Profile for ChrisGeorge > Reviews

ChrisGeorge "rossitron"

Warpflow
Warpflow

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Warpflow (Kindle Edition)
I was hoping for a lot more from this book than it supplied. The basic premise is great and I indeed have trouble, as I think a lot of new producers do, in finishing tracks (and within a reasonable time). Unfortunately, however, I found the advice contained within pretty vague and unfocused. There are a few helpful pointers, I guess, for beginners, but not that many and I ended up skim reading most of the book. Perhaps I'm just at different point in my learning but what it said it could deliver, for me - it didn't.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 9:57 AM GMT

Sport Stretch: 311 Stretches for 41 Sports
Sport Stretch: 311 Stretches for 41 Sports
by Michael J. Alter

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good but not the best..., 10 Dec. 2004
This book is quite good and does cover plenty of stretches. It's also well laid out and has an easy to read format. However it doesn't really cover all the different types of stretching (e.g. isometric, ballistic, dynamic) what they are for and when they should be used in your workouts. Unfortunately, the best book I have found is now out of print but if you can track down a copy then get Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurtz.

Fighters Fact Book: Over 400 Concepts, Principles and Drills to Make You a Better Fighter
by Loren W. Christensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch!, 10 Dec. 2004
There is just loads of great and very practical stuff in here from drills and technique to preparing for gradings, mental focus and street fighting. This is my most refered to Martial Arts book - it's literally falling apart!

Complete Conditioning for Martial Arts (Complete Conditioning for Sports)
Complete Conditioning for Martial Arts (Complete Conditioning for Sports)
by Sean Cochran

2.0 out of 5 stars There are much better books out there..., 10 Dec. 2004
I bought this book based on the good reviews that I read here on amazon. However I'd like to redress the balance as it definitely doesn't deserve 4 or 5 stars. To be fair there is some semi-useful generalised stuff in here but it's patchy and given the title I doubt you will get what you hope for.
I would say if you are looking to build strength in your martial arts (which will also help your flexibility) then get a book specifically on weight training. There are many good titles to choose from but for a helpful and complete guide to the beginner I would recommend Strength Training by Anita Bean.
For stretching I would recommend Scientific Stretching by Thomas Kurtz. This is by far and away the best book on the subject that I have read. You will probably need to search the web for it though as it is currently out of print.
And for your martial arts specific training and drills I would go for Solo Training by Loren Christensen. In fact I would also get Fighters Factbook by him which is superb and probably my most refered to martial arts book - it's literally falling apart now!
Hope this helps and good luck with your training.