Profile for Miss C. Burton > Reviews

Content by Miss C. Burton

Miss C. Burton

Special Effects, Retouching and Restoration (Digital Photographer's Handbook)
Special Effects, Retouching and Restoration (Digital Photographer's Handbook)
by Tim Daly

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point, 16 Mar. 2004
I brought this book as a photography student to gain creative ideas and increase my knowledge of Photoshop.
This book starts at the beginning with information about how digital differs from film photography and what equipment is required. The book then goes on to explain different Photoshop techniques such as masking, repair, colour correction and alteration and special effects in detail, each section has a double page spread with original image and final outcome as well as step by step instructions and short cut key/ tool details.
Overall a nice book with all the detail you need to get started. This book would be of interest to people who have worked with film and are looking to start/ improve their digital photography. The book may be a bit basic for anyone who is a competent user of Photoshop’s basic techniques and tools.

Going Digital: Wedding Portrait and Photography
Going Digital: Wedding Portrait and Photography
by John Henshall

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 16 Mar. 2004
A nice book for ideas and information on going digital, although not aimed at the complete beginner, if you have a good knowledge of Photoshop or similar software this book may seem a little basic.
The images are well printed and have given me a variety of ideas although some technical information or lighting plan would be nice. The information about individual photographers’ experiences are interesting.
Overall a nice book for ideas and examples or if you are a film photographer wanting to do more digital work and learn the techniques.

360 Degrees London
360 Degrees London
by Nick Wood

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 25 Jan. 2004
This review is from: 360 Degrees London (Hardcover)
I received this book as a Christmas present, I had seen some of Nick Woods work before and have always been interested in cityscapes and London in particular. The reproduction prints in this book are fantastic quality although presenting them over a double page resulting in some image loss in the centre.
The images are really interesting fantastically composed and have inspired me to try 360° photography for myself as I feel these photographs are a brilliant way of documenting a space. The CD included features each of the panoramas as a QuickTime movie, allowing you to feel as if you are there.
A beautiful coffee table book as every time you look at it you see something different.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2010 2:14 PM BST

Photos That Sell: The Art of Successful Freelance Photography
Photos That Sell: The Art of Successful Freelance Photography
by Lee Frost

4.0 out of 5 stars A must, 25 Jan. 2004
I have been studying photography for 4 years now and have had good reviews of my work through uni exhibitions ect and somebody asked if I had sold any of my work, and suggested I look into possible markets.
I liked the sound of this but didn't know where to start this is when I stumbled across the Lee Frost book which appeared in my Amazon recommendations list. After reading the synopsis I decided to buy the book as I have some books by Lee frost and have found them very clear, concise and overall helpful.
This book is no exception with information about where to start looking and who to send submissions to depending on your work. He also gives a guide price (although this is in US $)for images and what to expect.
Further sections in the book deal with subjects that sell these sections cover a wide range of topics, showing previously successful prints, with information about why they sold and the exposure details, as well as suggesting new innovative ideas for you to try.
The book contains a list of useful contacts situated around the world.
Overall I would suggest this book as a starting point for anyone wishing to start making money from their photography.

Starting Photography
Starting Photography
by Michael Langford

4.0 out of 5 stars Starting Photography, 4 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Starting Photography (Paperback)
I brought this book to aid my A-level photography course, I have found it very helpful. It explains everything clearly using text and diagrams.
It would be a great asset to any photographer but especially useful to beginers