Profile for Mitchell > Reviews

Mitchell (UK)

Xbox 360 250GB Console
Xbox 360 250GB Console
Offered by Turbotrance

1.0 out of 5 stars Great technology but constant updates and cynical marketing kills it, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Console)
Great fun when it works. Total pain in the ass when it has to install updates (constantly) and when the marketing team are so focussed on data capture and up-selling to kids that they put the player experience second.
I remember the day when you turned on a games station and inside 10 seconds you were up and running - playing the game. Maybe its's just me, but that is the fundamental point isn't it - to play the game? Not to me sold to, up sold to Xbox Live, Gold etc.
Countless times my 7 year old has turned on the Xbox eager to get stuck into a game and connect with his friends. Only to discover it needs yet another update. I wouldn't mind if this was a 20 second process, but no this could be 30 minutes of frustrated 7 year old time. Just want to play the game!!
Big corporates only want to data capture, profile, tie you in, up sell to you, get your credit card details, get you on a monthly charge structure, sell your data to partner companies...etc.
Yes the technology is great but the focus is no longer on the player experience its on how you're going to leverage that player to get as much money out of them as possible. Yes that's business in a cut throat sector, but it stinks. I've bought a games console to play games - if I wanted to be exploited I'd play internet games and accept the marketing accept as part and parcel of that sector.

Scalextric Start C1273 Disney Cars 2 1:32 Scale Race Set
Scalextric Start C1273 Disney Cars 2 1:32 Scale Race Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Trading on history, 27 Dec 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I was truly excited to be introducing the world of Scalectrix to my 4 year old son - however it wasn't as good as I expected.

What frustrates me is that Scalectrix (Hornby) have been trading on this concept for over 50 years, enjoyed years of global domination and yet they clearly have invested not 1 penny in development or innovation. And yet they charge a massive premium for their name, which frankly I now know if a pretty flimsy offering.

Me and my son spent at least an hour on Xmas morning trying to get the thing to work. Yes it finally did crack into life but the thing is so tempremental you are lucky to get more that 4 minutes use out of the thing before some other issue crops up and has to be sorted.

Any share holders and the management team at Hornby are making a very nice profit churning out exactly the same kit they did 50 years ago. If they have no aspiration to innovate then they will only stay in business as long as nostolgic fools like me buy a Scalectrix to relive the fun with their sons. It simply is not up to scratch.

Given the technological advancements we have seen over the past 50 years I have to say Scalectrix is a joke.

Only purchase if you are happy to endure what it was like to play with a toy in 1955.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2012 5:01 PM BST

Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Dry Stripe Crew
Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Dry Stripe Crew
Price: £17.85 - £44.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but one issue..., 18 Dec 2009
I've used both an older version Helly and now this more recent version (Lifa). As a base layer the old version was great, had a cotton feel, wicked well and did the job.
This more recent version has a very different feel to it, I guess best described as a nylon feel. This in its self is not an issue, but having used a few times now as a base layer for winter runs I have to report sore nipples are the outcome from moderate 50 minute runs every time...and that is not what I want or expect from Helly.
I've run in basic cotton t-shirts as well as Nike running tops and never had sore nipples - the only exception being when I got soaked in a downpour on a very long run.
I'm baffled that a brand such as Helly, with a heritage of performance base layer for athletes has produced a product that is so abrasive - was it thoroughly tested?? Or is this just effecting me??
Who know's, but this is what happened and it's annoyed me so much that I felt compelled to review it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2011 8:08 PM BST

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor after sales service, 4 Dec 2007
Whilst the product does the job and is pretty much as you'd expect from a middle priced brand the after sales service is poor.
My remote control stopped working after 3 months (yes checked the batteries!!) so I contacted Goodmans. They came up with every excuse in the book as to why they were not responsible for the product...how I should contact the retailer and it was nothing to do with them.
By comparison, I had a Humax freeview box a few years back, remote packed in, so I contacted them and they immediately posted a new one.
Seems to me that the big brands don't give a stuff about customer satisfaction - they got their sell now you're on your own. Shame really, for the sake of a small cost remote control I'll never buy Goodmans again.