Profile for Barry Normal > Reviews

Content by Barry Normal

Barry Normal "_bukko_" (Scotland)

A Summer Fling (THE FOUR SEASONS)
A Summer Fling (THE FOUR SEASONS)

5.0 out of 5 stars well done Milly I can hardly wait for your next book I have just finished The Teashop On The Corner which was just as good., 16 July 2014
Such a lovely story taking you through a whole range of emotions. I had trouble putting it down, well done Milly I can hardly wait for your next book I have just finished The Teashop On The Corner which was just as good.

Overgrown
Overgrown

2.0 out of 5 stars The problem with anticipation, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
Having loved a couple of tracks on his debut I really wanted to like this album but I just don't. Maybe it's a grower but since the first listen I just haven't been drawn back.

Dark Shadows (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dark Shadows (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Save yourselves!, 24 Sept. 2012
Saw this at the cinema - It was shockingly bad. One of those times when you feel totally robbed. Do not buy this dvd.

Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black
Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black
Offered by Mayflower Stores

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a drawing tool, 15 July 2012
This is the only stylus I have tried but I bought it because:

A) I'm a happy Wacom tablet user
B) I assume that wacom's experience in this area would make this one of the best solutions
C) you get what you pay for and this is expensive

I had planned to draw with the bamboo but it's just not responsive enough. Unless you're pushing down with good pressure it just doesn't work. So as a drawing tool it's useless. Hence the single star.

It works okay as a pen though and it's made well enough that I worried about scratching the screen a few times.

My advice would be to try a cheap stylus first.

The Great Masters of the Albertina
The Great Masters of the Albertina
by Klaus Albrecht Schroder

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece full of masterpieces, 12 May 2012
This book is amazing. It must weight three or four kilos at least. It's the size of a doorstep. Beautifully designed and printed, it presents some wonderful drawings.

I've been collecting books on drawing for a few years and bought this title because there's every indication the Albertina has an impressive collection. They do. There's plenty of works I hadn't seen before which were jaw-droppingly good. Even from masters such as Raphael.

If you are interested in drawing put this at the top of the list.

Michelangelo and Raphael Drawings (Ashmolean Handbooks)
Michelangelo and Raphael Drawings (Ashmolean Handbooks)
by Michelangelo Buonarroti

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 20 Sept. 2009
Quite a few books on drawing don't give enough weight to the quality of the reproductions. This one does. And the images used are particularly strong too The accompanying text is a bit dusty, a bit 'old school' but still informative and worth reading as it outlines some biographical and technical details for each image.

In short, highly recommended.

Western Digital My Book  Essential 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally useless, 22 Oct. 2008
I've had this drive a while now and here's a breakdown of the problems:

1. It's incredibly slow. I mean leave it copying 15GB overnight and it's still not finished in the morning type slow
2. My Mac only sometimes even sees it.
3. Regularly needs verifying and repairing to avoid stalling the PC.

The first one is the killer though. I will never buy a cheap HD again. And unless you have time and money to waste nor should you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2008 10:31 AM GMT

Welcome to the Best Years of Your Life
Welcome to the Best Years of Your Life
Offered by westworld-

1.0 out of 5 stars Unconvincing, 16 Oct. 2008
I like to follow the reviews on Amazon, taking them as a good way to find new stuff I wouldn't otherwise stumble upon. Sometimes it works, other times you wonder if the (majority of) reviewers were really paying attention. This was one of the latter situations.

The music is so dull I can't be bothered to describe it any further. I listened to the CD trying desperately to fight the feeling it was going in the bin. But the feeling won.

If you're still thinking about it. Make sure you give it a thorough listen on the web first.

CSS: The Definitive Guide
CSS: The Definitive Guide
by Eric A. Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent general text, 31 Jan. 2008
Computer text books are rarely as clear, comprehensive and easy to use as this one. Well written, good indexing and well thought out examples.

I went from zero knowledge to being totally at home with CSS using just this book and the odd web search.

Beginning JavaScript with Dom Scripting and Ajax: From Novice to Professional (Beginning: From Novice to Professional)
by Christian Heilmann

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously underwhelmed, 31 Jan. 2008
Having got to the point where I was working on a site and needed some quick and easy insight into possible javascript solutions to common problems I ended up throwing this book across the room in frustration.

Some people are good at explaining and good at teaching. Even just good at writing. You cannot say that about this book. The most annoying thing was the 'we're not going to do that, we're going to do something a bit different' concept.

No, just do the simple thing, then I'll work out how to add the frills myself.

If you're looking for a handy introduction that will later serve as a basic reference. Keep looking.