Profile for Bernd Renz > Reviews

Bernd Renz

The Iron Lady [DVD]
The Iron Lady [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

1.0 out of 5 stars The result did not warrant the effort!, 28 May 2012
This review is from: The Iron Lady [DVD] (DVD)
After having, impatiently, waited for the DVD we were admittedly rather disappointed. This does of course not relate to the brilliant actress Meryll Streep who portrayed Margret Thatcher very well but to the making of the film iself. Starting with a frail and demented person one was hoping to see a more or less chronological sequence of her personality but, regretfully, was confronted with "time warps" which, at some stages, did not seem to make a lot of sense. One would have expected more "action" regarding this vibrant lady who was the first female Prime Minister in a then male dominated world. We always admired this strong and pragmatic lady despite the fact that Margret Thatcher had never been too fond of the (us) Germans. We found it quite a pity that Meryll Streep had not been given the chance to show a more powerful and strong portray of Margret Thatcher which she, nevertheless, did extraordinarily well perform in this film anyhow. The way the actress had adopted Margret Thatcher's voice was just great. In a nutshell I would say the film did do Margret Thatcher's personality having been called "The Iron Lady" very little justice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2012 10:30 AM BST

As Time Goes By - Complete Series 1-4 [DVD]
As Time Goes By - Complete Series 1-4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench

5.0 out of 5 stars As Time Goes By Series 1-4, 18 Jan. 2012
This comedy is a story right to our hearts! My wife and I have always been extremely fond of "older" English comedies and so far have watched many of this nature. The main characters, i.e. Judi Dench (Jean) and Geoffrey Palmer (Lionel) are absolutely fantastic and the story itself is very amusing and entertaining and, last but not least, touching. We just love the dialogues of the two people trying to get used to each other after having lost touch for 38 years. They met during the Korean war and fell in love when he was an officer in the army while she used to work as a nurse. After having had to part after the end of the war they tried to keep in touch by writing letters to each other which unfortunately got lost leading to the misunderstanding that both did not seem to be interested in each other any more. Philip Bretherton (Alistair) is not just hilarious when trying to persuade Lionel to write a book on his time in Kenia but also very charming trying to seduce Jean and later on her daughter Judy.We feel that this story can be rated as being at the same level as e.g. "To the Manor born". We shall certainly buy the other DVD!

Brambly Hedge - Spring Story (Carry Case) [DVD]
Brambly Hedge - Spring Story (Carry Case) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brambly Hedge
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Brambly Hedge, Spring Story, 18 Jan. 2012
It is such a sweet story and the characters are truly cute and heart-warming. I am sure that I am going to buy the other 3 stories regarding summer, autumn and winter as well. I enjoyed in particular the little A-Z story introducing the English alphabet which, from my view point, could be very helpful for students learning English for the first time. I can only recommend this DVD.