Profile for Lorj > Reviews

Content by Lorj

Lorj (Brighton, UK)

Rokono® BASS+ Mini Speaker for iPhone / iPad / iPod / MP3 Player / Laptop - Black
Offered by Gadget Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound, 26 Mar. 2013
I literally received this item half an hour ago but I have come straight here to write a review after sampling the sound quality. It's incredible for something so small! It can easily be carried around, it's rechargeable and it's cue! Such good value.

Sony Walkman NWZS739FB 16GB Video MP4 FM Tuner with Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, competition for the iPod, 27 May 2009
I bought this as I refuse to buy an iPod (mainly because of iTunes) and having been a loyal customer of Creative for many years, decided their products just weren't good enough.
It's a gorgeous MP3 player; it looks nice on the outside and the menus are easy to navigate. The sound quality is brilliant and once you get used to Windows Media Player it's easy to transfer music. The noise-cancelling headphones didn't cancel as much noise as I'd expected, but this could be because my expectations were quite high! I'd really recommend this as a much-needed alternative to the iPod.

Laser Cosmos
Laser Cosmos
Offered by prezzybox

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Laser Cosmos (Office Product)
I bought this for my boyfriend for Christmas and we both love it. It makes the stars look almost 3D and the clouds are beautiful. We could both easily lie under "the stars" all evening! Well worth the money, and apparently the best Christmas present ever.

A Certain Age
A Certain Age
by Rebbecca Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars well told, but confusing, 24 July 2005
This review is from: A Certain Age (Paperback)
This was the 3rd book I ordered from amazon.co.uk. Along with "Junk" and "Go Ask Alice", "A Certain Age" is an intricate portrait of life as a teenager.
I found this book quite unrealistic at times, and the plot weaved in and out of sub-plots and meaningless pieces of story. There does not seem to be a set storyline and this is very obvious when the book is read. It is a story about a teenage girl that lets boys at her school "touch" her so she can be popular. This beginning leads on to the protagonist (or antagonist, depending on how you look at it) getting together with one of the boys that she allows to touch her. The storyline weaves on to the main character meeting an older man, with whom she has a twisted and unorthodox relationship with. The story also follows her mother and her father's disintegrating relationship.
The plot itself is confusing, very difficult to explain in a review.
I would suggest you only read this book if you can relate to the teenage themes in the book or if you are going on holiday and have time to get lost in an unusual plot.

Sublime
Sublime

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime are... Sublime, 22 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Sublime (Audio CD)
One question:
Why aren't this amazing band world-renowned?
Santeria, Same In The End, Burritos, What I Got and Doin' Time are all classics. So why aren't Sublime up there with Bob Marley and his ilk? If only more people could hear Sublime.
This CD is the most incredible mix of ska, reggae, punk and hip-hop that I have ever heard. Brad's voice and talent truly shine through on this CD, although the earlier release 40 Oz. To Freedom is just as good, if not better. I suggest that any fans of ska, reggae or even punk snap this CD up as this band are the greatest band in the world. Bar none. R.I.P Brad Nowell

Go Ask Alice
Go Ask Alice
by Anonymous

4.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, 31 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Paperback)
Ever since reading "Junk" by Melvin Burgess, I've been addicted to drug-addled teenage books, as I can certainly relate to their tales. But "Go Ask Alice" defied all expectations I had of the genre. At first Alice may seem childish, immature for her years, but read on and you gain an insight into how very adult she must become, very quickly. As we follow Alice through her internal struggles with drugs, the vivid way she describes her experiences really helps us to relate and sympathise with this character. Although the language is quite archaeic at some points and at times Alice can see quite prissy and self-righteous, this book truly grips the reader, every diary entry another insight into the bleak world of drug-addiction. Somehow, as if she had a premeditated wish for the world to see her diary, Alice explains every detail so the reader is never lost or confused.
All in all, "Go Ask Alice" will truly captivate any reader that, like me, seeks more insight into drug addiction: how it feels, how it affects others around you and what goes wrong. What truly brings home this dark story is when the diary entries end quite abruptly and the subject of the story (i.e Alice) dies.
I would highly recommend this book, not just for teens curious about society's harsh outlook on drugs, but for adults too. For anyone that can relate to Alice's story, for anyone that knows someone in Alice's position, for anyone who is simply interested in the topics covered.

Junk (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
Junk (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
by Melvin Burgess

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 Mar. 2005
I first picked up "Junk" after trying to find a book that I could relate to, after years of fluffy teenage girl books about romance and happiness-ever-after. It took me a while to get into the book, but once I did, it astounded me. Page upon page of thrilling fiction, sometimes getting so realistic it was hard to believe it was fiction at all. The storyline follows the lives and loves of Tar and Gemma, a young couple that take it upon themselves to run away. But running away brings about what life without authority means: Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Set around the Punk revolution of the 1970s onwards, Junk is positively thrilling, and there is no book I love more than this one. I'm 17 now and have read it at least 5 times in the last year. It may shock you, however, with the measures the charcters go to, simply to score some heroin for their next fix. I thoroughly recommend this book, not just for mature teenagers, but for adults too, who could well have been facing their own rebellion at this time.

The Foamers
The Foamers
Offered by Amazin Deals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply... Amazing, 4 Nov. 2004
This review is from: The Foamers (Audio CD)
Before I start... I'll just say that this CD is the only CD I have that I still listen to every single day all the way through (I bought it a year ago and still loving a CD is rare for me) and I absolutely adore every single track on the CD. To me, this band have everything: amazing guitar riffs and solos, lyrics that both make you think and make you sing along loudly, fist in the air (I've done this several times on the train without meaning to...) and of course... The Foamers themselves not only put on an electric live show, they're such nice guys!
So do this great band a favour and buy their CD, preferably from an independent CD shop (not HMV or Virgin, no matter how appealing) and support them!

Wild Zero [VHS]
Wild Zero [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars the most amazing rubbish!, 12 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Wild Zero [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I watched this movie with a beer in my hand and mustard covered cocktail sausages in my mouth, and I'm sure this made it all better. Yes, it's badly made and doesn't seem to make sense, but that doesn't matter! The main character "Ace"'s devotion to "Rock 'n' Roll" only makes it funnier! It's a totally cool movie, don't be put off by the fact thats you have to read all the Japanese subtitles, it's a great film!