Profile for F. Hamilton > Reviews

Content by F. Hamilton

F. Hamilton

Worry-Free Investing: A Sure Way to Achieve Your Lifetime Financial Goals (Financial Times Series)
by Zvi Bodie

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but lacks teeth, 29 Mar. 2008
This book explains how to make risk-free investments for retirement. The approach advocates buying index-linked gilts and savings certificates. That's fine in itself, and may suit some people who are very risk averse.

However, the book very biased and not particularly objective in its assessment of the alternatives, particularly equities (i.e. shares) as investment options. I concur with another reviewer who suggested to balance this book's advice with Tim Hale's superb book, "Smarter Investing: Simpler Decisions for Better Investing." Hale's book is a master-class in sensible investing, that makes your options clear.

While index-linked gilts may be "worry-free" the downside is that there is no opportunity for better returns as provided by a balanced portfolio of shares, bonds and index-linked bonds. Before going down the route suggested by Worry-Free Investing, you may want to consider alternative strategies - if nothing else, to understand what you might be giving up.

Smarter Investing:Simpler Decisions for Better Results
Smarter Investing:Simpler Decisions for Better Results
by Tim Hale

5.0 out of 5 stars A master-class in personal investing, 28 Mar. 2008
Tim Hale's book gives readers the knowledge and tools to make good investment decisions. That alone is a significant achievement given all the "How to get rich quick" books lining the average set of shelves in any book shop. But the clarity of thought and clear writing is what really makes this book stand out - and what has made me much more confident and relaxed about my investing.

The book first cuts through all the noise that we read in the Sunday papers relating to what sector is doing best this month, what fund manager is this week's star, and whether the Footsie is up or down. He convincingly shows how strategies based on market-timing, chasing the next sector or region, and constant tweaking (trading) of your investments is a sure way to lose money. Like a bell chiming through all this noise, Hale explains how good investing is much simpler when you do a few things extremely well.

Hale gives direct advice backed-up with well-presented data. Whether your investment horizon is 30 years or 5 years, he explains how to construct an optimal portfolio that maximises your chances of making money and see you through periods of market trauma.

The meat of the book is a master-class in sensible investing: a step-by-step guide to the basics, and the complexities, of personal investing. Plenty of detail is given in the form of sample portfolios and tables that help readers to create a robust portfolio. Going beyond simple statistics such as "the stock market returns on average 5% a year", Hale gives the tools to help you work out how much you may need to invest if you want to be (for example) 80% sure of a retirement on 70% of your salary. It might sound complex, but the book is so well constructed and written that readers are gently led through the fundamental decisions they need to make.

After reading the book, I felt much more relaxed and confident about my investments and what they might do for me. If you're half-way serious about investing, you could do much, much worse than reading this book. Thoroughly recommended.

Real Fast Food
Real Fast Food
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 2 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Real Fast Food (Paperback)
For the past few years I've found myself cooking the same sorts of dishes, spending a couple of hours in the kitchen, making something that would last a few nights. But they weren't particularly exciting; not the 10th time around, at least. The odd take-away or pre-packed meal got me through the end of the week when I was too tired to cook.

A friend bought me Real Fast Food a month ago. What can I say? This is transforming my cooking. Truly inspirational. Without a doubt the best and most practical cook book I own. I can't recommend it enough.

The book has a great "store cupboard list" of ingredients that will help ensure you are always able to make something that hits the spot - tasty, varied and and quick dishes that never fail to delight. People have called Nigel Slater a genius, and the more I use this book, the more I think they are right. I can understand why other reviewers say that their copies are dog-eared and greasy - it doesn't leave my kitchen bench, either. Add to basket.

Real Fast Food: 350 Recipes Ready-To-Eat in 30 Minutes
Real Fast Food: 350 Recipes Ready-To-Eat in 30 Minutes
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 2 Feb. 2008

Book-Keeping & Accounting for the Small Business: 7th edition: How to Keep the Books and Maintain Financial Control Over Your Business
by Peter Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars Not comrehensive and at times confusing, 7 Aug. 2007
I bought his book as a way to get a basic understanding of book-keeping. The first two chapters are useful if you want to set up a very simple system. Chapter three gives a good overview of VAT but doesn't give enough details about how to create a VAT return, which is not very helpful.

As your business grows, you will want to increase the sophistication of your book-keeping. Unfortunately this is a particularly weak aspect of the book. The chapter on double-entry book-keeping is very poor and I certainly couldn't follow it. You need a good understanding of debits and credits to be able to do double-entries, which if well-explained is easy. But the author doesn't explain it well and the examples confuse things further. By comparison, accountingforeveryone dot com provides a much better explanation and it may be worth buying the online book (though I haven't yet).