Profile for Alan Miller > Reviews

Why We Can't Afford the Rich
Why We Can't Afford the Rich
by Andrew Sayer

5.0 out of 5 stars Still no bankers in gaol!, 9 Mar. 2015
This book should be compulsory reading for all our Politicians - Andrew Sayer's book is very readable and he shows how the rich have hugely benefited from de-regulation and the 'progress' made with making money in our modern world. The top 1% are robbing us blind - social care, education NHS, all suffering, and still no bankers in gaol. Shareholders taking lots of unearned interest out of various bodies ( eg. royal Mail ) but showing no interest in them. This book could make you very cross,

Hypnotic Eye
Hypnotic Eye

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than Mojo., 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Hypnotic Eye (Audio CD)
I am the same age as Tom Petty so I do have many of his albums, and I have three Rickenbackers. so I class myself as a bit of a fan. Also, for me. I have always thought of Mike Campbell as a brilliant guitarist, Hypnotic Eye is a real return to form - great songs and lots of shiny guitar solos - and is way better than his last offering MOJO. Collectively the Heartbreakers are a superb group so together they have made an excellent album.

The Lone Ranger [DVD]
The Lone Ranger [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but very expensive movie., 15 July 2014
This review is from: The Lone Ranger [DVD] (DVD)
Lots of well staged action but in the end I found the comedy element a bit tiring. Ultimately disappointing as the movie veered between a serious western and lame jokey set pieces. Perhaps that's what you get with a Walt Disney production. Overlong, bloated but Helena Bohnam Carter is a big plus.

Codex Seraphinianus
Codex Seraphinianus
by Luigi Serafini

5.0 out of 5 stars High Class Art Work, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Codex Seraphinianus (Hardcover)
Expensive, I know. but the scope of Seraphini's imagination knows no bounds. An encyclopedia of brilliant illustrations of a world which probably exists in an alternative universe. Excellent paper quality - this book will have a prominent place in my bookshelf along with other top class illustrators/artists such as Adam Oehlers, Shaun Tan and Kurt Wenner. A must have if you are interested in such high class art work.

Making Master Guitars
Making Master Guitars
by Roy Courtnall

5.0 out of 5 stars A first class reference book., 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Making Master Guitars (Hardcover)
I have been making guitars for 40 years and only recently came across this book. There is a wealth of information, many drawings and metric measurements on six recognised masters of classic guitar making before moving onto a full treatise on making your own.
It is never too late to pick up new tips and I thoroughly recommend this book

Jaerven
Jaerven

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Scandinavian group, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Jaerven (Audio CD)
The listing makes the CD to be a new recording and I would have given 5 stars but many of the tracks appear on their other albums.
As I already have their other CDs I was a little disappointed but kept this recording anyway. Excellent musicianship throughout with some unusual vocals. I particularly like the instrumental tracks and bands like Frifot could shake up the English folk 'scene'.
Needless to say Scandinavian groups would never get a play on say Radio 2's Folk Show, along with the likes of Vasen and Varrtina
because the producers seem to be very short sighted!

Constellations
Constellations

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Genious, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Constellations (Audio CD)
This album is chock-a-block with abundant genius of a musical kind. All the tracks are stand out, but the stand out, stand out track for me is BETWEEN 2 MIRRORS and I just love the very last, and very quiet, line - ' I've come to find you' All the band are excellent musicians but in this CD the drummer Ollie Austin really shines - brilliant and hugely proficient. The art work on the album is beautifully done and ever better on the vinyl version.This is no background music album - you have to listen attentively to appreciate its full impact. An aural master piece to be treasured indeed.

Live At Arena Zagreb
Live At Arena Zagreb
Dvd ~ 2 Cellos
Offered by mecodu-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars 2Cellos knock whining guitarist into a cocked hat!, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Live At Arena Zagreb (DVD)
These two 'cellists are supremely talented musicians and although there are hints of Apocalyptica (eg Apocalyptica play Metallica)
they are much more fun. The DVD starts with 'proper' classical music with an orchestra including Elegie in C minor by Faure. They gently move the concert to include Purple Haze, With or Without You and Smooth Criminal. They are then joined by a rock drummer to belt out several AC/DC numbers - Highway to Hell, You Shook me all night long - to name a couple. I am a big fan of cello music so this may not suit a wider audience but 2Cellos seem to have a huge following in Europe. Try them out on Youtube

Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Photo Printer
Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Photo Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class results, 14 Aug. 2013
I have been using the Canon Pro 100 regularly since April and I am very impressed with the print quality. So far, I am still using the original ink cartridges so they appear to be holding out well. Being able to print CD labels is an added bonus. I have yet to try compatible inks as with all printers branded cartridges cost too much.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2013 9:18 AM BST

100 Best Bikes
100 Best Bikes
by Zahid Sardar

5.0 out of 5 stars Bikes to drool over, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: 100 Best Bikes (Paperback)
A great companion book to CYLEPEDIA - A TOUR OF ICONIC BICYCLE DESIGNS. Informative, with a great range of photographs. The book covers race/touring, BMX/mountain, city,folding/innovative bikes and accessories.My favourite machine is STARKE 1 bySilverbackTechnologies. BMW, Porche and Mercedes-Benz also have entries. Full price £15 but The Book Depository had it at a reduced price - well worth it.

Page: 1 | 2