Profile for Hope > Reviews

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: The Official Biography
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: The Official Biography
Price: 7.79

5.0 out of 5 stars The Queen Mother, 19 July 2012
The biography, The Queen Mother, by William Shawcross, was very well written and the subject obviously deeply researched. I felt really privileged to be able to read the Queen Mother's mail to members of her own and the Royal Family, including Queen Mary. It filled in a lot of history for me. I was in primary and secondary school during WW11 and remember the War Effort we all took part in in Sydney suburbia. Also the change in our city and homes during that time with black-outs, sirens and shortage of some food and goods.
The Queen Mother of course back then was our Queen and the royal anthem was sung to her husband, King George V1. We loved the Royal family and I later on named one of our daughters Elizabeth. At school we sang stirring songs like Land of Hope & Glory by our school flag. There was no such thing as Television back then but anything we did hear about the royal family we devoured. The family of four was very dear to us.
This book has charmingly filled in so many parts of history that we've been ignorant about and my love and honour for the courageous British people and the way they held things together during that truly horrible time during the War and afterwards, is an outstanding example of true citizenship and love of Country.
I didn't think there was any chance I'd read the whole 1000 pages when this book was loaned to me, but I ended up reading it all and got really drawn into the loveliness and wisdom of the character of the Queen Mother - to the point I had to see the movie, The King's Speech again, for the 7th time!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 7:30 PM BST