Profile for D. C. Njoku > Reviews

Content by D. C. Njoku

D. C. Njoku (Bracknell, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cover-Up Motorola Xoom Tablet (10.1 inch) Leather Cover Case (Book Style) - (Purple)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy but no thoughts to functionality, 8 Aug. 2012
This simply doesn't look as good as it does in the pictures. Mine came with some little pin-prick type dots on the case. the stitching is fine but what I am most disappointed about is that you can't charge it or use the earphone port without opening up the case (there goes music on the move!) - the closing flap simply gets in the way. And I'm thinking to remedy this by punching a hole through the flap. But besides a little dis-alignment which might be due to posting, the case is sturdy - so yes, your tablet will be protected. But for functionality I'll score it very low.

Pigeon English
Pigeon English

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, pity about the Pidgin..., 1 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Pigeon English (Kindle Edition)
I struggled to find affection for this book for a long time. Being of West African origin myself, I found it very hard to get past the jarringly ungrammatical pidgin English (yes, pidgin English has rules as strict as those of any other language) until I was almost halfway into the book.

However, once I got passed that hurdle (and it is a hurdle that I do not expect non-pidgin English-speaking readers to encounter) I felt as if I was living in those towers with Harri, experiencing danger made even more real by the filter of a child's eyes.

Ten minutes ago I turned the final page, and I have been sitting here shocked at how deeply I was immersed in that world and how greatly I have been affected by its goings-on.

I can't recommend it enough.

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives
The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives
by Lola Shoneyin

5.0 out of 5 stars A window to a world that you'll be glad you visited, 12 May 2010
"When Baba Segi awoke with a bellyache for the sixth day in a row, he knew it was time to do something drastic about his fourth wife's childlessness."

If the opening sentences of books are meant to somehow encapsulate the story, the tone, the language and the ambition of the book then I suggest you'll be hard pressed to find a book with a better opening than The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives.

The Secret Lives... tells the story of university-educated Bolanle who decides to marry an illiterate small businessman, Baba Segi, as his fourth wife. His other wives are also illiterate and, to varying degrees, ignorant, selfish, conniving and weak. Unsurprisingly, they are none too pleased at the arrival of this young interloper with her modern ways. The stage is now set for a domestic drama that is funny and yet often serious, lightweight and yet often profound.

So do I think you would enjoy The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives? I honestly don't see how you can't. It's a quick read - I'm quite a slow reader and it only took me a short(ish) while - and it's a very enjoyable read. It opens a window to a world that not many of us in the West have lived in - and I was a little surprised to find that, while it was undeniably different, it was still very familiar.

And did I mention that it was funny? No, well, it's funny.

JPod
JPod
by Douglas Coupland

1.0 out of 5 stars Microserfs all over again - but a lot worse, 9 Dec. 2007
This review is from: JPod (Paperback)
It is an accepted truism that Hollywood eats itself. Whenever a great movie is released a long tail of increasingly dire imitations by less-talented directors inevitably follow. What has happened with JPod is something similar. It is the cheap, pale, uninspired imitation of Microserfs - the only surprise is that both books come from the same author.

So what's wrong with the book? Well, to start off its sense of its own (ersatz) cleverness starts to grate very, very quickly. Yes, Douglas Coupland books have always been impressed with themselves, but the reader is only happy to accept this when there is something to be impressed with. JPod, unfortunately, is nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is.

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

1.0 out of 5 stars Paper-thin, 27 Oct. 2007
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
I don't mean to insult anyone who loves this book, but I found it extraordinarily lightweight, one of those smart-lite novels written to make the reader feel intelligent without having to put any real effort in.

Page after page of 'symmetry' and 'symbolism' is forced upon you (and it's all troweled on rather thickly, just in case you miss it the first time); the good guys are spotlessly good, the bad guys are cardboard-thin, and the coward is ruled by his cowardice.

Read this book, if you must, and try to enjoy it. But don't let anyone tell you that it's a clever or deep or intelligent book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2013 2:48 PM BST

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas
by David Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, Wonderful, Weird, Excellent, 27 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
I hear Richard & Judy are recommending this book. I'm not a fan of theirs, but this time they've definitely picked a winner. Because Cloud Atlas is simply one of the best books I've read in years - and that's not idle praise.
My advise to you, prospective reader, is this: buy the book but don't read another review. This book's structure is an absolute joy, but the pleasure would be magnified if you didn't know what to expect. So, while other reviews might not contain plot spoilers, they will rob you of that extra joy of discovering something new and unexpected.
Let me just say that this book is unlike anything else you would have read and I defy you not to fall in love with it.

