Profile for Estella_USM > Reviews

Rhino? What Rhino?
Rhino? What Rhino?
by Caryl Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhino? What Rhino?, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Rhino? What Rhino? (Paperback)
This has been a favourite in our house since my daughter was 2 and Alex off CBeebies read it at lunchtime. Now she is 5 and her brother is 3 and we all still love it! There is lots of repetition and places to yell 'ZOO!' which is much appreciated by the kids and I get to do 4 lots of funny voices and some animal noises- bonus!! I recently read it to some Year 2 and Year 1 kids who came to visit the library I work in and they also loved it! It is by far the best kids book we own. I wish Caryl Hart's others were this good! Buy it now!

I Love You, Little Monster
I Love You, Little Monster
by Giles Andreae

2.0 out of 5 stars I love it but the kids don't.., 26 Nov 2012
My kids are aged 2 and 3.5 years. I had this on my Amazon wish list for ages and then every so often I go through it and reserve a few titles at my library before buying. I couldn't remember what this one was about but thought it would be funny like others by this author. Anyway it is the story of what the Daddy monster says to the baby monster when he thinks the baby monster is asleep. He tells the baby monster how much he loves him and how special he is and it is really really sweet. I read it by myself before I showed it to the kids and I was welling up thinking how lovely it was and how I have said similar things to my kids when they are asleep (because they are much nicer when they are asleep. And quieter too... Ahhh!) My kids didn't really get it though. There isn't an adventure going on or anything funny happening. They were more interested in deciding whether the daddy was a daddy or whether it was a mommy and debating which of them the baby monster was meant to be). They were talking over me or trying to peer over the book towards the end to watch X factor with Daddy and although I finished it I don't think they were listening. You could buy it and when they are older (adults!) give it to them and pretend you read it to them lovingly each night. I liked it but it wasn't meant to appeal to me so only 2 stars and if my kids were rating it, probably only 1 and that would be for the illustrations. Sorry. :(
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2014 10:54 PM GMT

Where's the Bus?
Where's the Bus?
by Eileen Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Yippity Hippity Hop!, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Where's the Bus? (Paperback)
First got this out from the library and then had to buy our own copy. 2 year old son loves buses and 3 year old daughter loves books. Rabbit and Mouse are supposed to go by bus to Duck's house for tea but Rabbit keeps wandering off away from the bus stop or getting distracted and in the end they miss all the buses. The humour of that is probably not entirely appreciated by small children but adults will get it and I thought it was funny. Obviously after the 10th + time of reading it it isn't so funny but it doesn't matter cos this book is ace! We all love it and have even recreated the picnic and been for a paddle in a splishy splashy stream. Life enhancing stuff!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2013 7:01 PM GMT

Naughty Bus
Naughty Bus
by Jan Oke

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bus book!, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Naughty Bus (Paperback)
My bus-obsessed boy (age 2) and my big girl (age 3) who will read anything both LOVE this book! This is the story of a boy who gets given a very independent bus who causes all sorts of mischief (or is it just that the boy is a bit naughty? Hmmm) My daughter loves the way the words reflect the action (e.g. Reflections on the words describing reflections, the word 'bed' looks like a bed, some words sink as the bus sinks) and my boy loves the bus in the photo and joining in by exclaiming 'Naughty bus!' and pointing out some of the fantastic details in the photos. Got to be the best bus book out there by a mile but it is a brilliant book even if you have no strong feelings about buses- it is a great conversation starter and there are lots of resources on the Internet to go with it if you are that way inclined.

Is There Room on the Bus?
Is There Room on the Bus?
by Helen Piers

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 7 Nov 2012
Bought this cos my 2 year old loves books about buses. We have all of the relevant ones that Amazon brings up when you search under 'bus'. The only reason this didn't go straight back was cos I hate being a fussy customer and don't like complaining. We have not read it since the first time when we initially got it out of the envelope. Illustrations are very seventies and not bright and cartoon-y like you would think from the front cover and they really detract from the story (which isn't great anyway but could be more exciting if the pictures were up to it). We prefer Naughty Bus, Where's the bus? and Please don't chat to the bus driver (I don't actually like the last one but my boy loves it and sadly that is what counts!) Neither me or the kids like this one though. Some bus books just aren't worth it.

