Profile for James Adams > Reviews

At Click 1948
At Click 1948
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A BeBop Gem!, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: At Click 1948 (Audio CD)
This is a rare and interesting collection of numbers from Goodman's Septet's live show at The Click in Philadephia. It features some great performances and variations of numbers that have been carefully chosen by the people at Dragon music in Sweden. They choose to not include the Patti Page vocal numbers and focus more on the septet. This really is a treat to hear Stan Hasselgaard's bebop style of clarinet playing which, had he lived longer (he was tragically killed in an auto accident on his way to California in 1948) possibly would have pushed the clarinet forward in modern jazz playing- and though not featured heavilly as a soloist- his style fits nicely alongside his idol Goodman. Any fan of Wardell Gray with enjoy this album. For me he is the greatest saxophonist of the late 40's and he tragically died less than a decade later Essentially what this album gives you is a deeper foray into the experimental music of Benny Goodman in this era and his short lived small group 'bop' period. History shows us he never really embraced the style but this album is a treat for any Goodman, Gray or Hasselgaard fan.

The Templars: The Dramatic History of the Knights Templar, the Most Powerful Military Order of the Crusades
by Piers Paul Read
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, recommended, 27 July 2007
I believe this is a good read and you should perhaps ignore the 1 or 2 star reviews and that do not give a constructive criticism for this book. Perhaps this book may disaapoint those who want a difintive guide to the Templars but we cannot forget that you have to the Templars in the context in which they are set, along with other orders and religions. The writing is not at all pro-catholic as someone has written;in fact the balance of the book is very sound and does not seem to have any bias at all- its very refreshing. In fact one of the most enjoyable aspects of the book is the way Read considers many scholars opinions when discussing events and not just give his own judgements based upon political and religious motive. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and whereas it may not be considered the absolute authority on the Templars its a very good overview of the history of early Christinity, Islam and the Crusades. From this book I have a deeper interest and knowledge of historical characters ......Read lets us make us our own judgement based upon the facts we know and not political bias.....Read questions several myths about historical characters which is really interesting. I think its a great book and I recommend it....

Destroy Rock & Roll
Destroy Rock & Roll
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 2.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this, 26 Mar 2006
This review is from: Destroy Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
I don't agree with the other review. This album has lots of merits especially for a debut. You only have to look at how popular this guy is live. Check out mylo.tv for the recently added one hour live set. I love the simplicity of this album and yet there are many layers to it. Actually it grows on you a lot and I think it deserves the 5 stars! Get it

Sugar Ray
Sugar Ray
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A classy catchy up-beat album. Sugar-rays best album so far, 25 July 2003
This review is from: Sugar Ray (Audio CD)
This album seems to pick up on the strongest tracks of 14.59 and floored and collectively put them together on an album which is strong throughout. I listened to this album from start to finish (which I don't normally do) and thought that sugar-ray have really found their sound. I do like earlier records such as Lemonade and Brownies but SR's sound has matured as the band members have got older and the title for this album 'Sugar Ray' seems to sum up the strength of the album and the confidence that the band have in themselves at this time. I think sugar rays sound will continue to evolve but at this time they seem to have found the sound that was growing in the stand-out tracks of their previous two albums. So to sum up, if you like tracks such as 'Every Morning' 'Someday' 'Fly' etc. you won't be disappointed with this classy album.