Showtime
Showtime
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as his first, 10 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
If you liked Dizzee's first album then you'll love this one. This totally a different album from Boy In Da Corner, but in many ways it's similar. It still has that crazy production of his and those rhymes in that weird voice of his.
What makes this album different - and maybe better - is that the beats are lighter. They're more accessible (maybe cos he wants Americans to like it?). So if you just couldn't 'understand' Boy In Da Corner, give this album a listen. You might find it easier to get into.
One thing is sure tho. There's no one else out there that sounds like this. This boy's original!

Sweet Thames
Sweet Thames
by Matthew Kneale

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Tales, 20 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Sweet Thames (Paperback)
If, like me, you've come to this book after having read The English Passengers it might help if I start out by stating the obvious: Sweet Thames is a different book. And that's not a criticism, it's praise. A good writer creates anew; he does not clone his books: And Matthew Kneale is a good writer.
Sweet Thames is the tale of Joshua Jeavons, a man determined to clear up London's sewage problem. The book follows his struggle and for the first half of the book we think the sewage is to be the focus of everything. And then his wife leaves him and his real mission begins...
Sweet Thames is not The English Passengers. I've said that before, but here's one other difference: this book, while managing to be as entertaining (because it is a very entertaining book), is not as ambitious. It's not literary with a big L; it's more of a holiday book. Mr Kneale paints a pretty picture of London of old, but his characters are often two dimensional and some of his plot twists are contrived and not convincing.
But completeness and rounded figures are not what this book is about. Don't let my criticism put you off; you should read this book. It's fun. That's why you should read it: it's fun.
And what more can we honestly ask for?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2011 10:57 PM BST

Dictionary of the Khazars: Male Version : A Lexicon Novel
Dictionary of the Khazars: Male Version : A Lexicon Novel
by Milorad Pavic

4.0 out of 5 stars The novel NOT as we know it, 29 April 2004
I'm willing to bet my paycheck that you haven't read anything remotelylike "The Dictionary...". I know I hadn't. For one it is structured likea dictionary - or, perhaps more accurately, an encyclopaedia. The joy ofthis is that you can open the book at any page and read any entry at all(though I must recommend that you read the introduction before you dothis) and you'll be reading an entertaining 'storylet', which makes uppart of the overall story.
But M Pavic added an additional layer (or rather 3) of complexity to thisstructure: you see, this book is not one dictionary but three - aChristian, a Hebrew and a Muslim version. Each 'book' recounts the taleof the conversion of the Khazars, but approaches the story from theirdifferent viewpoint.
And this adds to the beauty of this book: You can read it 'diagonally' -i.e. read about a person or event (say Princess Ateh) in the Christianversion, then go to the Hebrew and see what they say about her, and thenon to the Muslim. The same story is often slanted subtly in each version- it's very engaging and very clever.
But this book is not just about gimmicks (because, face it, that's allthis dictionary structure really is). Pavic is a very good writer andevery sentence is sculpted, not a word is out of place. And with theKhazars he has (re)constructed a complete world. And it's a world I'mglad I visited.
One final word of warning: This is no holiday book, an easy airportlounge book. It is serious and dense and you have to wrestle its juicefrom it. The author is perhaps half-serious when he warns in theintroduction that readers have died or gone mad from attempting thisbook.
Still reading? Good. If I haven't scared you off, welcome to the worldof the Khazars. Enjoy.

The Twenty Seventh City
The Twenty Seventh City
by Jonathan Franzen

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but Occasionally Directionless, 28 April 2004
The talent of Mr Franzen should not be doubted. All that hullabaloo about the Oprah Book Club (I'm sure you've heard the story) sounds a bit likethe machinations of a PR campaign, but this time you CAN believe the hype. Or at least with The Corrections you can. This book, The 27th City,fails to attain the heights of J Franzen's more famous book.
Set in St Louis - America's 27th largest city, apparently - the bookdescribes the politics of a city and tells how one unscrupulouslyintelligent woman can manipulate thousands of lives. It also recounts thecorruption/awakening of an innocent man.
Sounds good so far. But as is sometimes the case, the story is lessinteresting than the synopsis. By pg 150 I was skipping paragraphs andthinking "So what?".
The problem, I think, is that Franzen attempts to straddle the dividebetween airport thriller and literary novel, adopting the language of theliterary but often employing it to tell tales of kidnappings, sex,idiosyncratic private detectives. That in itself, is not a bad thing andit's been done successfully before, but I'm not sure it works completelythis time.
Read The Corrections if you're looking for an introduction to Franzen'swork. Do come back to this one later, but don't expect the same highquality.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3