Profile for Cliff Simmons > Reviews

Content by Cliff Simmons

Cliff Simmons "Ubuntu'd to death" (Brentwood, Essex, UK)

Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Third Edition: From Novice to Professional (Books for Professionals by Professionals)
by Keir Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Ubuntu Linux, 4 Jun. 2009
Having read a lot of reports in favour of Ubuntu and since it was available for installation for free I loaded it on my machine because I had been having one or two problems with Windows XP which would sometimes "fall-over" for no good or apparent reason. So I started out with high expectations of Ubuntu. Having never, ever seen the opening screen or, indeed, any Ubuntu screen before; I was a complete novice. I expected the book to 'hand-hold' me through the opening screens with, possibly, screen shots to show me where to place the mouse arrow for the location of such staple items as 'My Documents', My Pictures, My computer' etc. The sub-title described it as suitable for a Novice! It wasn't. At least, it wasn't suitable for this novice! I was still left to experimentally click on various fixed sites and icons which were not recognisably labelled. After a while I just gave up and the book has remained unread and unopened ever since. By experimentation I started recording the various drop-down Ubuntu menus using Prt Scr etc and I have built up quite a collection of all the various icons around the Desktop perimeter and the locations to which one can progress. This is what I suppose I expected to get from the book but did not I have now found my way around the various desktop sites and icons and I am now using Ubuntu more often than WindowsXP. However, I'm afraid, No Thanks to this book. Now it will go into the local Book Sale enterprise because I have no real use for it. I have to say, it failed me miserably!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2009 11:16 AM GMT