Profile for Damian Ryan > Reviews

Content by Damian Ryan

Damian Ryan "damian_ryan" (Cambridge, UK)

Briggs & Stratton Sprint/Classic/Quattro Engine Service Kit. 992201
Briggs & Stratton Sprint/Classic/Quattro Engine Service Kit. 992201
Offered by Small Engine Services
Price: 15.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Far cheaper than taking your lawnmower for a service, 29 July 2013
Everything you need for a yearly (ok, 2-3 yearly in my case) service: new spark plug, air filter, fuel additive and oil change.

Clear instructions, the work took about 10 minutes and I had my lawnmower working much more happily again.

BUFF Original Multifunctional Scarf BLACK RACE
BUFF Original Multifunctional Scarf BLACK RACE

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, warm, versatile, 29 July 2013
I wear this winter and summer - for protection against the cold in winter and autumn, and to prevent chafing of my neck by the fastenings at the top of my jackets all year round.

Can be worn as a neck tube, a balaclava, a hat, a sunshade and a few other combinations.

Soft and warm, washable. All round, excellent value for money.

Tuff-Luv Faux leather tri-fold Commuter Wallet train ticket / bus pass wallet holder case - brown
Offered by Tuff-Luv
Price: 13.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Tacky elasticated strap spoils otherwise ok wallet, 29 July 2013
I use mine to keep my oyster card, travel card photocard and work photo ID, as well as a spare tenner in case I get caught without any other cash in an emergency.

I removed the elasticated strap - it took about 10 minutes with a sharp blade and a bit of patience, because it's unnecessary to the function of the wallet and looks rubbish.

Honda CBR Keychain Key Chain Fob Keyring Emblem 125 250 400 600 900 1000 1100 Fireblade RR F R SC33 SC44 SC50 XX SC21 PC40 PC19 PC23 PC25 PC31 PC35 PC37 PC40 PC41
Offered by Special Parts
Price: 7.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Longer and thinner that the photo suggests, 29 July 2013
Is true to the CBR logo on the bike, however. You probably don't want to put a keyring with this on in your pockets if their lining is flimsy - you might irreparably harm your pocket or your tender areas.

TP 12ft Star Trampoline
TP 12ft Star Trampoline

5.0 out of 5 stars Endless hours of fun and exercise, 10 May 2011
This review is from: TP 12ft Star Trampoline (Toy)
My 6 year old daughter loved playing on the trampoline whenever she visited friends who had one so my wife and I decided to treat her to one of her own. Before settling on the TP 12ft Star Trampoline, we looked at several alternatives but in the end the reasons we chose this one were that (1) we trusted the name TP - we bought a TP swing a couple of years ago and it was well built and has lasted through lots of play and abuse; (2) it looked sturdy - several alternatives appeared really quite flimsy; (3) it had a strong protective screen (same comment applies to flimsiness of competitors).

The trampoline arrived in a couple of large packages, delivered direct from TP within a couple of days of ordering and was simple to construct. Though I managed to build the base single-handed (I wanted to get it ready as a birthday surprise and no-one else was around to help!) I would recommend 2 pairs of hands for that part of the task and would say they're a MUST for putting up the safety screen, which involves threading poles through several parts of the screen and holding one part steady while another is moved into place on the other side of the trampoline.

The only small problem we came across was that one item had not been supplied in the box - a cord which is used to thread between the spring cover mats and the trampoline canvas. We made do with several metres of washing line instead and this works fine.

In use, the trampoline has provided hours and hours of fun for our daughter, her cousins and her friends. It also helps them to burn off their seemingly endless energy which is welcome come bedtime!

We've had the trampoline about six months now and it's still in tip-top condition. It comes with a cover, and in the event you need to pack away the protective screen, this can be achieved in a couple of minutes with two people, then folded down onto the trampoline base and protected with the cover (we've had to do this a couple of times in high winds to prevent the risk of the thing blowing away - though, that said, once put together the whole thing is pretty heavy and unlikely to take flight in all but the heaviest of gales when you're also going to be worried about your roof tiles and the like).

