Profile for Robin Ashwell > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Tiger Laptop/DJ Stand
Tiger Laptop/DJ Stand

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, but not one for the road..., 23 Feb 2014
This is a great value stand, easy to assemble but a little bit flimsy for use on the road. I dropped mine last night at a gig and bent the metal rods. Luckily they can be bent back into shape but I will probably investigate something a bit more robust... Great for studio use etc.

High Quality 4 String Vintage Bass Bridge Cr for Squier/fender Jazz Bass
High Quality 4 String Vintage Bass Bridge Cr for Squier/fender Jazz Bass
Offered by lotmusic_sz

1.0 out of 5 stars You gets what you pays for..., 23 Feb 2014
I needed a cheap black bridge for a bass I was building using left overs from another project and really wasn't expecting much at this price to be honest. However I was a bit disappointed when the little Allen screws all sheared when initially setting up the saddle heights.

Ram memory upgrades 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3 10600 1333MHz for your Apple Macbook Pro and iMac
Offered by KOMPBAY

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 23 Feb 2014
I checked the spec of the existing RAM chips very carefully before ordering and was therefore disappointed to find that these did not work in my 2010 iMac. Not sure if the chips were faulty or if I had done something fundamentally wrong but the iMac refused to boot up until I took them out again. I heard Macs were fussy about the type of memory and will therefore have to pay extra for Apple certified...

Yamaha MCR042 Micro Component System - Orange (Digital Docking, USB Intelli Alarm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Phunky!, 29 Jan 2014
Got this as aChristmas present for our 12 year old son. He absolutely loves it. Major pros are there is not only a standard iPod dock for the original style iPod but also USB for connecting iPad, iPhone, etc. The DAB radio is great and superb clear reception. Really really impressed with the sound quality. Build quality also fantastic an a great range of very funky colours - we went for the orange one and it looks uber cool. I could wax lyrical ad nauseum etc etc, so just go and buy one!

Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2014  Single Licence
Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2014 Single Licence
Price: £1,204.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful "upgrade" on PC, I can't comment on Mac..., 29 Jan 2014
I am an architect and have been using Autocad since Release 10 circa 1990, which anyone else decrepit enough to remember this will know it was quite cumbersome, requiring 2 screens, one for commands and one for the graphics display, and a digitiser tablet for inputting commands as there was no mouse in those days! In fact Autocad for Windows was not introduced until the mid 90s I recall.

Anyway, I have continued to use Autocad, mainly the LT version, through LT98, 2000, 2006, right up to LT2007 which was the last version I bought, which has since become outmoded. Having become tired of the embarrassment of having to phone clients and consultants and ask them to reissue their drawings in LT 2007 format I decided it was time to take the plunge and invest £1,140 in this version, LT 2014.

What a mistake. Right from the start I found the menu system highly irregular and had to contact Autodesk for instructions on how to restore the "classic" view. It was only after registering the product that I really began to discover its irritating nuances however.

There appears to be a glitch, when selecting multiple objects to copy or move for instance, the base point defaults to a seemingly random origin and I end up with objects all over the place. This may sound trivial but it is infuriating. The alternate verb-noun / noun-verb command system is no longer intuitive and does not seem to understand what you are telling it to do.

Also and again this is highly irritating, using the mouse wheel to zoom out will not allow you to zoom out fully and a comment appears in the command line saying "Already zoomed out as far as possible". You then have to Zoom Extents before then zooming out by a multiple i.e. 0.5x to get the drawing to the size you want on the screen.

I could go on, but am really boring myself now.

What I suspect is that Autodesk have developed the product for the Mac and optimised it for PC rather than the other way round, which is why Mac users have historically never liked Autocad and for the last few years up until the 2014 version, it has not been available on the Mac OS platform. It is certainly now highly irritating and counter intuitive not to mention counter productive.

Fortunately I still have LT2007 and will continue to use that until I either die of OZVE (Over Zealous Value Engineering), CPOF (Chronic Planning Officer Fatigue) or PFS (Professional Fee Starvation), all medical conditions that did not exist back in 1990. At least I now have the ability to open LT2014 format drawings and then resave them in 2007 format!

I can think of 1,140 reasons NOT to reccommend this product. For me, it was a total waste of money. If this is the future then I can't wait to liquidate my business and retire!

Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus [Blu-ray]
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Heath Ledger

2.0 out of 5 stars Too surreal for me at the time..., 27 Sep 2013
Although I am generally a great fan of all things surreal, I only endured this for just over an hour before my brain began to melt. I'm sure it's a good film but I suspect you have to be in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate it, which I wasn't at the time. The chase scene on increasingly lengthening stilts is just insane.

