Profile for Jamie MacGarry > Reviews

Content by Jamie MacGarry

Jamie MacGarry "JmacG" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Slick
Slick

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 July 2015
This review is from: Slick (Kindle Edition)
A cracker of a read. Five stars, hugely enjoyable.

The Bird That Did Not Sing (DCI Lorimer Series Book 11)
The Bird That Did Not Sing (DCI Lorimer Series Book 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 July 2015
Hugely enjoyable, this is first class Tartan Noir.

Killing With Confidence
Killing With Confidence
by Matt Bendoris

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 26 July 2015
A cracking read, five stars. Highly recommended.

Mockingbird Songs
Mockingbird Songs
by R.J. Ellory

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books of the year, 26 July 2015
This review is from: Mockingbird Songs (Hardcover)
Superb. One of my favourite books of the year.

Between the Lines: Portraits of Authors
Between the Lines: Portraits of Authors
by Chris Close

5.0 out of 5 stars It's hard to pick a favourite, but I think it has to be John ..., 26 July 2015
This is fabulous. The photographs are stunning. It's hard to pick a favourite, but I think it has to be John Byrne, closely followed by William Mcilvanney. For all fans of The Edinburgh Book Festival, it really is a must, as it encapsulates the atmosphere of the event, simply through the portraits. It includes a commentary alongside the portraits, of both the subject and the shooting of the photograph itself. Highly recommended

The Silence
The Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characterisation, witty dialogue and excellent action, 21 July 2015
This review is from: The Silence (Kindle Edition)
This is 5 star Tartan Noir. Gritty and real, I read it in one go, and it drew me straight in. Great characterisation, witty dialogue and excellent action. Highly recommended.

Tremarnock: Secrets in a Cornish Village: A Summer Read
Tremarnock: Secrets in a Cornish Village: A Summer Read

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Warming and Inspirational, 2 July 2015
This is an excellent read, with a very strong sense of place and purpose, not only in the setting, but in the characters too. There is genuine intrigue both in the story, and in the interaction between the characters. And most importantly, it kept me turning the pages. The story of the central character, Liz, is both heart-warming an impressive, in her reaction to adversity, and I was impressed with the story, her inner-struggle and mindset. Both heart-warming and inspirational. Highly recommended.

The New Mrs D
The New Mrs D

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Thing., 5 July 2014
This review is from: The New Mrs D (Kindle Edition)
Bernice Dando's journey is a laugh out loud tour de force, laced with moments that make you wince (this is a good thing) at the foibles and behaviour of both her and others. It has a very sharp insight into psyche of the characters, and is a thoroughly enjoyable read. Beneath the laughs, however, there's a razor-sharp wit which acts as an undercurrent to the tone of the book. I only noticed it half-way through, and because it's not 'in your face' I began to enjoy it even more. Good technique. Overall, this is a very good story, and delivered in a manner which is sympathetic to nature of the lead character (Bernice Dando). I only worked this out at the end when I thought to write a review. Recommended, 5 stars.

Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Novel)
Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking thriller, 25 Feb. 2014
This book was not on my radar, until I searched around for a thriller based in Japan, which is our next holiday destination. I read the 'Look Inside' and was immediately drawn into the story. Once I purchased it, I was going to save it for the long flight to Japan, but after another quick look, I was pulled right in, and was halfway through before I knew it.
This is an absolute fire-cracker, the plot, the culture, the history, and the characters are all superbly written. Now I'll have to find another book for the flight!
in all, very highly recommended.

The Counterfeit Agent (John Wells Book 8)
The Counterfeit Agent (John Wells Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 Feb. 2014
Not my first John Wells book, but by far my absolute favourite. I was saving this for travelling, but I had a sneak peak, and well, that was it. Straight in and couldn't put it down. The plot is superbly constructed, and the sense of atmosphere is excellent. Great character development, and damn fine writing.

Very highly recommended.