Profile for James > Reviews

Content by James

James (Britain)

WFS Round Cord 5mm Cotton Strong Work Hiking Walking Boot Laces (140cm, Red)
WFS Round Cord 5mm Cotton Strong Work Hiking Walking Boot Laces (140cm, Red)
Offered by UK.Shoes Retail

3.0 out of 5 stars Fraying after a short time, 7 July 2015
The laces look nice enough, but after just a couple of months, they have started fraying.

8GB Novelty Cute Mini Wooden USB 2.0 Flash Drive Data Memory Stick Device
8GB Novelty Cute Mini Wooden USB 2.0 Flash Drive Data Memory Stick Device
Offered by FunnyHouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Physically and functionally broken, 7 July 2015
Utterly useless.

Where to start?

The drive doesn't resemble the one in the picture - the item I received was wider, bulkier and it wouldn't surprise me if it were too wide to fit where some computer cases are concerned.

Secondly and more importantly - the device doesn't work.
When in my computer, it failed to accept any files - giving me messages stating that files were no longer on the computer. The device could not be formatted either.

Further, when I removed the drive from my computer, the internal part stayed in the computer while the wood came away in my hand.
Very poorly put together.

Mens Brown Distressed Hunter Leather Wallet With Secure Zip Coin Pocket & ID Window Gift Boxed By Starhide
Offered by WALLETS KING

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth £10, 7 April 2015
There were a handful of negatives to this wallet, but first things first - it's nice and certainly worth a tenner.

The design is quite well thought out; the opening on the front of the clear plastic pocket is a nice touch for getting ID out quickly, the coin compartment is handy and 3 card slots is plenty for what I carry around.
Not shown in the pictures is that there's a fourth card slot behind the 3 obvious ones.
The layout is useful and suits me very well - though considering modern uses for wallets, a spare pocket for a USB drive would have been nice.

The product arrived smelling of leather - clearly real and not an overpowering scent.

The few negatives I've come across are that the zip can slow you down for just a moment as you try to get it out of its spot nestled between the flaps of leather, the popper used to keep it closed would have been nicer if it were a little bigger and therefore easier to close quickly and the stitching could be finished a little more neatly, in particular on the outside edges and inside the large paper-money pocket, where the finishing isn't very neatly done.

Further to these, perhaps the biggest negative is that inside some of the pockets, there's still residual glue from the manufacturing process - where panels of material are held together with glue before going on to be stitched.
I've yet to try, but I'm sure it can be removed with a minute or two of cleaning with a cotton swab and alcohol.

The box it was packaged in had a few grease stains on it, but the wallet seemed clean and I didn't buy it for the packaging, so it wasn't too worrying.

I may seem to have a few problems with this wallet, but they aren't enough to drop my stars down to 3 - though they would have been at the original price of £35.

Peers Hardy Crafty Cat Bank
Peers Hardy Crafty Cat Bank
Offered by O K O

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says...though somewhat grudgingly, 25 Mar. 2015
I found on testing that this product could be a little temperamental.
The batteries, when placed into the recess, seemed to have a loose connection and so it took a little wiggling to get the machine working reliably.
Further, the cat had difficulty getting its money-grubbing paws on wide or thick coins - 10p and pound coins had a roughly 50% success rate.

Having tested it I wouldn't pay over £10 again, but as it was bought as a gift for a niece, I'll be happy enough if she likes it.

Mega Sour Assorted Fruit Fizz Bombs (extremely sour) 500 gram bag (1/2 kilo)
Mega Sour Assorted Fruit Fizz Bombs (extremely sour) 500 gram bag (1/2 kilo)
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy balls, 22 April 2013
Toxic Waste were previously my sour sweets of choice. I could get through a pack of them in a weekend before my tongue started to hurt.

These sweets are something else.

There can be a bit of a mix from one sweet to another, varying from Toxic-Waste-levels of sourness to burn-a-hole-in-your-tongue levels.
I won't eat more than 2 or 3 of these in a day for fear of the safety of my mouth.

Be warned, you *must* already like sour sweets to enjoy these.
And we're not talking "Oooh, these fizzy Haribo have got a bit of a kick to them" like that silly 1* reviewer - after a bag of these you'll be chomping on Toxic-Waste like they were Smarties.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Aug. 2012
I ordered these (in UK size 15) against a deadline - 10 days before walking up Snowdon.

The shoes arrived on the day of my departure. I had been hoping for a bit of time to break them in, but it was this or nothing. As it turned out, breaking in wasn't needed - they felt instantly comfortable, and have continued to do so for the few days I've owned them, as they replaced my previous - worn out - pair of shoes.

Considering that my first day of wear - accompanied by hiking socks - totalled around 9+ hours of walking (6+ of those on a mountain side), it's amazing that my feet suffered no bruising, no blisters, no wearing, and no more discomfort than I'd expect from standing or strolling for so much time.

It's certain that they made my day significantly easier, and I recommend them.

The Ellimist Chronicles (Animorphs Special Edition)
The Ellimist Chronicles (Animorphs Special Edition)
by Katherine A. Applegate

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 7 Sept. 2010
The prologue and epilogue of The Ellimist Chronicles tie it in directly to the events of the Animorphs series, whereas the story proper explores the existence of the Ellimist from past to present, and is a strong enough narrative to stand apart from the series.
The Chronicles are both touching and innovative, giving depth to the Ellimist character and exploring interesting possibilities with the Science Fiction.
A very immersive read, and well worth the time.

Polaroid PoGo Digital Photo Printer with Zero Ink (Zink) Technology
Polaroid PoGo Digital Photo Printer with Zero Ink (Zink) Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, but know what to expect., 6 Dec. 2008
If you're thinking of buying the pogo, you should know beforehand exactly what you're getting.

As it currently stands, the printer is more of a fun/arty toy. I have a polaroid izone, which was great fun when I was able to get film for it, and if you've ever owned one then you'll already have an idea of what to expect. The pictures aren't large (2x3 inches) but I really like that, they'd be a perfect size to keep in a wallet if you wanted. The sticky back is handy, and I've found that it won't peel paint from walls when removed.
The cost of paper means each picture should average between 20p and 30p, the cheapest I've found works out to 21.4p each.

The printer itself is larger than I expected at roughly 120 x 71 x 23mm, but that's still a very manageable size.

You shouldn't buy the Pogo if you want professional quality prints; the colours aren't totally accurate (in my experience, dark red/brown may come out a little pink-ish and in most cases colours won't be as vivid as the original) and although I don't know the exact DPI equivalent, it's certainly not going to rival a photo printer.

Depending on why you buy it, however, these points may not actually count against. The quality of Polaroid photos was always a little different anyway, that was the cost of immediate images and this printer is no different. I actually like the colours being a little abnormal, it seems more authentic.

Bare in mind that since the colour reproduction is reliant upon the paper rather than the printer, there's always the possibility that Polaroid will bring out new paper and maybe even firmware updates to complement it, though that's entirely speculation.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2010 9:21 AM GMT

Sony Ericsson DCU-11 USB Cable
Sony Ericsson DCU-11 USB Cable

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money, 9 Feb. 2005
I originally loaded the software onto my pc, only to find that with my phone attached it was not detected.
I eventually had to uninstall it from my pc and try a different pc.
It finally worked but the transfer rate was so abysmal that I couldn't be bothered wasting my time (so slow it took almost 10 seconds to transfer a 5.5kb file from phone to pc, and barely made any progress on a 1mb file in the space of a minute).
To top it off, the physical connection between the phone and the cable was loose, although to be fair that may only have been this one.