Profile for Willie Taylor > Reviews

Daily Rituals: How Great Minds Make Time, Find Inspiration, and Get to Work
Daily Rituals: How Great Minds Make Time, Find Inspiration, and Get to Work
by Mason Currey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 3 Jan 2014
Before purchasing this book I was expecting it to be a critical look at the daily routine of a group of talented people. I was expecting analysis and conclusions. In reality this book is more like a whimsical anthology. A bit like reading diary entries.

I wouldn't recommend it for the serious student of time management but it was fun nonetheless.

Your Revenge is in the Mail
Your Revenge is in the Mail
by Keith Wade

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and funny - but extremely out of date., 28 Jun 2013
This book would've been fantastic reading in the 80s but is woefully out of date in the internet age. 6/10.

The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
by Dr Michael Mosley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Diet - not sure about the book, 22 Mar 2013
This was a funny book. Don't get me wrong, the concept is good and most probably scientifically sound. Go onto Youtube and you'll find hundreds of videos promoting Intermittent Fasting going back to 2006. The problem with the book is that it is so formulaic:

1) Introduction - Who am I etc.

2) The Science blurb

3) The experience of doing the diet

4) Recipes

5) Comments from Social Media

I'm not trying to be funny but you could probably write a book akin to this yourself with a little outsourcing. Go on Twitter and search for New Diet. I did this just now and found the "UMF Diet" (which I've never heard of before in my life).

I could then outsource someone to write a couple of thousand words on the subject of dieting.How they felt extra. With a couple of small changes that experience could be applied to any diet.

With the Science blurb you'd just need to get up to your local University library or do a bit of searching online. Note that you are only writing a couple of paragraphs on research which backs up your diet (and there will be research which backs up every diet).

The recipes could be found online pretty easily and you could create the social media comments yourself.

In a nutshell The Fast Diet was very interesting BUT if you've read the back cover then you've read the whole book.

The House of Silk: The Bestselling Sherlock Holmes Novel (Sherlock Holmes Novel 1)
by Anthony Horowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Way, way beyond my expectations........, 16 Mar 2013
I just finished reading "The House of Silk" by Anthony Horowitz and really wanted to come to Amazon to review it because I was so impressed.
The story is supposed to be written many years after the exploits as Watson looks back at a case of such magnitude that he hadn't dared detail it at the time. Whilst Watson's wife is away on a visit he returns to Baker Street and embarks on another adventure with Holmes. At first they are looking into a strange case involving the Flat Cap gang of Boston, but a mishap involving one of the Irregulars takes the pair to a much darker place.
I loved this book from cover to cover. I first started reading the Sherlock Holmes stories in my teenage years (20 years ago) and having exhaused the canon I went on to the many spin-offs but was always left unsatisfied. I am not exaggerating to say that this is the best Holmes story in black and white since Conan Doyle slipped this mortal coil. I think that either Horowitz is a natural mimic or, more likely, he has studied the rhytm, vocabulary and timbre of Conan Doyle. We get to enjoy the exquisite glory of Holmes summing up the life story of a visitor to his rooms on a number of occasions. Not only does he do his "parlour trick" with the players in the story but Horowitz also pens an exchange of this sort with Mycroft - my personal highlight of the book.
Having not read any fiction for a year or so I flew through The House of Silk in two quick sittings. I might even read it again next!
In a nutshell the novel is excellent and a must buy for any Sherlockian. I heartily recommend it and hope Horowitz returns for more.

The Biggest Secret: The Book That Will Change the World
The Biggest Secret: The Book That Will Change the World
by David Icke

4.0 out of 5 stars This book in a nutshell, 31 Dec 2012
I enjoyed the majority of this book but here are some points to note:

* David Icke references "And the Truth Shall Set You Free" so many times (up to 5 times a page) that you'd probably be better reading that first.

* There is a lot of reptile talk. If you like Conspiracy Theories but don't believe the reptilian angle then I'd probably avoid this. The book is amphibious from cover to cover!

* There is a lot of controversial stuff in there. Wonder why L**d McA***** is not taking legal action against Icke.

* It is a bit rambling at times.

Overall though I would recommend this book for anyone interested in reading about the World of Conspiracy.

Cash from Square Foot Gardening
Cash from Square Foot Gardening
by Mel Bartholomew

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read for a different angle on Gardening, 9 Aug 2012
Just finished reading "Cash from Square Foot Gardening". What an excellent book. I bought if after reading a great number of blog posts about square foot gardening, and after watching all the videos on Youtube.

The Square Foot Gardening principle is pretty simple. Basically, instead of planting veg in long rows, the author Mel Bartholomew, recommends planting in 4ft by 4ft grids and using a unique soil mix. The nature of this method means that weeding and hoeing are minimised. Nice.

The twist in the Cash from.... book is that Mel puts forward a plan where the above gardening methods can be used to create a cash profit. He promotes the idea of selling fresh crops to your local restaurants at retail value.

Now this idea doesn't immediately lend itself to me. To start I'm not good enough (yet) at vegetable growing and the growing season in Scotland (recently renamed Waterworld) is so short that the local restaurants would have to go Meat-only for 10months of the year. The reason the book works is that Mel takes his idea to the nth level. He's got facts and figures and objection rebuttals and plan A's and plan B's and everything else you could think of. I take my hat off to him. He could probably walk into the Dragon's Den and sweep them off their feet.

A second plus of this book is that it got me thinking - as all good books should. When writing this book Mel didn't think he would have to come to our gardens and wipe our own arse for us. He would've wanted us to think for ourselves and apply his principles to our own Sq Foot Garden. Whilst reading I was thinking to myself, wow - I wonder how much our local chip shops pay for potatoes? Do they pay extra when the tatties are out of season? What size is my garden? How much produce would I need to make in order to start qualifying for EU subsidies? What weight of tatties can one tattie bag produce? What unusual cash crops could I grow in the garden? What gives the best £ return per square foot? Could I grow Sunflowers for the oil they produce (more of this in future posts)? Could I make money be selling pre-mixed bags of Mel's Mix (note I have seen old cement mixers available for 99p on Ebay!)?

In summary, I heartily recommend this book if you are at all interested in making some dough from what you grow.