Profile for Jaques Jaques Liverot > Reviews

Content by Jaques Jaques ...

Jaques Jaques Liverot

Lost Sirens
Lost Sirens

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected!, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lost Sirens (Audio CD)
I've been a New Order fan since the 80s - when I used to queue up at record shops on a Monday, behind sulky youths in T-shirts and black trench coats, to buy the latest release - so I bought this out of a sense of loyalty.

I'm not keen on Waiting for the Sirens' Call, and rarely listen to it, so I didn't have high expectations for this EP - effectively the sweepings from the floor after they made that last album.

I have to say, though, that it's not that bad. I actually prefer it to WFTSC. Bernard Sumner said in a recent Guardian interview that it was made at a time when Peter Hook had lost interest in New Order and wanted to pursue his DJing career. I think you can hear that in this record - the relative lack of his distinctive bass moves the sound more into Pet Shop Boys territory. It still compares favourably with releases from younger bands, though.

It's also interesting that it's marketed as an EP - it's longer than the second XX album, for example, and only a minute or so shorter than Technique.

Ghostory
Ghostory

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Electropop, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Ghostory (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite music purchases of 2012.

Like a danceable Cocteau Twins, I'm sure that this will appeal to fans of the indie end of electropop, such as New Order, Depeche Mode or the Pet Shop Boys. Fans of those might also find that Grimes' Visions is right up their street.

My only criticism would be the sound quality - it is rather compressed, so listening to the whole album at a reasonable volume level can induce listening fatigue.

An Awesome Wave [VINYL]
An Awesome Wave [VINYL]
Offered by nagiry

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Winner of the Mercury Prize, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: An Awesome Wave [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is one of my favourite albums of recent years - there isn't a duff track on it. It takes me back to my teenage years in the 80s when music was less dull and predictable and lyrics less banal. It contains hints of all sorts of things from They Might Be Giants to Fleet Foxes.

The sound quality is pretty good for a modern recording. I was disappointed to see that it was on white vinyl, but close your eyes and you wouldn't know - it's not as noisy as other coloured pressings (such as Field Music's Plumb, which is purple).

Born to Die
Born to Die

1.0 out of 5 stars Video Games + 11 Filler Tracks, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Born to Die (Audio CD)
Why this featured on so many "Best of 2012" lists is completely beyond me!

I'd listened to this album on Spotify, so I knew that it was Video Games plus 11 tedious and derivative filler tracks. I purchased the CD (cheaply) because I liked Video Games but was disappointed by the quality of MP3 and streamed versions. They have a distorted vocal which I assumed was due to compression artefacts - but this is also present on the CD copy.

My advice would be to download Video Games and buy Bat for Lashes' Haunted Man instead.

Festive 180 Snowing Icicle LED Lights, Warm White
Festive 180 Snowing Icicle LED Lights, Warm White
Offered by PINK AND BLUE GIFTS

2.0 out of 5 stars Good colour, rather fast, LEDs failed quickly, 29 Dec. 2012
We find that a lot of LED lights give a very stark light, but we were pleased with the warm, yellowish light that these gave.

There is only one pattern for the lights, but that's a "snowing" effect, which we would have chosen anyway. The speed is adjusted with a rotary control, so that they don't need to be re-adjusted when you turn them off and on again. However, we found that the "snowing" effect was a bit fast, even on the slowest setting.

Unfortunately, though, four of the LEDs had already stopped working by Christmas Day, so the lights will be returned.

Panasonic 5-Blade ES-LV61 Wet and Dry Electric Shaver
Panasonic 5-Blade ES-LV61 Wet and Dry Electric Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves No Sharp Stubble, 11 Sept. 2012
This is an excellent shaver - clearly better than my previous Philishave. It's everything that everyone else says it is - quick, close and easy to use. Shaving is now a joy, and I never think about the cost.

The reason I felt moved to write a review is that none of the other reviews I'd seen had answered one of the concerns I had before I made the purchase. One of the many reasons that I don't like to wet shave is that it leaves me with very sharp stubble that is uncomfortable and snags my clothes (I have quite a dark beard). If this shaver is supposed to shave as close as a wet razor, would it also leave me with sharp stubble?

Well, I'm pleased to report that it doesn't. It shaves as close in 3.5 minutes as I can get in a sensible amount of time with a razor, but with far less irritation, and it leaves my face feeling much smoother once the whiskers start to grow back.

The ArchAndroid
The ArchAndroid

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, I Suppose, 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The ArchAndroid (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because it was the Guardian's top album of 2010, and was placed highly in other "best of the year" polls.

I think it's high ranking must say more about the rest of the year's output - although I'm warming to The National's "High Violet", which is also placed highly in many polls - than the quality of this offering.

It's a decent-enough pop album, but nothing special. It's reasonably varied, and it reminded me in places of the first Kelis album - albeit blander. Unlike one of the other reviewers, I found the sound quality to be no worse than most other modern CDs - although that's hardly a commendation.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2011 9:36 AM BST