I'd recommend a TP Star trampoline to anyone willing to spend a bit more for a quality product. Yes, there are cheaper models available from other companies, but this one is sturdy, well built and so far, reliable.

It's also available in other sizes - 10ft and 14ft, if I recall correctly, so you can find something to suit the space you have available in your garden.

The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD]
The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD]
by Driving Standards Agency
Edition: DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as helpful as you might think, 1 July 2008
I took my test for a full car license several years ago, way before all these new fangled theory tests were brought in, but in the grip of my midlife crisis I decided to learn to ride a motorbike.

So I needed to brush up on the theory test for bikes and the hazard perception test. This was the only product I found dealing with the hazard perception part of the test.

Being unable to compare it with anything else makes objective comment a little difficult, but I didn't find the DVD much use at all.

That said, I'm not sure it's necessarily the DVD's fault - I think the hazard perception test itself is poorly presented and unclear in what exactly is being measured (I passed it first time, by the way, so this isn't sour grapes). Even after watching this DVD, taking the mock tests (which require you to click the OK button on your DVD remote when you spot a hazard) and then taking the real test, I'm still unclear what I could have done to ensure a perfect score.

That's really my gripe - I didn't feel sufficiently confident after running through this DVD that I knew exactly how I was going to be marked in the real test.

But maybe that's my problem, not this product's.

Final conclusion: worth getting because it won't do any harm and might do some good. And you get to watch Suzi Perry presenting the bits between the clips. I'd borrow this or buy it cheaper second hand if I were you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2008 11:47 AM GMT

The Official DSA Theory Test for Motorcyclists (2008) (PC CD)
The Official DSA Theory Test for Motorcyclists (2008) (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth it even if you think you know it all already, 1 July 2008
Anyone like me who's held a full car license for several years should already know most of the answers to the questions that aren't bike specific, but where this product comes into its own is in helping you to become familiar with the format of the exam (it exactly matches the test you end up taking at the test centre) and getting a chance to brush up on the bike-related questions (bike safety, maintenance, specific rules of the road and the like).

If you practice on these questions, you will recognise them come up again *verbatim* in the real test - I found this useful because I remembered where I'd made a couple of daft mistakes at home when the same question came up in the test.

Contrary to what another review said, I had no issues with installing and running this software on Vista, though admittedly that review is several months older and the software may have been tweaked since then.

Belkin Switch2 KVM For Mac Mini
Belkin Switch2 KVM For Mac Mini

3.0 out of 5 stars A neat little package, but doesn't support 16:10 aspect ratios, 1 April 2008
I recently bought myself a Mac mini as my first foray into Mac OS X programming, and to cut down on other hardware purchases, I thought this neat little KVM would be ideal.

It sits neatly under the Mac mini, and comes complete with all its own cables (a 2ft VGA cable for the Mac mini, and a 6ft one for your other machine; one USB cable for each machine, which combines the signals sent from your mouse and keyboard, and a 3.5mm stereo jack to allow sharing of speakers).

I have a widescreen Acer AL2016W 20" TFT monitor that I wanted to share between the Mac mini and a Dell Inspiron 6400 running Vista Ultimate. The native resolution of this monitor is 1680x1050, that is, standard 16:10 computer monitor widescreen aspect ratio.

Unfortunately the KVM didn't support this resolution; the closest it could get was 1600x(1024, I think) in Windows Vista, meaning a blurry screen image because of scaling to the native resolution; from the Mac mini, the result was even worse - I couldn't get any picture at all out of the Mac; the monitor just displayed the message that the signal type was not supported.

This inability to support my monitor's native resolution was a dealbreaker for me; I would advise users with widescreen monitors (1920x1200, 1680x1050 etc) to check before they buy, if they can, that the KVM will support their set up; I couldn't get it to work for me.

Otherwise it looked like it could have been a lovely neat little solution.

I gave up, returned the switch, treated myself to a wireless apple keyboard and mouse instead, and resigned myself to using the monitor only with the Mac mini, at least for the time being. Which sort of defeated the plan of minimal cost entry into the word of Mac OS X, but such is life...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2010 11:44 AM BST