Profile for John Warrener > Reviews

Content by John Warrener

John Warrener "Strood_John" (Medway, Kent)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
4 Pairs of 12 Inch White Film Inflatable Boot Stretcher Shaper Shoe Tree
4 Pairs of 12 Inch White Film Inflatable Boot Stretcher Shaper Shoe Tree
Offered by Tcity

5.0 out of 5 stars Do the job economically, 27 Feb. 2015
My wife was somewhat sceptical when she ordered these but thought for the money, what's to lose! They do the job of holding the boots upright and haven't self-deflated over several weeks so she's quite happy with them. I imagine they would have to be blown up with a higher pressure pump to allow them to stretch leather - something we haven't tried!

Akasa AK-HDA-03 2.5-3.5 inch SSD/HDD Adapter
Akasa AK-HDA-03 2.5-3.5 inch SSD/HDD Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Metalwork, 26 Feb. 2015
O.K. - so it's a bit of bent metal, nothing to get overly excited over BUT it's well made and finished, all the holes lined up as they were supposed to, it does the job and it's a well-known manufacturer - happy customer!

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Offered by Take a Bite

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the second Samsung SSD I've fitted to my ..., 26 Feb. 2015
This is the second Samsung SSD I've fitted to my PC. I'm a spare-room music mixer and found that my Cubase software was placing a lot of pressure on the PC's resources so upgraded M/B, processor and memory then added these superfast drives for operating system and file storage. PC flies along now and yet to have any serious dropouts or failures. Considered trying another manufacturer's product but chickened out as first drive was so reliable. Recommended

Asus USB-BT400 3Mbps USB Bluetooth v4.0 Mini Dongle
Asus USB-BT400 3Mbps USB Bluetooth v4.0 Mini Dongle

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooo Easy! Had some problems with cheaper Bluetooth dongles in ..., 3 Aug. 2014
Sooooo Easy!

Had some problems with cheaper Bluetooth dongles in the past and have been a fan of Asus products for a while so, based on my experiences and the positive reviews for the product, I purchased this item. Just follow the simple installation instructions and you'll be up and running in no time. Highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 21 April 2014
We've been recording using studio style condenser mics but were finding feedback to be a problem as we record in a domestic spare room. We have tried putting foam baffles around the wall which helped but did not eliminate. I was looking for mics that had a higher than average output (for dynamic mics) and an improve cardioid pattern to improve tolerance to reflected sound pick-up. With these mics, we're able to record at a higher level without feedback starting. Obviously, compared to the studio condenser mics, the quality is slightly less but for us, it's certainly good enough and to get three in a sturdy carry case with mic holders is great value. Of course, they don't come with leads (which is obvious from the photograph) and I would not expect them to. And with the excellent Amazon service and delivery, what's not to like!!

LuvTab® Acer Iconia B1 / B1-A71 (7 inch tablet) Multifunctional Multi Angle Wallet / Cover / Stand / Flip Case, with Bullet Stylus Pen (Black)
Offered by Techccessorize UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet protection, 12 Jun. 2013
My Acer Iconia B1 tablet fits perfectly in this - this case has a solid feel to it and looks good. There are cut-outs to give access to buttons, power connector, etc that line up perfectly. Can be used as stand also and comes with a pen style touch wand held in a loop on the edge of the case that works better than a finger! The screen cover snaps shut on closing - not sure if this is sprung or uses magnets but certainly hold cover securely over screen. Outside of case has a leather appearance and the inside has a soft felt feel to it. I'm very happy with this item and consider it value for money. Recommended.

Logitech OEM S220 2.1 Speaker Black
Logitech OEM S220 2.1 Speaker Black
Offered by 3B-IT Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful speakers, 17 Jan. 2013
Got these for an excellent price from Amazon and to be honest, wasn't expecting too much but they are excellent - enough volume for working at the PC with plenty of bass (which is adjustable by control on sub-woofer). Considering the tiny size (45mm) of the left / right speakers, they certainly punch above their weight. The circular desk control allows volume adjustment and also has a mute switch and two 3.5mm jack sockets; one for headphones, the other for a microphone. There's also an orange LED to show that the speakers are powered up - this goes out when the mute switch is operated. All in all, great value and quality plus Amazon's usual excellent service.

Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones
Behringer C-3 Studio Condenser Microphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a tight budget, 15 Oct. 2012
Bought this to use in our home recording sessions to save having to dismount my Samson C01 condenser mic. Pleased with the performance considering how relatively little it costs and with the added bonus of having switchable pick-up patterns - cardioid, omni-directional and figure of eight. This means it can be used in a variety of situations and saves the cost of additional microphones.

This mic also features a 0-10db switch which could be useful when recording very percussive transient sounds and a low cut filter to help eliminate low frequency vibrations; so used with a shock mount might even deal with vocalists who tap their feet while singing!!

The output level compared with my Samson C01 is slightly less but has not caused any problems to date and can't say I've noticed any noise from the inbuilt pre-amp. Have quite a lot of Behringer gear and it is certainly value for money.

Mixing Secrets for  the Small Studio
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio
by Mike Senior

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mixing Gem!, 31 July 2012
If you're like me and relatively new to audio & midi mixing, this book is invaluable. I've read several books on the subject and what I really wanted to know was the practical process of putting together a selection of audio and midi tracks to create a quality sound. I got into mixing because two friends and I occasionally play together and we thought it would be great to have some record of our sessions. So armed with a couple of Zoom R series recorders and Cubase 6.5, I decided to "get stuck in".

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio gives me all I want to know from a practical point of view and while the importance of creating a good recording and mixing environment is stated in some detail, the majority of the book focuses on getting your hands dirty and actually mixing. The chapters are presented in a logical order, similar to how you would approach a real-life mixing session and for this reason, it is recommended that the book is read through in this order but once read, it's easy to dip in and out of sections for a refresher due to the excellent index and sensible chapter and section numbering. There is a reference section at the back covering producers and mixing engineers (from whom a lot of the specifics have been gathered) and details of books and magazines which have supplied quotes from these people.

For those of us on relatively limited budgets (and who isn't these days!), the author points you in the direction of the many free plug-ins available on the Internet to supplement whatever your chosen DAW has - and he doesn't make the mistake of concentrating on any particular DAW either so the text is quite generic. Also, many parts of the book refer to procedures, tips & tricks that I've not come across in other books or magazine; for example, setting the mixer faders to aroun 0dB and using pre-gain controls (either part of the DAW or 3rd party plug-ins) to adjust the gain of each channel. This way you get to use the mixer fader where it is most sensitive.

Mike Senior writes with a very easy and understandable style and does not beat you about the head with lots of numbers and equations; he also has a nice line in humour which does not get in the way of putting the subject over. The only other book that I can see me refering back to on this subject is Roey Izhaki's "Mixing Audio", which treats the subject in a more technical manner.

Excellent value for money and the usual great service from Amazon!

So, in a nutshell, "Mixing Secrets" is a winner in my opinion and should be the first book on the subject to be read if your just starting out.

Guerilla Home Recording: How to Get Great Sound from Any Studio - (No Matter How Weird or Cheap Your Gear Is) (Hal Leonard Music Pro Guides)
by Karl Coryat

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd Read This One First, 4 Jun. 2012
An excellent book on home recording that is as useful for "newbies" as it is for those who may be a little further down the learning road. Written in a casual, chatty style that does not intimidate, the writer assumes little prior knowledge of the subject. It covers both hardware mixing desks and DAWs and even has a section on Analogue Recording using tape (wish I hadn't sold my old Akai reel-to-reel :)).

I found the sections on frequency slotting and stereo panning very useful as it can sometimes be difficult to make a recording less "muddy" when the recorded items share many frequency ranges. I wish I'd read this book before tackling "Mixing Audio" by Roey Izhaki (another excellent book) as this is a gentler introduction to the subject but Izhaki's book is a much more in-depth tome. If, like me, you're working with a limited budget for equipment, using this book and music magazine articles will get you a long way towards your goal - and it's an excellent price from Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3