Profile for D. S. Pine > Reviews

Content by D. S. Pine

D. S. Pine "Davo Love" (Cornwall)

Pretty Blue Eyes [Explicit]
Pretty Blue Eyes [Explicit]
Price: 2.76

5.0 out of 5 stars 28 years, 28 long long years, 10 Jun 2013
When this lot released their last recording my daughter was younger than her daughter is now, cd's were just a new fad that wouldn't last, and Frankie said relax! 28 years ago I read NME and Melody Maker every week to see if James King and the Lonewolves had released their album. They never did, just a few singles and 12 inchers, and my video recording of them on Whistle Test, the same edition as Meatloaf (and Carla) put on an excellent show. Anyway, occasionally I google them just in case, and lo! and behold, a new release, and promises of more (maybe). And it's good, probably just worth 5 stars, but the wait adds a bit. Thank God for the internet, which 28 years ago wasn't even a dream. 28 years, bloody hell, long time...

American Twilight
American Twilight
Price: 11.30

5.0 out of 5 stars David Eugene Edwards strikes again, 9 May 2013
This review is from: American Twilight (Audio CD)
I know he isn't the major player here, but DEE can do no wrong. Return to form for the band after a long time and I think the American influence has really helped. I just recommended John Murry's new album as a possible 'Album of the Year', and then remembered it'll have to beat this one, which could be tight. We're just lucky to have 2 this good this soon in the year.

The Graceless Age
The Graceless Age
Offered by zoverstocks
Price: 9.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit early for 'Album of the Year', but..., 9 May 2013
This review is from: The Graceless Age (Audio CD)
Once again I heard one of the tracks on Uncut magazines' CD and liked it, listened to some others, and decided to buy the deluxe package. It might be a CD you need to be in the right mood for, (luckily I have been) but if you like 'Last Pale Light In The West' by Ben Nichols of Lucero, 'Nebraska' by Springsteen, mixed up with melodic Tom Waits, then this could be for you. Definitely worth a good listen. And a message to Uncut magazine, keep up the good work, thank-you.

Blood Oaths of the New Blues
Blood Oaths of the New Blues
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets better the more I hear it, 23 Jan 2013
Like so often happens I buy 2,3 or 4 CDs at the same time, and invariably 1 or 2 get "left behind". This band being a case in point with Second Attention. I got it and because it wasn't an "instant" type of music didn't play it a lot. (Bought it because it was on an Uncut sampler.) Read a review of Blood Oaths... and played Second Attn. a couple of times and guess what, really good, bought Blood Oaths... and it's the same, not instant but it gets better with playing.

Lawless
Lawless
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Cave can do no wrong, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Lawless (Audio CD)
It's up there with the best of Cave's work, even though you don't hear his voice that much, but you have got Lanegan, who also does no wrong. Curious people doing curious covers doesn't sound promising, but it totally works, every track. Similar in style and content to the Jeffrey Lee Pierce Sessions Projects, this works just as well, and hopefully introduces other 'new bands / singers'. Take a punt on this as a Christmas present for someone who likes music, they'll thank you.

The Laughing Stalk
The Laughing Stalk
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 13.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of the year?, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Laughing Stalk (Audio CD)
I used to prefer 16 Horsepower over Wovenhand, but this is something else. Considering Mark Lanegan released an album this year for me to say best of the year must mean something. It's Gothic (in a good way), it gets me dancing (in a bad way), and I can't stop playing it. Not a bad track on it, and ... I don't know, words fail me, just listen to it and see.

Awesome Color
Awesome Color
Price: 9.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another one, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: Awesome Color (Audio CD)
Got to agree, this is yet another case of a really great release not getting anything like the plaudits it deserves.