Profile for Graham > Reviews

Content by Graham

Graham "graham" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good and well made product designed to protect the shave ..., 25 April 2016
Really good and well made product designed to protect the shave head and blade during storage or travel - shame these don't come as standard on all safety razors.

Lurch 220295 Veggie Drill, Handle with Four Drill Attachments in Various Sizes Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product, 25 April 2016
Unlike most reviewers I paid for my veggie drill so am able to give a really unbiased opinion. Wish though I had got this for free as its actually pretty expensive.

This however is well made , looks built to last and having used all attachments on a variety of veg can confirm it does the job supremely well. Plastic alternatives are available and cheaper but my experience of plastic is that it always breaks so I always view this as false economy.

As one reviewer has stated already a larger size would be useful but this is a minor gripe and you could always start the core off and finish by knife.

If you have a foodie gadget friend this would make an excellent present and not one I fear would sit on the shelf.

Merkur - 40.141 - Heavy Handle Razor - Chrome Blue
Merkur - 40.141 - Heavy Handle Razor - Chrome Blue
Offered by pierre johan

3.0 out of 5 stars Look to the Futur, 15 Jan. 2016
I wanted to like this and its pretty cool looking and well made but after many attempts and cut faces I've come to the conclusion its not for me. I've since purchased a Merkur Futur which is awesome and whilst significantly more expensive is worth the money.

So what is the difference between the 2 ? The 40 holds the blade rigid in the blade guard - the amount of blade exposed is static and there is no adjustment. For me whilst the handle was ergonomically sound the weight of it made me press to hard into my face / neck probably too much and without any effort I had many cuts to show for it.

The Futur has six settings allowing you to determine how much blade you want to expose for a comfortable shave .This also allows for adjustment when shaving different areas of the face and prevents razor snag and hence cuts. Be under no illusion though this is old school and you can't run it over your face at 100mph like you can with a cartridge razor. Shaving this way takes time and perseverance - if you have this you will be converted and if not then you will be probably disappointed.

Sun singles Vol 1
Sun singles Vol 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Rockin Tonight, 14 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Sun singles Vol 1 (Audio CD)
Over the years past 40+ years there have been many reissues of SUN R&B / Rockabilly / Rock N Roll including the actual releases and the unissued material all of which appeared for all our benefit on the Charly label - however this is the first to chronogically present the actual singles in their release order. For this Bear Family deserve a big thank you and this is without doubt a quality product worth every penny of anyone's money.

For me the big wake up call having listened to this set (volume 1) many times is that Elvis was way ahead of his time; taking nearly 2 years before any artist (including SUN stablemates) took up the gauntlet to record anything which would today be described as rockabilly.

Evidence of this being the very lacklustre and country style offerings by Carl Perkins and Charlie Feathers which were subsequent releases on SUN and which appear on this volume. Before I am shot by the Rockabilly Mafia note it would be 1956 before Carl records 'Shoes', Billy Lee Riley appears and the same year before Feathers cuts his King classics. I hasten to add I am not a died in the wool Elvis fan and that my tastes are more with the blues and R&B work of SUN and other labels around this period which was the reason I purchased this set.

Sam obviously had the vision if not the willing or able participants. The fact that he persevered is why he is and the SUN label are both legend.

Warrior Kings: The South London Gang Wars 1976-1982
Warrior Kings: The South London Gang Wars 1976-1982
by Razor Smith
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast Iron Arm, 5 Aug. 2012
I came across this book by accident when looking for books on Rockabilly and Amazon came up with the suggestion. Read the synopsis and thought this has gotta be interesting and fortunately it wasn't wrong.It's a thoroughly compelling read. All I can conclude is I've led a very sheltered life ! and 30+ years of being on or close to the Rockin scene I've never met anyone who would even come close to Mr Smith and his antics.

