Profile for S. Stroud > Reviews

Content by S. Stroud

S. Stroud (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Samsung UE32H5500 32-inch Widescreen Full HD Smart LED TV with Built In Wi-Fi and Freeview HD

3.0 out of 5 stars 32" Great for the bedroom, but what happened to proper DLNA?, 13 Dec 2014
Great TV for the bedroom (purchased elsewhere) but a couple of issues, one minor, one rather major ...

Minor issue first - I bought a fairly cheap wall mount for this TV, but the screws that it came with were far too small. For this one (the 32" version) , the correct screw size into the rear is M8. Depending on the bracket thickness, you might just about get M8x25 screws into it, but they may bash into the bottom of the holes - I had to add a couple of washers on each screw to make them effectively slightly shorter.

Now the big one ... Samsung appear to have removed proper DLNA functionality from the 2014 models. My several year old non-Smart Samsung can connect to my network and access network drives of any kind including PCs and, more importantly, my various NAS drives. It can then play videos (of some formats) that it finds.

With this TV however, it appears that this feature has gone, and instead you have to install some "Samsung Link" software on the PC or phone that you want to connect. Well I don't want to connect to a phone or PC, I just want to connect to my NAS drives, and they are not going to be running any special Samsung software. There does not appear to be a "find all network drives or DLNA servers on the network" function on the TV, so that is a bit useless.

Fortunately I have a network media player (Xtreamer) connected to the TV, and that can play any videos of my LAN with no problem. It would have been nice to use the built in playing function but ho hum.

7dayshop Battery Organiser / Storage Tray / Rack with Built in Battery Tester
7dayshop Battery Organiser / Storage Tray / Rack with Built in Battery Tester

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - saves the effort of making one but could be better., 12 Nov 2014
I have a large number of assorted rechargeable AA and AAA cells for various gadgets and have been intending for ages to get them organised. My plan is to have a box where the kids can chuck ones waiting to be charged, and from this rack (wall mounted nearby) they will be able to get fully charged ones.

Comments on the design of the rack ...

The D cell section will be of no use to me so that's a large amount of potential storage space wasted.

The dual purpose AA/C sections actually look like they can work OK, even when it is fixed to the wall. The bottom edge of each compartment is tapered upwards at the front so it seems possible to carefully balance a load of AA cells in there in a way that stops them from falling out.

The AA sections on the left take 6 cells each and the AAA sections take 4 each. BUT there is a small amount of wasted space at the top of each of these 4 compartments. It looks like they could have squeezed in an extra cell in each AAA compartment if they had designed it a bit more carefully.

The main problem with the AAA compartments is that my Lidl "Tronic" AAA cells, of which I have a large number, seem to be too long to fit correctly. They go in at an angle and you can just about push them down to lay straight at the bottom but they are then wedged in against the sides. Not good.

I haven't tried the tester and probably won't bother with that. The tester actually has some small coin cells to make it work, and these are accessed from the back of the rack so you would have to unscrew it from the wall to replace these. Hmmm.

Overall, it will just about do the job, but if I had put my mind to it I could have made something a bit more carefully sized out of a bit of plywood if I'd had the time and enthusiasm!.

Microphone Holder Studio
Microphone Holder Studio
Offered by Racksoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Very tight fit on mic but works very well., 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: Microphone Holder Studio
A ***VERY*** tight fit on my son's Audio Technica AT2020 condenser mic - so tight that it took two of us to hold the grippy thing open while sliding the microphone in. But once it's in it works very well. Fortunately the microphone is circular and made of metal, so presumably being squeezed very firmly is not a problem for it.

The inner surface is lined with felt so once the mic is in, it is just about possible to twist or adjust its position without it getting scratched.

Behringer Premium 8 Input 2 Bus Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamps/Compressors/British EQs and USB/Audio Interface
Offered by redappleaudio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mixer., 10 Nov 2014
My son wanted a better microphone for use with his PC and suggested an Audio Technica AT-2020 condensor one.

