Profile for A. Delahunty > Reviews

Content by A. Delahunty

A. Delahunty

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
MENS SAFETY BOOTS LEATHER STEEL TOE CAPS ANKLE TRAINERS HIKING SHOES SIZE 6-13UK (9, BLACK/YELLOW)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pair of safety trainers, 23 July 2014
I needed a half-decent pair of safety trainers for working on a couple of sites in hot weather, since I don't think my sock collection would have coped with me wearing boots. These were on sale, and in my size, so for twenty quid I thought they were worth a punt.

I was pleasantly surprised with both the quality of protection and just how comfortable they are. The toecaps themselves are very sturdy, and have already faced more than a couple of direct hits from falling objects, which have caused no problems to my feet whatsoever. Furthermore, they're still as rigid on the toe as when I first received them. Comfort-wise, they're a nice fit - enough space at the toe so as not to feel cramped, but they support the rest of my foot well. They really are like wearing a very sturdy pair of trainers, not like wearing safety shoes or boots, and while there's a slight increase in noticeable weight, it really isn't that bad.

Gripes? Well, a couple of minor ones. The laces are horrible but easily swapped out (I replaced them with some yellow Doc Marten ones), and they do let water in if you walk through a puddle. For good-weather safety wear however, they're just great, especially at the price I paid. Highly recommended.

Thief (Xbox One)
Thief (Xbox One)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad game, but certainly falls far of it's potential, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Thief (Xbox One) (Video Game)
This isn't a *bad* game, not by any stretch of the imagination. The reviews of only one star are very unfairly harsh, in my opinion - there are much worse games out there, and considering this is really only in the first run of next-gen games, I think the inevitable experimentation as to what is possible and what isn't isn't necessarily going to be fully explored.

The plus-side first. The graphics are okay, and for the most part the characterisation is perfectly fine. I think over the years we've grown accustomed to much more polished affairs than this - the Halo games immediately spring to mind, as do the GTA epics - and while this isn't in that league, it is perfectly okay. The different playing styles - Ghost, Predator or Opportunist - is a nice touch, but in order to get the XP bonuses for each on a given level it would be nice to have more detail on what you need to achieve them. The world itself is well-presented - very dark and moody, which is what you really want from games like this.

So with all that said, there are issues I have with the game. Three, in fact. Two are minor issues, but then there's one big one. The first is that if you want a bit of atmosphere, its nice to have the NPCs small-talking in the background. This is all well and good - you pick up some side-line jobs in the process - but there are glitches in which they will repeat the same thing over and over again, often interrupting themselves mid-sentence. You cannot believe how annoying this gets. Added to this is they continue to talk - often loudly - while the storyline cut-scenes are being played! So while you're straining to listen to what the next move is and why, someone in the background is explaining how someone was killed the other night (usually two or three times) or how they miss the old days, so you miss the storyline. The only way to deal with it reliably is to turn the NPC chatter off, which in the end was a small mercy.

Gripe two is that there are certain levels in which no matter how you want to try and play the game you end up resorting to violence at every stage. The clustering of NPCs is such that a pixel on either side will alert them of your presence if you're trying to be stealthy, and after half an hour of sitting, waiting, and shuffling, you eventually just end up smacking someone over the head or putting an arrow through their neck. Not what I necessarily want to do. Why introduce the option of different gameplay styles and then take that away again? Two levels in particular come to mind, but I won't give spoilers away.

But the over-riding problem for me was the eventual storyline. I am happy to undergo both a leap of faith and suspension of disbelief - that is after all what we do in these sorts of games - but there is a point where the storyline's purpose just flipped to one where I found myself saying "oh please..." in disbelief. You start off as a thief (hence the name of the game), and this begins as a nice sneaky game where you perform heists, and as the game goes on, the background gets more and more involved. Again, I have no problem with this. But at one point the background story is explained to you, and it is *such* a move away from the original purpose of the game, and feels *so* crowbarred in such that it can drive the game along, I immediately lost interest. Game design has come on a great deal recently, and yet this still feels like it was written by a sixth-form student trying to impress an English teacher. After this, I felt cheated, and I gave up caring. Oh, I've died again, never mind. I'll go do something else.

