Profile for Brian Canavan > Reviews

Content by Brian Canavan

Brian Canavan "Husband, father, business owner, business/people optimiser and marketing strategist." (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Persuading, Convincing, and Influencing Others

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for anyone who haes selling or being sold to, 12 May 2014
Pink does an incredible job of allowing us to reframe the idea of selling into a value exchange where we are not "selling" but allowing the "seller" or value adder to allow the purchaser to become acquainted with how our product can help them and thus add value.

If selling is a dirty word for you and you are struggling to "sell" or gain new customers then read this book.

Self-Hypnosis: A Practical Guide to Self-Hypnosis
Self-Hypnosis: A Practical Guide to Self-Hypnosis

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this a s teenager and still the best I've read, 10 Feb 2014
Don't be fooled by old this book is or its prIce tag.

I used this book unguided as a teenager to help with emotional issues I had at the time and still refer my clients to it now.

i've subsequently undergone minor invasive surgery without anaesthetic using the techniques in this book (though I'd take the medical route if available too.)

Quite simple to read an understand with no psychobable or mumbo jumbo, this book will give you the essentials to teaching yourself self-hypnosis.

You don't need a separate book for each issue or problem. Just read this follow the instructions and write good solid affirmations. then just practice religiously.

Go on you'll be glad you did.

The Profitable Consultant: Starting, Growing, and Selling Your Expertise
The Profitable Consultant: Starting, Growing, and Selling Your Expertise

4.0 out of 5 stars if you are ain independent knowledge worker/consultant buy this now, 10 Feb 2014
I'm going to say right out that I've recently become a Certified Innermetrix Consultant before I start this review; so I'm already a bit of Jay Niblick fan.
That said I bought the Profitable Consultant book by Jay yesterday with every intention of letting it wait in line with my other reading list, which is quite extensive.
However, I decided to have a wee quick peak at the forward and maybe the first chapter just to see if I should promote it up the list...and well I finished it in one sitting.
You know that moment when you face palm yourself when someone describes a whole host of things you've been doing wrong? Yip that was yesterday. Oh, ok I kinda knew already but to have someone put it in nice plain language in front of me was a bit of a slap in the face.
Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not starving here and we’ve done great work with clients but Jay pointed out a few home truths about me as a solopreneur, as chief pleb and bottle washer as well as strategist, director and doer that frankly made me read the rest of the book in one go and do some of the exercises as I went a long (and yes I’m going to do the rest ASAP).

You see here was someone who knew exactly what I was going through, knew the mistakes yes, but also gave practical easy step by step advice on how to turn it all around.

Easy to read and think about but maybe not so easy to put in to practice I hear you say. Well guess what. I’ve de some of the practice already and it’s already reaping rewards with a clarity of my role, tasks I should be doing and more importantly not be doing in my business. AND how to offload some of the non CEO, and non talent work from my desk at low or no cost.

In short a MUST READ for independent consultants

Dreams Come True, All They Need Is You
Dreams Come True, All They Need Is You
by Mike Dooley

4.0 out of 5 stars A poem of real happiness for kids, 12 Aug 2013
This lovely illustrated poem gives the message that any child can achieve their dreams if they try hard enough and believe! A lovely message for any child ad beautifully illustrated too.

Vtech InnoTab 2 (Pink)
Vtech InnoTab 2 (Pink)
Offered by Howleys Toy Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars good but a little slow, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Vtech InnoTab 2 (Pink) (Toy)
Great educational tablet but a little slow on the processor side. My daughter does however love it. Goes through batteries at a rate of knots so well wort getting the mains and car adaptors.

FISHER PRICE SMART FIT PARK
FISHER PRICE SMART FIT PARK

4.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun on wet days, 21 May 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FISHER PRICE SMART FIT PARK (Toy)
My daughter loves the Smart Fit Park. A 4 year old, she loves being "a clever big girl" running and solving the various puzzles. It seems a tad repetitive for me but I suppose its good for the learning stimulus to be repeated adn boy does it use up that energy on wet rainy afternoons. :)

Change Your Words, Change Your World (Insights)
Change Your Words, Change Your World (Insights)

4.0 out of 5 stars Andrea's little book of wonders, 21 May 2012
Andrea's book is a wee gem for anyone wishing to explore the benefits of NLP and, to use her phrase, self leadership.

Told through Andrea's own experience with suggestions of how to apply the techniques this is a great introductory read for anyone interested in NLP but reluctant to read the more mundane textbook style books on the subject.

Her self effacing humour and humility throughout the book make reading the book and its subject matter so much more enjoyable.

Why only 4 stars? Well I'll save that one for me when I've implemented and succeeded in the changes that Andrea has opened my eyes to.

Go read it.

Sony HDRCX115EB High Definition Handycam Camcorder - Black
Sony HDRCX115EB High Definition Handycam Camcorder - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value For Money, 10 Jan 2011
This is a fantastic product for the money. Simple point and shoot facility and even good in low light. THe free software does take a while to download for upgrades but its very easy to use and the tagging facility and calendar are useful

Lm Technologies 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter for PC
Lm Technologies 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter for PC

5.0 out of 5 stars Works first time no hassles, 30 Nov 2010
My internal wireless adapter corrupted due to a Windows update (I do wish they would make sure these are backwards compatible) and I was left high and dry looking at a major new purchase but this wee gadget did the trick. Plugged it in and it worked first time, no hassles, no fiddly set up and away we go. Thoroughly Recommended.

Nikon Creative Lighting System Digital Field Guide
Nikon Creative Lighting System Digital Field Guide
by J. Dennis Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Great cure for insomnia, 7 May 2010
Definitely an old school type "manual". Great cure for insomnia but focuses far too heavily on background theory and not enough on how to get the best out of the actual system in practical uses.

Page: 1 | 2