ARRAY(0xb403ae58)

Profile for R. Steer > Reviews

Content by R. Steer

R. Steer (East Anglia, England)

Notorious [VINYL]
Notorious [VINYL]
Offered by MERLINMOOSIKDE
Price: 35.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Notorious [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The first LP by Duran as a threesome and certainly less consistent than the previous three although strongly produced by the genius Nile Rogers. This vinyl reissue is a 2 x LP set featuring the original album plus an extra disc containing the 'Master Mixes' release (originally a limited 2 x one sided LP set in a white gatefold sleeve, US import). The quality of the pressing is pretty good with nice separation of the instruments and a cracking bassline. The pressing also has low surface noise. Disappointingly the set comes in a single sleeve (not gatefold) featuring the original artwork and with two printed inners for the records with no notes. It's nice to have this new vinyl version, which does sound clean and well mastered, but I wish they'd put some other tracks on the extra disc (Notorious 12", Meet el Presidente 12") rather than the Master Mixes (which I already have and feature multiple versions of American Science and Vertigo) and maybe some sleeve note on the extra disc inner as well as the excellent band photos that are featured. One star deducted for the slightly unadventurous extra disc.

New Blood [VINYL]
New Blood [VINYL]
Price: 25.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vinyl, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: New Blood [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a review of the Double Vinyl version of PG's New Blood LP. The music itself I find quite stunning with a number of new nuances being fed into very familiar songs. I especially like the end of Rhythmn of the Heat with it's new orchestral working of the legendary drum section. PG himself is on stunning vocal form with some real feeling being imparted into the well known lyrics and the whispered end to Intruder is even more creepy than the 1980 original and the vocals on Darkness far more menacing and tender than on Up. These versions are not necessarily better than the originals, but are a different flavour of the songs and I personally feel that they are very worthwhile even though I was very sceptical prior to listening, thinking that I would just rather listen to the originals, but that is not the case.

So onto the vinyl itself, well in a word it's stunning, it feels like 180g (i've not weighed them) and very sounds like the Classic Records 200g pressings (of which I have Up), very quiet with tremendous bandwidth giving the orchestra a lush warm and detailed sound with PG's vocals razor sharp on top of the mix....quite breathtaking and a joy compared to some modern pressings covered in pops and clicks from new (I won't name these, but you know who you are!!).

My only critism of the the whole thing is the weakish female backing vocals on some tracks (but I actually like the vocal on Don't give up....it's not Kate, but it's different and a new interpretation).

Packaging is also excellent, with a fairly heavyweight gatefold sleeve, plain black inners and a bonus 7" picture disc, which in itself is heavyweight (I've not spun this yet, but it feels and looks fab in it's own printed card sleeve). There is also a download code for both 320mbps MP3 and 24bit wav versions of the album (all 14 tracks incl. those on the 7") which is a nice touch for portable listening, but to be honest, this recording was made for vinyl and it really excels in this version - highly recommended.

I look forward to some new material from Peter in which he hopefully pulls in some orchestral influences from both this and Scratch my Back.

Vogel's 8000 Series EFW 8105 Superflat Wall Mount for 19-26 inch Small LCD TV TV
Price: 19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Samsung LED owners beware, 30 Jan 2011
I wanted a TV mount which would be close to the wall for my Samsung 26" LED TV. This mount is only 20mm deep so with the set itself being 30mm, I thought this ideal and calculated that I could fit the mains and ariel socket behind for a nice neat look and only 50mm of the wall. The mount is well made and packaged with reasonable instructions and the box states 'fits ALL flat TVs'. Great, however it is not suitable for Samsung LED sets which use M8 bolts. The mount is supplied with a variety of bolts from M4 to M6 of various lengths (mostly too long for the thin Samsungs). Now the good news, with a bit of ingenuity, some M8 X 20 bolts, a metal grinder and a hacksaw I managed to attach the mount and it is all OK. It seems solid enough and is fairly easy to unclip if required. So, in summary, this is a nice thin mount, which should hold your set fairly solidly on the wall, but cannot be recommended to Samsung LED owners unless thay are good at metal work. I will be reporting this to Vogel in the hope that they will correct their errornous packaging or better still revise the mount so that it can be used out of the box for Samsung LED owners.

Barkan 90 Projector Ceiling Mount Bracket 360 degree rotation
Barkan 90 Projector Ceiling Mount Bracket 360 degree rotation

5.0 out of 5 stars Great PJ ceiling mount, 3 Jun 2008
So glad I found this ceiling mount by Barkan. I wanted something that I could attach to the joist and this is the only mount I found that only needed 2 screws, so that I could just line the holes up with the joist and attach. All others I saw had a much larger footprint on the ceiling and needed 4 holes and would have meant lifting the carpet and floorboards upstairs. This was so easy to install and took just a few minutes and is absolutely solid. It also has a securing screw which acts as a safety fastener as well as anti theft (as it sits inside the plastic cover). I would recommend screwing the screw into the hole before it's atached to the ceiling as this assists the thread (I couldn't screw it in in situ the first time).

Overall this is a fantastic product and is about a 1/3 of the price of others I was looking at.

Don't forget to check out the Barkan website for full and detailed installation instructions if you need more info.

Happy projecting!