This is therefore a good way to waste a few hours when there's little else to do. To a point. After that, you'll just stop playing and find something else instead. It won't blow your mind, not in terms of gameplay or graphics, but while there's nothing else in these comparatively early days, it'll be worth playing. Just be hesitant about paying anywhere close to fifty quid for it...

Pimoroni Timber PiBow Case for Raspberry Pi
Pimoroni Timber PiBow Case for Raspberry Pi

4.0 out of 5 stars A couple of flaws, but a lovely looking case!, 6 Mar 2014
I needed yet another case for yet another Raspberry Pi, and since this one would be something I would look at daily, I thought I should get something that looked a little nice than the usual plastic box. This seemed to fit the bill.

It's a little fiddly to put together, mainly because keeping all the layers in one place requires slightly more hands than you may have at any given time. A rubber band or two really helps. Once they are roughly in the right position, threading the screws into the holes at the top brings them all into place quickly enough, and tightening them up with the little wooden wrench soon gets the RPi nicely housed in it's new wooden home. It really does look very good indeed - kind of like those arty wooden frames people stick on the wall with compartments for miscellaneous bits of food or old rubbish - and certainly much nicer than the other plastic cases I have kicking around.

It loses a star for a problem with things not fitting quite right, in two respects. Firstly, in order to get the RPi housed correctly and to have the top lid in place, one of the layers of wood had to split to get everything aligned. This isn't a great worry though, since the tension of the screws holding it together meant the split was invisible and made no structural difference. The second issue was that the gap left for the power connector was misaligned, and much too small for the charger I was using. In addition, the use of a switched extension (to allow it to be turned on and off easily) meant that there was no way it was going to fit as-is. This was very easily solved however by snipping away a little of the layer at the bottom of the gap, and the modification allowed the power connecter to find the socket easily enough.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend this case, but be aware that you may need some slight mods to get the RPi housed correctly with the different connections it requires. I've seen another instance where the SD card slot was slightly misaligned, and needed a similar modification to get it all in place. However, being made of thin wood, each mod is very easy to do. Once it is all running correctly, you will have possibly the best looking case currently on the market housing your RPi.

Behringer Tube Amp Modeler Pedal TM300
Behringer Tube Amp Modeler Pedal TM300
Offered by T2 Enterprises Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible. Just not great, either..., 25 Jan 2014
I bought this more on a whim than anything else. I was toying with using a modelling pedal with my bass, and wanted something to play with just to get an idea of things. Okay, it may not have been a top of the range pedal, but I thought a few quid spent on a pedal and then playing around for a few hours would be time well-spent before getting something more expensive (which I never did).

First up, there's a lot written about the fact Behringer pedals are plastic, and therefore the build quality may not be able to cope with too much abuse. But there's plastic, and there's then plastic. This (like their other pedals) isn't made of a yoghurt pot, and it will take a certain amount of abuse. For example, I was using their CL-9 compressor pedal at gigs, and even wearing DMs to stomp on it, it still works perfectly fine. It took a fair amount of abuse, and the only reason I stopped using it was I got something better. This pedal is the same quality, so don't let the plastic put you off too much when thinking about purchasing it. The main gripe with the build is that in order to get a battery in you have to take the entire pedal off, and if you need to do that in a hurry, it isn't so easy. Springs too have a tendency to go flying... So if you are using this on stage make sure you have a fresh battery in or - better still - use a power supply.

As to the sound... Well I should reiterate I play bass, so this is coming from a bassist's perspective, and can't talk about guitars in general. The first issue is that it is a tad noisy - there's a real hiss when it is in the chain (on or off). When playing in a band this wasn't too bad, but on some settings it got to be really annoying when practicing on my own. I guess some better components could be soldered in to improve things, but life's too short as far as I am concerned,

The settings are for the most part not great on bass, at least not on their own. They're fuzzy, but they sound quite tinny for a bass - too much high-end for my liking. I put this through an Aphex Bass Xciter and a Boss Bass EQ, and both improved the sound considerably (particularly the Aphex), but not to an extent I would warrant using it. I got a much better noise in fact from my Dod distortion pedal, about the same price on the second-hand market. One setting which was particularly good however was the Tweed option - with the bass it makes a nice 'thump' which is reminiscent of an acoustic, but not too muted. I found it good for playing blues and soul, but the range for which it was useful was quite limited. That's almost certainly a bass thing though - I guess this isn't being marketed for bassists, but rather plain ol' guitarists.

