Profile for Sáss Alæssí > Reviews

Content by Sáss Alæssí

Sáss Alæssí (Congleton. Cheshire East, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Japanese Tea Ceremony and the Shoguns (Cultural History Book 1)
The Japanese Tea Ceremony and the Shoguns (Cultural History Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written in easy to understand terms for everyone, 18 Jan. 2014
If like me you are deeply drawn towards the Japanese way of life and complex ceremonies like the Tea Ceremony where every action and every step has deep rooted meaning going back millennia.
Buy this book and follow it by treating yourself to a beautiful Japanese Porcelain Teaset and some delightful Tea also from the mountains of Japan. Me thinks you'll impress the hell out of yourself AND your friends and neighbours.

The Essence of Rumi
The Essence of Rumi

5.0 out of 5 stars Purely simply genius, 18 Jan. 2014
Rumi is someone I think of as the quiet man of the world of the wise. Considered a poet and a spiritualist this is reflected in his writings. I find his words as relevant today as they were when he originally wrote them centuries ago. Rumi is a star by my reckoning, a man I would love to meet and speak with at length.
Peace.

Aikido Weapons Journal (The Aikido Journey Book 2)
Aikido Weapons Journal (The Aikido Journey Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I've studied Aikido for many years and still find books like this fascinating., 18 Jan. 2014
I have studied Aikido, Iaido, Krav Maga, Ch'uan Tai Chi and Qigong since I was 16, and still now I've reached my mid-40's I still love it as much as my first week all those years back.
I've been a fervent admirer of weaponry in all it's forms since I started all disciplines. It's very much the aesthetics and beauty within blades etc that i find so appealing. I also very much enjoy the practice of using these weapons, especially within the graceful discipline of Iaido. To an outsider it hardly even looks like a sport because you're using weapons but not against an opponent and rest assured the blades are sharpened beyond that of a razor blade, we are even marked before the competition begins on how sharp and faultless our blades are. It's a beautiful sport, high in elegance and grace. By practising each Kata we build muscle memory and without any revision necessary or looking back through notes I can still recall various Kata back when I was about 20 and it's not my mind remembering, it's definitely muscle memory.
Anyhoo, a book worth buying to give you an insight into our way of life and by extension the way of life datiing back to the days of the Samurai through the soul of Japan, or Bushido.
Highly recommended.

Nikon D5200 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D5200 Digital Field Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Very professionally written in handy bitesizes or concise detail depending on your mood, 18 Jan. 2014
You're free to choose in this latest Nikon Digital handy help & tip book between bite sized quick info or if you have a little more time on your hands move further into the book and read things in far greater detail.
My advise to you if it gets too much is buy yourself a handy sized book with some sticky page markers to assist you and make notes on the chapters that interest you and add footnotes as you go. Once you've completed writing what bits of info you feel benefit you, write out a little sticky page indicator and stick it on the page so you can get to it quick sticks, instead of fighting your way through indexes and appendixes.
Enjoy your D5200, it's a beast of a camera, almost THE perfect camera of all time.
Peace out.

Quality 52mm DSLR Plastic Screw Mount Flower Petal Lens Hood
Quality 52mm DSLR Plastic Screw Mount Flower Petal Lens Hood

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello petal, get yourself a petal, petal., 2 Jan. 2014
It wasn't until I bought my D3000 3yrs ago that I really understood just what the benefit of a Flower Petal Lens Hood was. So I headed round to my local lake and practised taking shots both with the hood on and with the hood off, soon I started to see the classic 'lens flare' that I'd heard about. so very glad I did this.
Now with my latest Nikon, the D5200, I have a collection of all varying sizes and shapes of hoods depending on the weather and what time of year it is which gives me an idea of how bright the day is gonna be. I have recently considered buying a lightmeter but not sure as yet.
Definitely buy yourself a couple of hoods though my friends. Saying that, there are a couple of occasions when taking a shot without a hood gives you a stunning flare across a beautiful girls features if you capture it just right. Happy shooting.

Loud City Song
Loud City Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Loud City Song (MP3 Download)
I only found out about Julia Holter 2 months ago after buying her album "Tragedy", now I'm an enormous fan of hers already. This album is even better than Tragedy, she is amazing, a true force of talent.

The Campfire Headphase
The Campfire Headphase

5.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre name for a Scottish group, 24 Dec. 2013
Boards Of Canada from Edinburgh??? Go figure!!!
This album has genuinely left me speechless. It's beautiful, in every definition of the word beautiful, it is that.
Recommended without fail. If I come to your house and don't find this in your collection, I am leaving until rectified. This group deserve far more recognition and praise. In fact, movie directors looking for soundtracks, get your act together and book this group. Every track is like it's come from a movie. Dark depths await you, dive in if you dare.
My total praise to this group, new to me in 2013, I now have all your music, look forward to your next.
Peace out.

The Instant Classical Collection - 100 essential classical masterworks
The Instant Classical Collection - 100 essential classical masterworks

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem I am overly happy with, 24 Dec. 2013
As much my life is surrounded by electronic music of all styles at all volume levels, I still enjoy 'real' music. The selection of the 100 on this album is close to perfect. In fact there isn't a single track that fails to belong here. Everyone a gem, every track gorgeous, beauty leaping out at you from every speaker.
I definitely recommend this album if you enjoy Classical Music in any form.
My friends will be open mouthed at me liking this, but as I always tell them, music is music in all it's forms, it just takes a slightly open minded attitude to appreciate most types of music. Except 70's/80's rock music for which there is no excuse.
Keep sane my angels x

Electronic Dance Music Euphoria 2013 [Explicit]
Electronic Dance Music Euphoria 2013 [Explicit]

4.0 out of 5 stars Euphoric it is not, 24 Dec. 2013
I have almost all the Euphoria albums, I buy this sorta thing for very long driving sessions up and down the UK and overseas, but I don't know what has happened to the Euphoric selection process with this particular outing, but it's not what they usually serve up. Maybe it's those crappy legal highs or summet? But this is definitely a let down album from them. Also a little confused because I thought they had moved over to the Ministry Of Sound, yet this is nothing at all to do with the Ministry. Have I been diddled here??? Have a been'n'gone and purchased a foreign 'sounds a lot like' album???? I hope not.
Think I'm gonna check things with the Ministry Of Sound to see if I've been diddled.
Anyway, I gave this to a car full of young Germans whilst on the Autobahn just near to Frankfurt, let's hope they liked it. Then again, with the faces they were pulling I'm surprised they weren't dancing just to engine noises hahahaha.
Peace out brethrens.

Black Sands
Black Sands

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word ... gorgeous, 24 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Black Sands (MP3 Download)
Bonobo are without doubt were a new name to me when I first downloaded this album and I was so impressed that since buying this album I've now got everything they've released and a few naughty remixes here and there from a man down an alleyway who shall remain nameless hehehe.
Bonobo remind me of my cousins back home in Iceland, we love these sort of soundscapes, the bands in Iceland are pro's at creating mountains out of music and Bonobo should have a holiday there and they'll see what I mean.
They fit right in against Sigur Rós, Múm, Jónsi & Alex, CocoRosie, the non Icelandic 'Shpongle', and the Scottish 'Boards Of Canada'.
Brilliant group, cannot wait for their next outing.
Peace friends.