Profile for Bibliophile > Reviews

Content by Bibliophile

Bibliophile (Kendal)

Page: 1 | 2
Cruel Justice (Justice series Book 1)
Cruel Justice (Justice series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first book, 29 July 2015
A good holiday read, not too taxing. If anything the relationship with the husband got a little tedious - she needs to ditch him !

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
by Dan Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Is it a guide book, is it a history book?, 10 Mar. 2014
Oh dear. Mr Brown needs an editor. This could easily have been a novella had Mr Brown not decided to give us reams of unnecessary information on Florence, Venice, Istanbul and various buildings in each. This doesn't help the plot and indeed the only way I could reach the end was by missing out great chunks of description and look for the next piece of dialogue. It can't be described as a holiday read as it just isn't fast paced enough. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

XO: A Kathryn Dance Thriller (Kathryn Dance thrillers)
XO: A Kathryn Dance Thriller (Kathryn Dance thrillers)
by Jeffery Deaver

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 3 Oct. 2012
As a great fan of Jeffrey Deaver I'm sorry to say this is very poor and in fact, unusually for me, I didn't manage to get to the end of the book, I was just too bored. The plot was thin and I didn't care about the characters. The device of introducing Lincoln Rhyme into the book just didn't work. It won't put me off trying other books by Deaver but I shall not get another 'Dance' novel.

The Impossible Dead
The Impossible Dead
by Ian Rankin

5.0 out of 5 stars Rankin on form, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Impossible Dead (Hardcover)
When Ian Rankin really gets into his stride, as he does in this book, there are few writers who can compete. This plot is excellent, involving both modern Scotish politics and the older politics of the early SNP, and is brilliantly paced. The characters are well formed and believeable. All in all a cracking read.

The Fear Index
The Fear Index
by Robert Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Robert Harris, but not as you know him, 22 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Fear Index (Hardcover)
This seems to owe more to Dan Brown than the usually well written Robert Harris books. It's a page turner, it's not difficult but somehow it's just not as satisfying as Harris' other books. In the current financial climate the story is germane but the characters somehow don't ring true. I would suggest this as a holiday read and if it's the first book of Robert Harris that you read the others are much better.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 6 Dec. 2011
Like several others I have been disappointed by this latest offering from the previously impecable PD James. I suspect it is because she is trying to use someone else's voice that this doesn't work, her other crime novels, when she is not mimicking Jane Austen, are emminently readable - this is a struggle from start to finish. What a pity!

Cut Short
Cut Short

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Cut Short (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book on the strength of other reviews and found it extremely disappointing in many respects.
Firstly the e-book can not have been proof-read. Each page has several needlessly hyphenated words on it, many words are erroneously conjoined, some words have the last letter of the previous word added to them, there are several bizarre capitalisations, some paragraphs are in bold for some reason - altogether a very poor production.
The plot is weak and I found it very difficult to care about the characters. All in all I find nothing at all to recommend about this book.

The Leopard
The Leopard
by Jo Nesbo

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph, 22 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Leopard (Hardcover)
Nesbo has once again produced a book which both challenges the reader and keeps his / her interest. It hops around the globe a little but the characters remain true and the plot, although convoluted, is easy to follow. Brilliant.

Mortal Remains
Mortal Remains
by Kathy Reichs

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly not up to standard, 2 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Mortal Remains (Hardcover)
Having read all the Tempe Brennan books I have come to the conclusion the Ms Reichs is running out of steam with her heroine. I finished this book simply because I'd started it, not because I was enjoying it. After the first few chapters I didn't care what happened, I didn't empathise with the characters and the plot was frankly appalling. No more Tempe Brennan for me - sorry.

The Pure In Heart: Simon Serrailler Book 2
The Pure In Heart: Simon Serrailler Book 2
by Susan Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 17 Mar. 2010
Like other people who reviewed this book I am pleased that I wasn't put off by some of the more negative reviews here. Susan Hill is a novelist first and foremost and only relatively recently turned to crime writing; as you would expect from someone with her perigree she produces well rounded characters. If you want excitement and action then this probably isn't for you but if you like to spend time getting to know the characters you should enjoy this book - I did.

Page: 1 | 2