I think this is an okay pedal. As a bassist, it is fairly limited on my pedal board, and while there are some useful sounds I can get out of it, there are more useful ones to be had by simply using a decent EQ pedal. Build quality is adequate, and should take some abuse before it gives up, but I guarantee you'll get fed up with the design before that happens (particularly if you use batteries as a power source). Normally I would give something like this two stars, but frankly the low price bumps it up a notch. Worth playing with for sure, but I think there are better ones you could get for the sound you want, and if you shop around they probably won't cost too much more if found second-hand.

MOOER Shim Verb Electric guitar effects Reverb - delay
MOOER Shim Verb Electric guitar effects Reverb - delay
Offered by Bandshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Mooer Shimverb - a tiny box of awesomeness., 20 Sep 2013
First off, I play bass, so if you're a guitarist, then I do apologize - some of this may not be entirely useful for you. Let's see as we go along...

So, with that out of the way, let me explain that I wanted something to add a bit of discrete echo to my bass while I was playing certain songs - mainly jazz bass solos, which I wanted to shine a little. I saw this pedal in a local shop, and was amazed at how small it is: take two 9v batteries, lay them end-to-end, stack another couple on top in the same manner, and that's about the size of it. But it's a rugged small box, not some plastic piece of rubbish that will crush under a Doc Marten the first time you use it.

For your money, you get an on-off switch, a really bright blue LED, a three-way toggle at the top, and three dials - one big, two smaller. The dials are perhaps easiest to explain if you think of yourself in a big room. The big one labelled "Decay" defines the quality of the materials the room's made of - far to the left, and it's like being in a carpet-lined room with no reverb, to the right and it's more like being in a marble cavern. "Level," the dial on the top right, is almost like how far from the microphone you are in this mythical room. Again, to the left will decrease the distance, so you have very much less of an effect, but to the right is a different story. With the Level all to the right, it is like being alone in a cathedral with the mic picking up only the echoes of what you play. It's a really cool effect on the bass, but I can't see me using it at that extreme too much. The final dial, "Colour," is a bit more difficult to explain, but I think of it as a definition of the furniture in the room: to the right and there's nothing, so the reverb echoes clearly, but to the left it tones it down on invisible sofas and tables, warming the sound up without deadening it.

The toggle switch at the top has three settings: "Room," "Spring," and "Shimmer." Now I'll admit I bought this mainly for the Room effect. As you can guess, it is like playing in a room of different sizes. With the Level and Decay both around the 10 'o' clock mark, it is like playing in a bathroom, which is quite nice, but you can get what you want from playing with the three dials easily enough. I find for my needs that Decay at 12, Level at 11 and Colour around the 1-2 mark make a nice warm echo without being overbearing. Putting the Decay up to the 2 mark and the Level on around 1 makes a really lovely echo, good for just noodling around on, and doesn't suck much of the bass out as it echoes around.

"Spring" emulates the classic surfer sound, as all the literature for this pedal will tell you. I wasn't bothered about this so much when I was looking into this pedal, but I was really pleased with it. On a bass it has a definite 'twang' about it, even on most of the lower notes. Open Es were lost a little, despite what I did with the pedal settings, but upping the treble on my bass and dropping the lower tones means it reverberates nicely. With everything around the 12 or 1 mark, and with that increase in bass treble, it produces a really classic 60s sound, which surprised me a great deal. Clear tone, echoes nicely, and I can see it being used at these settings by bassists wanting to get a retro sound. Putting the Level up to maximum was oddly satisfying, producing a really distant echoing bass, highly reminiscent of a lot of early psychedelia tracks, particularly on bass solos and outros. Again, a nice effect I can see getting some use from those who want 'that' sound.

