Profile for dnf_harrison@hotmail.com > Reviews

dnf_harrison@hotmail.com

When I Look In Your Eyes
When I Look In Your Eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars She's just too smooth!, 24 Aug. 2001
My musical tastes are pretty varied, but they do not normally extent to 'easy listening'. For Diana Krall I will make an exception. She has such a seductive voice that she could sing about laxatives and it would still sell. This CD has a mixture of covers and original material that makes light work of the sixty minutes that the album spans. Her piano work is also delightful, and her cover of 'I've got you under my skin' made me go out and buy a Sinatra album. In the future I'd love to see her work with some different artists and see what happens - perhaps a duet with Cassandra Wilson is too much to hope for...

New Forms
New Forms
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars U can't top this, 24 Aug. 2001
This review is from: New Forms (Audio CD)
Having listened to this album in ragged doses for the past four years, I finally went out and bought it. Although Roni Size has moved on since '97, it still sounds beautiful, with spooky riffs and an static, electric atmosphere that draws from other Bristol influences but still sounds unique. 'Brown Paper Bag' sends chills down my spine, I used to play it in the car when my friends and I were coming back from clubbing. Check the video for that song too, I love it when the guy is frozen in mid-air as he's about to dunk it. I could go on, but safe to say that this album demonstrates that although we can't beat other nations at football or cricket, we kill them musically.

Design Of A Decade 1986/1996
Design Of A Decade 1986/1996
Offered by Todays Great Deal

2.0 out of 5 stars Is she all that?, 24 Aug. 2001
First up, I do own this album and bought it because I enjoyed some tracks from 'Velvet Rope'. Janet Jackson is an artist who has enjoyed a steady popularity since the '80s, in quite similar fashion to Madonna. Both artists have reinvented their image a number of times, and I would argue that they both do not register high on the talent scale. For instance, just have a listen to some of the tracks on this album and you realise that Janet's lyrical skills are severely lacking e.g. rhyming 'fire' with 'desire' is covering pretty old ground. The beats are often funky and good to dance to, but they are not particularly innovative and certainly on this album they sound tedious after a while. If you were to take a cross section of young musicians I expect that very few would say they were 'influenced' by Janet. I am not saying that every record in your collection has to be a masterpiece, but please don't waste your money on this album. You're going to hear these songs on the radio anyway.