Profile for J. Leighton > Reviews

Content by J. Leighton

J. Leighton

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung Google Nexus 10 Wifi (BLACK 32GB WIFI)
Samsung Google Nexus 10 Wifi (BLACK 32GB WIFI)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb screen, 9 Dec 2013
This is an excellent tablet, in particular the Gorilla screen. Normally I would have put a Zagg screen protector on it but I think it is scratch-proof enough for my usage.

Belling 082814400 Cda Creda Diplomat Homark Hotpoint Hygena New World Stoves Oven Pcb Fan Control Module Pcb

1.0 out of 5 stars Dry joint on capacitor, 9 Dec 2013
Firstly, the packing of this item was atrocious. It was wrapped in a small piece of tatty bubble-wrap, inside a polythene bag, inside a thin, flat cardboard envelope, normally used for sending thin books, so the components had no protection.

Secondly, I found one of the capacitors had a dry joint and was in fact loose. I did not connect it up first but resoldered the dry joint then fitted the board into the oven.

If I did not know anything about electronics I would have fitted this and it may have failed making me think there was something else wrong with the oven.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars LOD of LODs, 25 April 2013
High quality Japanese product by Oyaide for Fiio. It even has an 'Authenticity' scratch code if you want to check it is not fake.

It makes a positive change to the quality of the sound coming out of my iPod Classic/Fiio E12 from ALAC data. The music seems 'cleaner' compared to the output via the iPod headphone socket into the E12. I'm not an audiophile but I like to get the best results possible for my budget.

I would recommend this LOD.

TP-Link TL-WR1042ND 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit CABLE Router
TP-Link TL-WR1042ND 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit CABLE Router
Offered by BESTBUYIT

4.0 out of 5 stars Router OK - Shame about EU power supply, 8 Mar 2013
I gave up on the ISP supplied router for my fibre connection. Its web access front end is diabolical. So I looked for a new one. This is a very good price and it seemed to have a good interface - more like the Netgear interface I am used to.

I was able to get this one set up very quickly with all the security the way I like it.

Unfortunately, the first stumbling block was with providing power to it. The power supply had European pins and I am in the UK. I know I could put it through an adapter - not elegant. So I found a supply from another router which had the same voltage/power/pin configuration. Why does equipment sold in the UK have Euro power supplies?

WD Red 2TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
WD Red 2TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE "OUT OF REGION" WARRANTY, 1 Jan 2013
Western Digital 2TB 3.5inch SATA6 Internal Hard Drive - Red

The drive was received inside a box with loads of scrunched up brown paper inside another box. The drive itself was inside a sealed anti-static bag, wrapped in bubble-wrap.

The drive has been incorporated into an unRAID NAS after pre-clearing and exercising to ensure it has no errors. It is currently holding about a terabyte of data built from the parity drive after a 1 terabyte drive died on me and is currently being RMA'd to Western Digital.

OUT OF REGION WARRANTY

However, on registering this drive with Western Digital, it said it was "Out of Region". Their web site explains what this means but in essence it means it does not have a Western Digital warranty so you would have to send it back to Amazon for replacement. Now Amazon say they will only give it a 1 year warranty. So I have been conversing with both Western Digital and Amazon to try and get this sorted out. The product description does not say anything about a reduction in the length of warranty. If I buy a genuine Western Digital "RED" drive I expect to receive the "RED" warranty of 3 years. I am currently asking for recompense for the reduced warranty period or a replacement drive with a genuine Western Digital "RED" warranty of 3 years. Unfortunately, you cannot tell if the drive is "Out of Region" or not until you register the product.

I will update this review when I hear from Western Digital and Amazon.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2014 11:44 AM BST

Taiyo Yuden/JVC Advanced Media, Print Plus DVD-R 4.7Gb 16 Speed 100 Spindle
Taiyo Yuden/JVC Advanced Media, Print Plus DVD-R 4.7Gb 16 Speed 100 Spindle

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% reliable, so far, 10 Dec 2012
So far, 100% reliabilty, but then I've only used 10 out of the 100 disks. Printable side is slightly shiny but gives superb results when printed on using my Canon Pixma iP4200 printer.

Heavy-Duty Casters for an Office Chair (with Zinc Plate) - Pack of 5
Heavy-Duty Casters for an Office Chair (with Zinc Plate) - Pack of 5

5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVY DUTY Castors, 26 May 2012
These castors are what should have been provided with the chair in the first place. The chair is heavy. These have a steel (zinc plated) frame with a plastic shroud.

Dudley Turbo 88 Syphon - Adjustable Height
Dudley Turbo 88 Syphon - Adjustable Height
Offered by football supplies direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Dudley Turbo 88 Syphon - Adjustable Height, 3 Feb 2012
Easy to fit in place of original. Works as advertised and no more pulling cistern off wall to replace diaphragm.

Solwise 3-Port 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Adapter
Solwise 3-Port 85Mbps Homeplug Ethernet Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars PlugNPlay, 7 April 2011
This device worked as soon as it was plugged in. It can send/receive through the consumer unit in the garage to the office at the bottom of the garden and is rock solid compared to the wireless connection which was flakey at best.

Philips HDT8520 500GB PVR Freeview HD Digital Terrestrial Recorder (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars After 6.21 update, one of the best Freeview HD PVRs, 25 Dec 2010
I bought mine very recently after following the very long threads about how bad this unit was from the beginning and gradually improved over the last 7 months with updates. The latest update, 6.21, released just a few days ago, has sorted out all the bugs and gripes. So it is now close to being a 1st rate PVR.

In my opinion, if you update yours to 6.21, using a USB stick, you can ignore all the bad reviews here on Amazon. If you don't agree, you can always return it and go for something more expensive, like the Humax equivalent.

From the hardware POV, the only gripe I have is the totally useless light around the top, which the instructions recommend you turn off in the setup.

Noisewise, it is imperceptable above the whisper quite fans of my Panasonic 42" plasma.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2011 9:29 AM BST