Profile for H Woods > Reviews

Guess Who Extra
Offered by a1 Toys
Price: 16.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enhancements on a classic game., 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Guess Who Extra (Toy)
My class of 7,8 and 9 year-olds really enjoy playing this and the fact that you can change the characters helps to keep them interested.

I did the first set up after unpacking, which took some thinking about as the instructions are only adequate. The children needed to be shown how to then choose characters and insert them, and then how to switch the game on as the slider switch is hidden below a panel. Be careful! The character cards have to be inserted correctly otherwise the panel that covers them doesn't click in place properly.

The timer and coloured buttons also add variety and the volume is not intrusive. Build quality is nothing special but, after having had it used at least once a week for five weeks, nothing is broken.

UHU Stic Glue Stick Solid Washable Non-toxic 21g Ref 45611 [Pack of 12]
UHU Stic Glue Stick Solid Washable Non-toxic 21g Ref 45611 [Pack of 12]
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited
Price: 12.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong glue., 26 Oct 2011
I have had my first use of one of the glue sticks I purchased out of a pack of 12 for my class of 7 year olds. The screw top is nice and easy to get off and as yet has not become stuck to the glue. Glue can be applied fairly precisely due to the stick's size; I used it on a strip of 200g cardboard about 5mm wide. When making a 3D cardboard shape, the glue dried to give a strong joint and a clear finish. I have also used it when gluing paper to cardboard for a wall display.

The glue stick I used did begin to deposit small blobs onto the work and table I was using, but I was constantly using it for 10 minutes. It can be hard to see what you have glued because the glue is clear when applied.

This has not put me off as I am about to order 12 more.

Oxford English Dictionary for Schools
Oxford English Dictionary for Schools
by Robert Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars School dictionary, 26 July 2010
I bought 10 of these for a class of 7 and 8 year olds. Initially, they hadn't had much experience with using dictionaries. After a few days teaching and practice, they became reasonably proficient. These dictionaries are much better than the usual dictionaries that are found in classes for this age group due to the extensive word list, clear, easy to follow format and the use of examples to illustrate word usage. The language used is not too complex for them, although they do not always understand how to correctly use words they have found. Where an entry has more than one word class, eg verb and noun, this is made clear, eg contract. In conclusion, these are good value and can be used by children from 7-11 years and beyond.