"Shimmer" is an odd effect to describe, but essentially it throws the reverb back at you with some oddly distorted harmonics. That's not a great description, but it's such a tricky sound to try and relate without hearing it. Rather than simply having the note sound back at you, it fades in slightly before introducing all these extra sounds, so it's very easy to get overwhelmed with everything very quickly, and a long decay afterwards doesn't help. So the lesson here is simple: less is more. Play simply and slowly, and you get some really wonderful sounds. Again, it is almost psychedelic with the Level up at maximum. I spent about half an hour just playing around with this setting, playing intervals and sliding around the fretboard, before coffee demanded I took a break. You will love this sound or hate it, but personally, I'm hooked. Play around with the settings and you can get some fantastic trippy sounds from it, and is more than good enough for a slow, elongated bass solo.

Incidentally, I also plugged a ukulele through this box, and I have to say that it is some of the greatest fun I have had in some considerable time. Didn't stop smiling for ages. Shimmering uke is perhaps a bit much, but the Spring setting was simply brilliant.

The tone isn't too bad on a bass. It can suck some of the top end away to make the lower strings sound more woody, so you may need to adjust amp or bass settings accordingly to reflect this. The lower end seems to be unaffected, and levelling for lower registers and playing accordingly seems fine. The quality of the sound isn't entirely authentic - it's not exactly as if you're in a room, for example - but it is a good approximation. You're not getting the quality you would out of something like The Holy Grail or Hall Of Fame (for example), but for the price it really isn't anything to be ignored.

It's not particularly noisy either. I read some reviews online about it introducing a heap of noise, and fair enough it can get a bit hissy if you have the Level at maximum, but it really is nothing. My Aphex Bass Xciter adds more hiss, in fact. I tried this through both a practice amp and my 300W Peavey, with long- and short cabling, and there was no discernible noise at all volumes apart from the normal sounds I get from this setup. Actually the long cables caused more problems than this pedal in terms of hissing, so I wouldn't worry too much about such matters.

Bad points? If you use a compression/sustain unit, you may find you need to alter the settings a little on that, which can be a pain if you don't use this pedal much in your set. The LED's a bit bright, and would be nicer if it were purple... Okay, I'm clutching at straws a bit now.

Overall I would heartily recommend one. To me, it makes a better quality of sound and has less hiss than a comparably-priced pedal such as the Digitech XDV, and though there are less reverb options (the Digitech has 7), there is more than enough variability in this one pedal. If you're thinking of a Behringer reverb pedal - don't. Seriously. Save a bit more, and get one of these. You'll end up replacing the Behringer in time anyway (the 'swoosh' sound they make will drive you mad if nothing else), so just do yourself a favour and head this way instead. I promise you that you won't regret it.

Right. I'm off to see if I can join Acid Mother's Temple.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 5:04 PM GMT

Attitude Busker Classical Guitar 4/4 Gig Bag in Olive
Attitude Busker Classical Guitar 4/4 Gig Bag in Olive

5.0 out of 5 stars All instrument bags are not created equal..., 16 July 2013
...and this one is considerably better than most!

I recently acquired a classical guitar, and it came in the ropiest bag I've ever seen. Slightly more protective than a newspaper, and less interesting. I wanted something which would be protective enough for a trip in the boot of the car, but not cost a small fortune. This bag looked to fit the bill nicely. I play a few instruments, and find a gig bag such as this really handy for easy transport and transporting by car too. I've no particular brand loyalty, though the Rok Sack ones are well thought-out for electric instruments in particular. This was a bit of a punt, having never bought an Attitude case, but I'm very glad I did.

It's light, but rugged enough to take a good few knocks. It fits the classical guitar very well - just snug enough without it being a major struggle to get the zips closed (take note Tribal Planet!!). The back straps aren't padded, so if you plan on carrying this on your back it may be worth getting the more expensive versions, but this doesn't concern me at all. The handle is soft and padded however, so it is comfy to move around by hand. It looks a bit different too without being too 'much' for a comparatively conservative instrument (although the two-tone bag with extra padding looks pretty good!).

10mm padding is good enough for a cheaper instrument (which my guitar definitely is), but I would get a thicker one for my next guitar. I'll almost certainly get an Attitude one since I'm so pleased with this one. For the price, I doubt you'll find much better in the market.

