Profile for J. Collins > Reviews

J. Collins "Jono" (UK)

Off Grid: A guide to living free
Off Grid: A guide to living free
by Jon Venezia

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, at least the paper version is recyclable..., 18 Feb. 2015
I agree entirely with Lilly's review, below. The subject matter is very important but unfortunately the skill of the author has left it far short of the mark. The topics in this book have been "skirted over": there is little depth in any of the topic areas and far too much time spent, unfounded, bashing the "Capitalist". Further to this, it is nigh on impossible to read with such a plethora of typographical mistakes, poor grammar, and seemingly random Clip-Art-esque images which squeeze portions of the ill-formatted text down the edge of the pages.

There are far superior books on the market that offer more concise, objective, and transparent information and I implore you shop around before resorting to purchasing this (research Chris Goodall, Alan AtKisson or Tim Pullen, for example). This subject requires a delicate pitch and evokes strong opinions from extremes both sides of centre - regrettably, something that this book fails at completely.

Bissell Cleanview Proheat Carpet Cleaner
Bissell Cleanview Proheat Carpet Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most depressing thing I've ever done..., 20 Feb. 2014
It looks brilliant now it's done, but I'm making my wife do it next time. It's good to share. :-)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2015 12:00 AM GMT

Amcor Portable Evaporative Air Cooler With Twin Coolflow
Amcor Portable Evaporative Air Cooler With Twin Coolflow

1.0 out of 5 stars It worked.... in the sense that the fans went round a bit., 2 Aug. 2012
Think twice about this one. I bought this product to cool my loft (come studio) as the heat stored up in the day was killing my laptop.

I tried the cooler out with ice-cold water (hoping for maximum affect) but unfortunately did not record any noticeable difference in temperature. After around 3 hours of perseverance - if you can call it that - I gave up and went back to using the desk fan.

I think if it had been half the price I might not have been bothered and just used it as another fan but this really doesn't cut the mustard.

I'm currently arranging for the unit to be returned. I know its cheap for a cooler, but you get what you pay for, if you want something that does what it says on the tin then you'd best look elsewhere, it might cost you a small fortune though.

Vax Steam Mop - S2S-1 Bare Floor Pro With Detergent
Vax Steam Mop - S2S-1 Bare Floor Pro With Detergent

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good...., 29 Mar. 2012
Being a man I'd naturally been gifted the task of putting it together... which is easy, just one click. My fiancee was out when I'd received delivery of it from Vax, so I thought I'd take it for a spin.

We'd been struggling somewhat with the floor over the winter as the cats brought half the garden in with them each time they came, I'd briefly toyed with the idea of rigging the steamer to the cat flap so it would steam them upon entry... I decided against this as I'd probably just end up with a pile of wet mice. I digress. My colleague bought the previous Vax hard floor cleaner and it was rubbish, so much so she's getting rid after just two uses, flexibility and maneuverability were the issues here, and although I had to will myself to put the chairs upturned on the table and the Chicken Doorstop on the side I found working round furniture and corners was a breeze...

It says it takes one minute to warm up and it's true to it's word, and after a quick hoover I was steaming like nobody's business. You must avoid the temptation to whizz it back an forth like a hoover, and avoid using soooooo much steam that the hallway turns into a nightclub. You only need a bit for the tough bits, the head stays warm and wet enough to act as a mop would. Fortunately it was better than mop, because it was expensive. I didn't get any straggly hairs or smears across the floor; the micro-fibre pad was even throughout.

The best thing of all is it looks like it might be made by Apple, so there's a chance you could con the kids into doing it for you. Shame you can't plug the Ipod in somewhere.

I had a little detergent over so I thought I'd have a go at the two-glass wine stain I'd graced the living room carpet with at new years, my mother's steamer failed miserably here and to be honest so did this. I wasn't expecting much, I'm now so used to the two tone Beige/Merlot effect it doesn't bother me much. So... I can't really say more about the carpet side of things, although the carpet slider bit was genius, I'll be using this when my Pool triangle breaks or gets lost, I might even have a go at the rest of the carpet when I've got more time and not got a pizza beeping at me from indise the oven. Plus it only takes a minute to heat.

No more gritty dirty laminate underfoot so I'm chuffed, thanks Vax!
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2013 5:12 PM GMT

Slate Double Coaster and Placemats (Tablemats) - Set of 8
Slate Double Coaster and Placemats (Tablemats) - Set of 8
Offered by Naturally Med

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised..., 2 Mar. 2012
I was at first dubious as most equivalent products are twice the price, and do not include the double coasters, however I was pleasantly surprised when these arrived.

Although slate is a brittle material and could crack under weight, these are nice and thick and look like they will withstand event the most vigorous of diners...

I'd say the quality is more than acceptable for the half price alternative, other brands were coming in at £10 per placemat! I assume the cost has been cut by using four rubber feet on each mat instead of the complete back-coating of rubber seen on other makes, they seem to do the job pretty well.

Naturally Med provided a quick and professional service and the products were packaged extremely well! 2 days for delivery and great customer service.

Ta,
J

PetSafe Staywell Deluxe Magnetic Cat Flap
PetSafe Staywell Deluxe Magnetic Cat Flap
Offered by Paws To Your Door

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed., 28 Jun. 2011
Initially the product looked really good, as first time cat owners (4 yr old girls who had never used a cat flap before) we thought it best to get a magnetic flap to keep other cats out. After getting used to the magnetic thud, the cats came and went as they pleased.

The issue arose when one of our cats removed its collar (again), and we were worried it wouldn't be able to gain access and would wake us up at stupid o'clock in the morning, but upon waking, we found our cat curled up on her bed. It turns out that she didn't need the magnet to get in and infact just pushed her way in bending the flap slightly so it clicked over the magnetic stop. Not impressed, waste of time I think.

15pcs Door Kitchen Damper Buffers Soft Closer GREY color
15pcs Door Kitchen Damper Buffers Soft Closer GREY color
Offered by Goodefiner

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me..., 6 Jun. 2011
I have reasonable quality kitchen units, the doors are pretty standard veneered chipboard. Upon testing these after installation, the damper did stop the door from slamming shut, however I noticed that the door sat slightly proud of home when it came to rest, I put this down to the door weight being too light to keep the sping compressed.

I tired mounting the damper a few mmm back from the cupboard egde to no avail, the door slams shut as it did without the damper. I tried various combinations of location and quantities but had no luck.

This product did not work on my kitchen units. I guess you get what you pay for!

Please test somewhere inconspicuous before using these.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 7:29 PM BST

Fallout 3: The Official Strategy Guide
Fallout 3: The Official Strategy Guide
by Future Press

4.0 out of 5 stars Includes A Poster Map...., 26 Nov. 2008
I'm in agreement with the content of the other reviews, although I tend to read the relevant sections after I've completed the tasks/missions, just out of further interest....

The only thing I will add is this volume DOES include an A3 double sided poster map with all Zones and places marked on it, which I have found to be very useful. This is not clear on the product information.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff but be warned!, 19 April 2008
These work fine, although I could only get them to work on x16 speed of burning, all higher speeds caused the cd drive to make a loud grinding sound (Can't be good!) so be warned when the label says 48x compatible as i found this to be untrue! Otherwise great stuff and consistently good quality throughout....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2010 7:50 PM GMT