Profile for D. Cadogan > Reviews

Content by D. Cadogan

D. Cadogan "davidcadogan" (UK)

Three Stations
Three Stations
by Martin Cruz Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Help!!! - I'm confused, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Three Stations (Paperback)
A long term fan of the Arkady books, this relatively short novel left me confused and somewhat disappointed.

The basic elements of decent book are there (the story-line is fine), but somehow the novel just didn't make sense. Perhaps I'll have to re-read it a few times (never a bad idea) before I grasp logic within the narrative.

View Quest 4.3  inch Sat-Nav with UK Maps
View Quest 4.3 inch Sat-Nav with UK Maps

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally useless: Price good but item Not Fit for Purpose, 8 April 2012
This is the first and last View Quest Sat Nav item I wish to have any contact with.

Having need of a Sat Nav to replace a very reliable Tom Tom, I bought the View Quest purely based on price from TV shopping channel. I have bought plenty of items from TV shopping channels without any problems and have had to return my fair share of those not up to scratch.

This item was woefully poor. The unit is simply unable to main contact with a satellite and provide 'real time' information on current location! Hence my description of the unit as Not Fit for Purpose.

The unit appears to freeze up and on its maiden journey from Stevenage to Milton Keynes yesterday; I arrived at my destination inspite of the unit not because of it. Most of the time, the unit provided no meaningful location information, and occasionally it tried to catch up, telling me of junctions I had passed a while ago.

I need a very basic Sat Nav, one which tells me where I am and provides instructions for junctions I am approaching, not ones I have long since passed.

Perhaps my unit was simply faulty - it is being returned - but I have no intention of risking my hard-earned cash on another View Quest.

The New Learning Architect
The New Learning Architect

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have addition to the toolkit of all (and potential) Learning Architects, 1 Feb 2011
As a workforce development professional with (too many) years of experience teaching within state education, commercial IT training, and now advising Policing & Law Enforcement HR / L&D departments on training, assessment and accreditation matters, I have no reservations in endorsing `The New Learning Architect' as a very helpful addition to the respective toolkits of a wide spectrum of current and potential `learning architects'.

In this very handy sized text (240 pages), Clive covers 35 kinds of learning experiences, each experience being described, discussed & critiqued with `at their best when', `best avoided when', `Conditions for success' sections, and a `Profile' which case studies a personal and organisation experience of broadly applying that approach within a real-life context.

The learning experiences are grouped into 4 sections:

* Benchmarking
* Project reviews
* Action learning
... and others

With the Profiles forming an especially important part of the text, I have no doubt that this book is valuable both as a `dip-in' well researched and referenced volume for students attending university pedagogical studies courses and for hard-pressed learning managers working within L&D departments - trying to ensure that employees have the right skills, at the right place & time, delivered in the most cost efficient and effective manner available!

The Art of SEO (Theory in Practice (O'Reilly))
The Art of SEO (Theory in Practice (O'Reilly))
by Eric Enge

5.0 out of 5 stars Top draw advice, 18 Sep 2010
Having a well designed website is all well and good but money-wise, no point if no-one visits it and (worse still) leaves without trace feeling no better for the experience!

I am a newbie to the world of SEO and I have found this book very readable, without the flow interrupted by 100's of quaint stories which seem to litter many 'use the Internet to get rich!' text books. The book is quite substantive tome (574 pages in the index) but I certainly was happy to ready it from cover to cover. Having done that, I am sure that I will be dipping to the book to reference specific sections as my familiarity and involvement with SEO grows.

I suspect that the text will not be very helpful for those already sleeping and breathing SEO already. The book deals with the fundamentals - which is perfect for me but possibly not the `get a real-life, you SEO geek!' type.

Overall, I consider the money paid for this book as an investment, not a capital cost.

Kind Of Blue
Kind Of Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class recording and performance, 7 April 2010
This review is from: Kind Of Blue (MP3 Download)
I have to come clean to start with by managing my credibility as a reviewer by saying that I consider myself more a fan of baroque classical music than jazz, in all its many forms. However, now and again, I like the occasional blast of full-blooded, no-holds barred blues. Miles Davies delivers what he does best by the bucket-load.

Frankly, if you are considering this album for purchase you won't need my endorsement - but it's there anyway!!!!

The Return Of The Dancing Master
The Return Of The Dancing Master
by Henning Mankell

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy follow on from Wallender, 6 Dec 2009
You know, I have all of the Wallender books and have enjoyed elements of all of them, but I am not at all sure I can say that I have fully enjoyed any. I was really upset by the killing of the swans in 'Before the Frost' and some other descriptions of killings, I felt the links to Africa were unreal in 'The White Lioness' and 'The Fifth Women' ... you get my point I hope.

Another problem I have is in the quality of translations. Sometimes clearly British names and structures are used as labels for Swedish processes / names, presumably in order that the reader understands what the process is the equivalent of. An example of this is the phrase 'MOT' which is almost certainly called something else in Sweden!!!

Now I know some of you will be thinking 'hang on, what has this got to do as a review of "The Return of the Dancing Master" ', well I really wanted to say that this book does not suffer from the faults described above and although I didn't quite believe some of the coincidences within `The Return of the Dancing Master' (therefore the 4 stars), it was a very good read and I thoroughly recommend it.

Haydn, J.: The Creation
Haydn, J.: The Creation

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius, 15 Oct 2009
I have owned this recording for several years and every time I play it, I am totally uplifted by it. The soloists, orchestra and conducting are first rate.

I have a pretty decent audiophile rated stereo system and I don't have any problems with the quality of the recording. I suppose that a really top notch system might highlight issues with the recording quality as it might do with any recording, but frankly, the previous comment critical of the recording quality is much more likely to be the result of poor hearing or poor speakers, improperly located.

If you love 'The Creation' sung in German (as I do), buy in confidence. A more balanced, detailed and passionate recording hasn't been produced.

207 Interview Techniques DVD
207 Interview Techniques DVD
Dvd ~ Expert's Guide: Interview Skills

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but ..., 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: 207 Interview Techniques DVD (DVD)
I bought the disk a few weeks before an important job interview and it certainly was useful in terms of reminding me of the obvious. I don't think there were any great insights provided.

Sagem 62160SL-T  Freeview Set Top Box with 160 GB HD  and Twin Tuner
Sagem 62160SL-T Freeview Set Top Box with 160 GB HD and Twin Tuner

4.0 out of 5 stars Sagem 62160SL-Freeview Set Top Box With 160Gb HD, 27 Oct 2007
I bought this model from Argus around a month ago and I have to say that for the money this recorder is a little cracker!!! There have been previous comments about not being able to record 2 programmes at the same time ... I have to say that I have had NO PROBLEM doing this with the item I have purchased.

One of the biggest advantages of using this is the ease in selecting programmes to record - just use the 7 day programme guide and select your programme!

I have had no issues with picture freezing other than the usual slight problems you get when living in not-wonderful freeview reception area.

The tuner sensitivity is pretty good however there are two reasons why I have given it 4 stars out of 5:

1. The units hard drive is a bit noisy when switched on - I have it connected to the bedroom TV and generally switch it off before sleeping.

2. Finding programes to record when they are a few days is not very easy - you have scroll though all the programmes manually in order to find the right day.

All things considered, given the low cost of this feature-rich recorder, I think this is excellent value for money and if you are not a brand snob, you ought to be very happy with it. Put it this way, I am almost certainly going to buy a second one for the main TV.