500W ATX Low Noise Computer Power Supply
500W ATX Low Noise Computer Power Supply
Offered by ELECTRONICS WORLD

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and cheap, but..., 29 May 2013
The power supply on my computer had pretty much died after being sat too near to a dusty wall, so it needed replacing. If nothing else, the noise coming from it was driving me insane. After reading some reviews, considering my budget (ie. not much) and seeing how much power I needed for the numerous things in and around my PC, this seemed like a good bet.

First off, delivery was very quick - less than 24 hours, in fact - so good work on that. It's a standard plug-in ATX power supply to hook into the motherboard, drives and fans, and so in that respect there's little to say, but I did come across a problem in that the connecting cables seemed to be about 5cm too short to connect to the DVD drive at the top of the PC tower, and most importantly, about the same distance when connecting to the CPU and MB power supplies. The Foxconn motherboard I have isn't particularly special in terms of it's arrangement or dimensions (standard ATX, in fact), and the previous power supply reached the connectors with no problem, so this was a bit annoying. Luckily I did have some salvaged extension cables for the power connectors, so it was easily fixed - be aware that this may be a problem for you.

The supply when running is very quiet - the fan for the CPU is louder, in fact - and is happily supplying enough juice to everything without fail. I doubt a hardcore gamer would get much value out of this for an uber-gaming PC, but for us mere mortals who just want a quiet computer, it's perfect. Loses a star for the short cables, but otherwise, an excellent buy.

Zalman T2 Mini Tower Case with 4 Expansion Slots
Zalman T2 Mini Tower Case with 4 Expansion Slots

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case - looks good, and fairly easy to install, 30 April 2013
I needed a new case for my PC. The old one had really been through the wars in a recent move, and frankly looked a bit terrible even when new, so I was on the lookout for a replacement. I didn't want something beige and nondescript, but at the same time I'm in my 40s, so didn't want a case which looked like HR Giger had taken a vast amount of acid and come up with something that would have made me delirious with joy when I was 14.

This case fits the task nicely. It's matte black, and with a plain front panel that visually just keeps out of the way. Buttons are on the top, so they're hidden away and don't detract from the rest of the appearance. It's a small thing I know, but the fact that the 'On' button is a simple square that hardly clicks when you press it is a design I really like - it's the sort of thing which suits a media centre, and so adds a little something here too.

So it looks nice. Getting the parts of my old PC inside wasn't too difficult. Removing the front panel took a pair of pliers to crimp the holding plastic studs such that it just popped off, but was really the only fiddly part. If you have strong fingers, you may not even need tools. The design inside is very clever in that it keeps the hard drives out of the way by pinning them to the front and side, meaning they don't stick out into the rest of the case. Once you get the first drive installed (on the front), then you soon find you have more than enough room to get the motherboard and everything else you need into the case with little fuss and no nipped fingertips. Having built PCs since my first 486 SX oh-so many years ago, I can tell you this is A Good Thing. Once the majority of the innards are in place, you can then put the internal side panel on, which has mounting screws for another 3.5" and a 2.5" drive. Hook these up to your motherboard and you're good to go. Simple.

With all the space inside, the fan included does a really good job of pushing air around, such that I found that with a 500W power supply there was really no need to put another fan in. This is good as it uses up less energy, and even with noiseless fans there's always a bit of a background hum, so you have a quieter case. If only my HDs were a bit less rattly... There are three main ventilation grilles - top, bottom and side - so the inside stays cool, but I think in time I may need some fine gauze to trap dust from getting in.

Bad points? Well, a couple of niggles. The first is that the 5.25" slot at the front is for DVD drives only - it has one of those trapdoors which keeps the drive hidden until used - and it would have been really useful to be able to put in a card reader instead. And as mentioned above, getting the front panel off was a pain, but nothing that didn't take a couple of minutes once I had found the pliers - slotted tabs would have been more useful, I think. But that's a minor complaint really - the 5.25" drive bay being fixed for purpose is a pity though, hence the loss of one star for me. May not be important to you, but I use CF and SD cards far, far more than DVDs and CDs these days.