Netgear XAVB1301-100UKS 200 Mbps Mini Powerline Twin Pack Ethernet Adapter
Netgear XAVB1301-100UKS 200 Mbps Mini Powerline Twin Pack Ethernet Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect home networking solution!, 26 Jun 2013
Having struggled with dodgy WiFi for the last 18 months I bought 4 of these and they have cured all my problems. Using them for streaming HD video and music, they work perfectly. Completely plug & play, no fiddly set-up. It literally took less than 5 minutes to get all 4 up and running!

Cable Mountain 2m High Quality Gold Plated 2x Phono to 2x Phono RCA Cable
Cable Mountain 2m High Quality Gold Plated 2x Phono to 2x Phono RCA Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain at this price!, 26 Jun 2013
At this price you can't go wrong, I have tried these alongside a more expensive set of leads I have from a "high-end" brand and could not tell any difference in sound quality...

TDK Life On Record USB Powered Vinyl Turntable with UK Mains Plug - Black
TDK Life On Record USB Powered Vinyl Turntable with UK Mains Plug - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great turntable!!, 26 Jun 2013
In 1990 I sold my entire record collection for £50 to fund the purchase of a new bass guitar amp, one of the few things I can honestly say I've always regretted doing. So I was delighted when my mother in law came back from an antiques auction recently with a huge box of records she had bought for £10, including many of the works of ELP, Pink Floyd,Yes, Genesis, etc etc. This meant I had to get a turntable...

I had already looked in some depth at various "budget" turntables around the £230 mark with serious audiophile aspirations by the likes of Rega and Project etc, but had 2 main issues with these. Firstly they require a separate phono stage pre-amp and secondly the speed can only be switched from 33RPM to 45RPM by manually adjusting the drivebelt (not a problem for me, but fiddly for others). In addition to these and without wanting to sound shallow, the Project and Rega turntables just look to me like a piece of painted MDF, being very functional in appearance.

I therefore decided to purchase the TDK model on the basis it includes an integrated phono stage pre-amp and adjustable speed. What Hi-Fi also rated it 4 stars i.e. I nvisaged it would only be marginally inferior to the Rega and Project models in terms of sonic performance.

I was absolutely delighted upon taking delivery of the turntable, which is beautifully packaged. I personally tend to find that the design of the packaging is usually a good indicator of the quality of the product itself and was not disappointed! The turntable is satisfyingly weighty with a dark grey brushed aluminium surround, piano gloss black turntable platrform and silver controls and stylus arm. The design is 70's retro in some respects (faux black leather cover with white stitching) and 80's horror in others (the pulsating LED sound meter which is completely unecessary in my opinion). Very solidly built and easy to set up. Its overall appearance compliments my system very well (Marantz unit with DALI speakers) and it does not look at all out of place.

Importantly, the sound! I favour a fairly flat EQ setting with just a tiny amount of bass and treble boost. The clarity and definition of PInk Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" is incredible and the production quality can really be appreciated. Heaven 17's "The Luxury Gap" is also reproduced in fantastic clarity. I was blown away by the audible detail that is so obviously lacking in compressed digital audio formats! I admit the bass does not have quite as much "weight and authority", to quote What HiFI, as I would have really liked but being reasonable I think that is just being a bit picky at this price point! Let's face it, you can always turn the bass up... or spend £12K on a proper turntable!!

What also really impressed me is that there is a switch at the rear to bypass the integrated phono stage pre-amp, should I ever decide to upgrade and purchase a separate pre-amp.

I have not tried the USB record facility and am unlikely to in all honesty. The included software is not compatible with Mac. TDK recommend Audacity as a compatible audio recording interface for Mac users. I do use audacity regularly and it is a fine piece of software which is easy to use so the lack of Microsoft compatibility should not put anyone off.

In summary, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 12:09 PM GMT

Deluxe horse mask with main black and tan colouring
Deluxe horse mask with main black and tan colouring
Offered by One Click Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest thing I've seen in years!, 3 Jun 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I haven't actually got one of these but I did buy a rubber Stag's head from the same manufacturer for my brother's stag do which was just perfect.

However having just returned from Las Vegas, I was enjoying Calvin Harris' afternoon set in Wet Republic at the MGM Grand, which was itself one of the most hedonistic experiences of my life (think of pumping EDM at very high dBs, water guns, vodka cocktails, tiny bikinis and very high heels and you're there)... there was a chap in the lazy river wearing one of these. It was absolutely brilliant.

My 11 year old son, who was accompanying me for educational purposes, wants one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5