Three Bags Full
Three Bags Full
by Leonie Swann

5.0 out of 5 stars Like nothing else I've ever read!, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Three Bags Full (Paperback)
How will you know if you like this book until you read it? There are no other (adult) books about sheep with exciting lives so you can't compare it to anything else but I thought it was ace!
Don't usually go for crime novels myself and I only found it because it came up on Amazon recommendations after I'd bought a load of toddler books! It really held my attention though and I have not been waking the kids up early enough after naps because I wanted to read more! I would never have guessed 'whodunnit' either but perhaps that's my inexperience as a crime reader!
Try it. It is funny and exciting and when people ask what you're reading you can raise a few eyebrows! 5 out of 5 but what will Swann write next? I can't wait!

Night Waking
Night Waking
by Sarah Moss

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in ages!, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Night Waking (Paperback)
I think I love it so much because Anna's story (albeit not her location) is very much like my own and her recounting of conversations with her toddler (especially at night) are so spot on that they made me laugh out loud. The intertwining story was necessary to the plot but it was Anna's story that I loved the most and it gives me hope that one day I will have a career again (and makes me feel better that I am not the only mother torn between work and their children). I didn't want the book to ever end. Thank you Sarah Moss!

The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
by Jonathan Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun to read aloud!, 7 Mar 2012
Got this out from our library and it is now on my wish list until I can afford a copy. As rabbits don't make big loud noises, Little Rabbit likes to try out the other farmyard animals' noises. Each time he does so another animal joins in until there are loads of them baaing, quacking, mooing and hee-hawing. The other animals all decide that they like their own noise best but Little Rabbit has a surprising favourite noise.
I only read this to my 2.5 yr old twice and then about half an hour later she 'read' it herself and got most of it right. She especially liked making the loud noises as loud as possible by herself! Probably not the best for bedtime as it is quite loud and good fun but I would recommend it for any other time of the day whole-heartedly. Love it!

It's Mine!
It's Mine!
by Ewa Lipniacka

1.0 out of 5 stars It's awful!, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: It's Mine! (Hardcover)
I got this book just cos the title seemed apt as my little girl often shouts this 2 or 3 times a day at her baby brother (who laughs and makes it worse, but anyway....) The book starts with 2 siblings shouting 'It's mine!' at each other as they try to pull a toy aeroplane off each other. Quelle surprise it breaks and their mum tells them they have to share. What follows next are pages of naughtiness as one rabbit sticks a worm down the others trousers and so the second rabbit tips mud over his sister's head, they throw peas at each other while they're eating dinner, one tips water over the side of the bath trying to soak the other one and they both deliberately try to damage their siblings' toys. And the text at the bottom says 'they were sharing their peas with each other', 'sharing their bath', 'sharing their mud pie'. At the end the boy shares his chickenpox with his sister and they both spend the night in their mum's bed.
Can't think of a worse book to show to impressionable toddlers who already resent sharing with each other and do not like spending the night in their own beds. Absolutely awful. I am hiding my copy til I can dispose of it without its absence being noticed. Thank goodness I only read it to the kids once- I hope they have forgotten it already.

The Little Book of Investigations: Little Books with Big Ideas (Little Books)
The Little Book of Investigations: Little Books with Big Ideas (Little Books)
by Sally Featherstone

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooh I love it!, 11 Feb 2012
Investigations featured are:
Dissolving, melting, mixing, reflections, magnets, glue, light, rolling, moving things, moving water, floating, joining, lifting things, things that turn, bending things, boxes, wheels, leaves, seeds, minibeasts, butterflies, underground, weather, holes, fabrics, bodies, sounds, textures, fruit and veg.
Lots of helpful instructions and suggestions for each thing and a list of places where you can get equipment from if you're stuck. For teachers and those obsessed with assessment criteria it tells you what each experiment can help cover (I'm not fussed about that but I suppose many are). I can't wait to do them all! Even if my kids get bored I am going to have a great time! Yippee!!!

Page: 1 | 2