I already have the 5 channel version of this mixer hooked up to my PC, but the phantom power on that one is insufficient for the microphone, which requires the full 48 volts. So I bought this one, which works fantastically. Very easy setup with Windows 8 - no driver to download - it just installs as a USB Audio Codec. I think there is some special Behringer software that you can download but we haven't found a need for that yet.

For simple PC audio purposes, recording great quality audio, and getting sound out to headphones, it is very convenient compared to faffing around round the back of the PC. The facilities for plugging in s couple of instruments or other audio sources are there for when needed, and all in a compact unit to sit on the desk.

The only tiny issue I can think of is the lack of a power switch but apart from that, excellent!

Vapextech Super Smart nimh Charger 8 cell
Vapextech Super Smart nimh Charger 8 cell
Offered by Vapextech

5.0 out of 5 stars Good charger - no problems so far., 10 Nov 2014
Purchased to replace my old trusty Energizer fast charger, which recently died. This one handles 8 cells at a time - very convenient. The display clearly shows what's going on with each cell. The rather slim instruction sheet explains how the available current is shared between the left and right halves of the unit so when charging a smaller number of cells you have some slight control over how harshly you charge them. If you put them all in one side the current is lower than spreading them out.

The cells don't get anywhere near as hot as they did with the old charger so presumably it's not hammering them so much. I haven't had any cells indicated as duff yet, which did seem to happen rather frequently with the old one.

I'd be tempted to get a second so I can have a huge multi-charging array set up on the worktop. One slight problem with this idea is that the rather stiff power plug plugs into one end rather than the back edge, so you can't actually put them close together. Ho hum.

So far so good.

Universal 2.5mm x 0.8mm UK Power Adapter AC Charger 5V 2A for Android Tablet PC
Universal 2.5mm x 0.8mm UK Power Adapter AC Charger 5V 2A for Android Tablet PC
Offered by NorthPada Technology Co., Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for lost tablet charger, 3 July 2014
I lost the original charger for my Scroll Extreme tablet, and ordered this as a replacement.

This was a perfect replacement, which works just fine.

(Actually I found the original charger just after this one arrived, so now I have a spare.)

Casio FX-991ESPLUS Scientific Calculator
Casio FX-991ESPLUS Scientific Calculator

5.0 out of 5 stars Great calculator., 3 July 2014
Fantastic calculator. This is about the third one I have bought for my boys after they have lost or broken previous calculators.

Perfect for GCSE and A levels.

One good thing about this one is that they have not included the recurring decimal feature that is on some other Casio models. When you get an answer that displays as 0.1 with a tiny dot over the 1, it's possible for an un-careful user to think the answer is 0.1 instead of 1/9! No problems like this with the fx-991 ES Plus

Rainbow Loom Official 2.0 Kit with Metal Hook Tool
Rainbow Loom Official 2.0 Kit with Metal Hook Tool
Offered by trade_addictionz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item - my son loves it and I had a go too., 3 July 2014
Great item.

Purchased as my son was interested in having a go at this latest craze.

Good quality loom and metal hook. Not a huge selection of bands, but I ordered another "non-official" set to top up the supply of these.

One tiny problem - my son somehow managed to destroy the "scratch off panel" with the special code to let you register on the website. So if you have un-careful kids, it's probably worth carefully revealing the code for them.

Drape24962 Electronic Digital Water Timer
Drape24962 Electronic Digital Water Timer

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately programming of the Draper has been dumbed down just a bit too much, 3 July 2014
I should have read the questions for this item more carefully.

I purchased it to replace a Hozelock timer, which has packed up after a few years (actually that is the second Hozelock one that has failed).

For my irrigation system I only need a few minutes watering each day, 4-5 minutes maximum. Unfortunately programming of the Draper has been dumbed down just a bit too much, and it only has a very small selection or programs, with the minimum settable watering duration of 15 minutes.

I returned it (using the excellent Amazon returns service) and have instead ordered a luxurious Gardena one at over 2x the price.

Leather Emporium Mens New Black Soft Leather Driving Gloves
Leather Emporium Mens New Black Soft Leather Driving Gloves
Price: £6.39 - £10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Great value gloves. Fit perfectly - very snug and warm, and well made. Recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3