All in all a nice case, and for the money you really cannot go wrong. Looks classy without being ostentatious, and while it doesn't look fussy it isn't boring either. Plenty of room inside for the PC's guts, and stays nice and cool during use. Highly recommended,

Push the Sky Away
Push the Sky Away

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful., 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Push the Sky Away (MP3 Download)
This has been a much-anticipated album for many people, myself included. The Grinderman project Nick Cave has been working on has been far louder than the recent Bad Seeds albums, and there were rumours that this album would be a good deal quieter than previous Bad Seeds offerings. The release of the first track - We No Who U R - seemed to indicate that was indeed the case. But would it still be a Nick Cave album as we know and love them?

This is a highly introspective album, and seems to come from a different place than the last Bad Seeds outing "Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!" from 2008. It certainly is a good deal quieter in that there are no clearly identifiable rock tracks, but it is definitely a Nick Cave album. The melancholy comes through in every track, and Nick's voice is as mournful as ever. I hate to draw comparisons with other artists, but it does remind me in tone of the classic Scott Walker albums - the same poetry, the same swooping arrangements, the same truly heart-felt emotion which comes over through the speakers. Comparisons aside however, this seems to me an album in which Nick has the same passion for what he does, but does it in a much calmer way.

It will put some fans off, I know, and it will certainly divide the music press. It's not what we've heard from Nick in a while - perhaps elements of The Boatman's Call - and some people will think this is a bad thing, but it is for me one of the most lovely things I have heard for some time. Standout tracks are Higgs Boson Blues, Water's Edge, and Jubilee Street (especially Jubilee Street - truly a wonderful song), and the whole thing is just a brilliant collection - play it through headphones without distractions, and just listen intently to what is passing into your ears. It's almost 2am, I've played it twice, and I can't wait to play it again.

I don't know whether Nick Cave is in a different emotional place than he was five years ago. If this album is anything to go by, I feel confident that no matter where he goes or what he does next he is still on top form, and producing music that I will listen to again and again.

Holga Lens for Nikon D7100 D7000 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3200 D3100 D300s D300 D200 D90 D80 Black
Offered by Gadget Career

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun piece of kit. Lomo, the digital way!, 14 Feb 2013
Holga and the whole Lomo look is pretty fashionable at the moment, and while they're fun to use, film can put some people off from using them since it is more difficult to get them developed. This attachment for your DSLR gives you the easy option of making these images, and have as many as your memory card can handle.

So first things first - this *does* work with a Nikon D3100, so don't worry about it not being compatible with your exact camera. It works with anything with a Nikon fitting, so should be fine with anything you will be using. The thing to realise is that this is an entirely manual lens, and so you have to treat it as such. Once it's on your camera, it's an f8 lens (roughly...), so meter accordingly. I've had a bit of an experiment, and using ISO settings of 200 on a D5100 I find that 1/100s in good light or 1/40s in poor light gives good results. These are close to Holga settings anyway, so perhaps not too much of a surprise. Focussing is a bit haphazard much as it is on a conventional Holga, so essentially you can just leave it on Landscape and it'll make almost no difference with your photography. Focal length for DX cameras is roughly equivalent to 60mm, so you'll get a typical view that you would from a film Holga, but with the FX cameras it is roughly 40mm, and therefore a slightly wider angle.

The pictures you get are roughly comparable to a film-based Holga, with some obvious differences. The same indistinct images are there, with the centre slightly sharper than the edges, and the vignetting around the edges. The biggest difference comes in the vignetting, since the lens uses a plate with several small holes in order to get the effect, so the darkness around the edge can look a little wavy as a result (it's more noticeable if you use a full-frame camera such as a D800).

It's a fun thing to use, and if you want Holga-style pictures then this is an easy way to get them (short of photo-editing), but it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Build quality is a bit flimsy, even for Holga products, so I wouldn't go throwing your camera bag around too much. Being a plastic lens it'll easily scratch too (as all plastic Holga lenses do) which some people like since it adds to the unpredictable nature of the lens (personally I prefer a lens cap).

A useful thing to have kicking about, you may use it all the time, you may only use it a handful of times, although it's dirt cheap - less than a decent filter in fact - so don't feel too bad about getting hold of one for your kit. Loses a star for build quality which feels below Holga's pretty mediocre standard, but don't feel too bad when it inevitably breaks. Just get another one!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3