Profile for Mrs. C. M. Atkins > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Restoration
Restoration

5.0 out of 5 stars Merivel, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Restoration (Kindle Edition)
Adored Merivel. The man was drawn with great humanity. He had many flaws and thankfully they did not all disappear as the novel went on. A terrific book well crafted with totally believable characters.

Burial Rites
Burial Rites
by Hannah Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars Burial Rites, 28 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Burial Rites (Hardcover)
This is one of the most memorable books I have read for a very long time. The characters live on both visually and emotionally and because the main ones once really did lived through this saga there are always unanswered questions to return to and try to puzzle out.

I also loved the way it was written. The Nordic qualities of sparse but succinct language evoked the silence of the snow bound landscape. This book is a treasure for anyone who loves mystery and the frozen north.

The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill Book 1)
The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars With Regret, 10 Aug. 2013
I seem to have exhausted Minette Walters, Ruth Rendel , Iain Banks and many other thriller writers so came across The Mermaid Singing with delight as I have not read any of this authors books before. Sadly I couldn't read it, the level of torture described in this book made me unable to cope with it. I can count the number of books I have not finished on one hand, regretfully this is one of them.

The Charmer
The Charmer

4.0 out of 5 stars The Charmer, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Charmer (Kindle Edition)
This book is about obsessional love. The characters come alive and are at their best when music is being played and or discussed. Some of the book is lighthearted and fun but for me there is an undercurrent of the destructive quality of an obsessional love running through the whole narrative. It is however a good holiday read in the sun and although a first novel I enjoyed Ms Appleby's sense of humour and style.

The Magpies: A Psychological Thriller
The Magpies: A Psychological Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars The Magpie, 8 May 2013
A straightforward easy read which holds the attention. I liked this book its idea for those days when you are curled up unable to go out.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

2.0 out of 5 stars Best Exotic Marigold Hotel., 8 May 2013
As a sixties hippy I was dying to read this book and expected anarchy combined with the mysticism of mannerly India. What I got was a "gods waiting room" depressing if you are heading that way. None of the characters were steely strong, some were boring and some just silly. Its not a thinking older persons read and leaves little sense of the joy, adventure and interest of aging.

The Brimstone Wedding
The Brimstone Wedding

3.0 out of 5 stars The Brimstone Wedding, 8 May 2013
Loved this when I first read it many years ago, as I avidly read all her books. Now as a much older woman I sadly found it quite tedious. I enjoy RR writing as Barbara Vine but just maybe I will leave them now to a younger readership and remember how much I enjoyed them first time around
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2014 4:34 PM BST

Skylanders Giants - Giant Character Pack - Crusher
Skylanders Giants - Giant Character Pack - Crusher
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Crusher, 18 April 2013
Bought as requested by my 6yr old grandson. He was thrilled. It was a success as a birthday pressy and it seems most of his classmates also love them

Forefront Cases Leather Case Cover Wallet with LED Reading Light and Stylus for Amazon Kindle 4 - Red
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Cover, 14 Feb. 2013
This is a really good cover for my Kindle. It fits snugly, protects the screen and looks good. Haven't needed to use light yet but checked it and its adequate. A great little product and I am glad I bought it

Womens Short Black Faux Fur Waterproof Sole Boots
Womens Short Black Faux Fur Waterproof Sole Boots
Offered by SoYouShoes

3.0 out of 5 stars Fur boots., 14 Jan. 2013
Bought for my daughter in law as part of Christmas pressy. They are okay they were after all cheap boots. Sadly though the button hook broke the first time she tried them on.

Page: 1 | 2