It would be pointless me regurgitating the contents of the book and at any rate you should read it yourself; so I will close by saying 5 stars to Noel for writing this and 5 to the mavericks at Apex for putting this out.

Drums A-Go-Go
Drums A-Go-Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Greasy instrumentals of (not) cretin simplicity, 22 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Drums A-Go-Go (Audio CD)
My title for this review is a rework of a statement allegedly made by Frank Zappa regarding his view on Doo Wop. Why is this relevent you may ask ? Well, Mr zappa in one way or another was involved with the Persauders and wrote one of the tracks on this fine CD. Any more than that I cannot add as the sleeve notes are in Japanese. If you are really interested then google.

I first became aware of this band via the title track and assumed wrongly that this CD would be 12 or so variations on a theme. How wrong I was , each track unique in it's own right and equally as good as 'drums'.

Sylistically my take is that the sound is somewhere between Bill Doggett and Booker T - mid 60's swirling organs , twangy guitar and a bit of blues harp thrown in for good measure. Oh, and some girly swooning which would not be out of place on a Delmonas track.

It's not a cheap CD but in my opinion worth every penny. Amazon does not have the correct track listing. There are 17 tracks and includes a cover of the Stones Satisfaction.

Give it a go - go !

Livin' That Wild Life; the Herald/Ember Blues & Gospel Masters
Livin' That Wild Life; the Herald/Ember Blues & Gospel Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait and can't wait for more, 10 May 2009
I've been waiting a long time for somebody to put out this collection and in no way does this disppoint. What you get for your (very little) money is a fantastic collection of prime 50's R&B/ Blues and Gospel played by some well know and not so well known artists.Styles range from country blues, sax led jump blues and harmonica/ guitar led rockin blues. High point for me was that there is more to come in another volume. Made me very happy and it will you too. It's obvious that the guys who put this out do it for the love and not the money, so let's support these mavericks and long may they continue !

Leon: Ingredients & Recipes: Ingredients and Recipes
Leon: Ingredients & Recipes: Ingredients and Recipes
by Allegra McEvedy

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book shame about the recipes, 3 May 2009
No doubt this is a handsome book - very colourful and visually pleasing. I suppose my disappointment came with the recipes. I assume that anybody buying this book has more than a passing interest in cookery and will be experienced in many cuisines and cooking techniques. With that in mind I'm surprised that we are given such basic recipes including as sausage and bean casserole, a curry, a tagine and spaghetti in tomato sauce of which I can find more authentic recipes in other books I own.
That said, the saving grace of this book has to be the collection of drinks and smoothies all of which will be lovingly prepared in my kitchen this summer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2009 7:25 PM BST

Rock Baby Rock It [2005] [DVD]
Rock Baby Rock It [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kay Wheeler

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot rock !, 8 Jun. 2008
Exceptionally good 50's rock n roll film featuring some fine rockabily (3 numbers) courtesy of Johnny Carroll and his Hot Rocks and a slab of R&B from Rosco Gordon. All the other acts are disposable fare including two singing brothers with a ludicrous surname ( and no I am not talking Everly's here). On top of this the film isn't actually that bad and centres around a nightclub / gangster theme which of course leads the way to showcase the music. Kay Wheeler shows everyone how to do the 'Bop', but I think if I copied this down at my local hop I would be shown the door! If you have more than a passing interest in early rock n roll then check out this film you won't be disappointed - if your only love is Elvis then give it a miss.

Late Great Magic Sam
Late Great Magic Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars More than magic ! It's a Rocker !, 10 July 2007
This review is from: Late Great Magic Sam (Audio CD)
I bought this years ago on a P-Vine import and pleased to see it's been re-issued. The first 5 tracks are studio cuts , then comes the surprise. Magic Sam live at the Royal Albert Hall London sometime in 1968. Surprisingly the sound quality is very good and when cranked up loud is an absolute belter. Live blues from American artists during this period is pretty rare as it is so snap this up before it's gone.

Page: 1 | 2