Profile for Andy Lancs > Reviews

Content by Andy Lancs

Andy Lancs

Sony UWABR100 USB Network Adapter Bringing Wireless Internet Access to Your Wi-Fi Ready TV

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Signal Strength, 20 Dec. 2010
I read the reviews, and was not put off by the larger than normal number of negative comments about signal strength. I trusted in Sony (they have served me well in the past). Surely it could not be that bad, I thought. It is.

I struggled for a few hours to get it working. I then took my new 40 inch Bravia into the room where the router is (I could not extend the router so had to move the TV). Bingo, it worked first time. 5 bar signal strength. My daughter re-watched the final of Strictly Come Dancing on BBC iplayer. I was impressed. (Not with strictly!).

I then returned the Bravia to the adjacent sitting room, some 20 feet away. Zero bar signal strength. I could not believe such a dramatic change in such a short distance. So I repeated this again a further three times. All with the same result.

I'm deeply disappointed that Sony has produced such a weak wireless adaptor. It seems, as others have said, there is a high risk this wireless adaptor will not work if it is in a different room to your router.

All the other wireless devices in the house run fine off the router. My son's PS3 even works in his loft room.

It seems from the reviews I have read, that you have a 50:50 chance of this working for you. You may be lucky. I was not. I shall be seeking a refund, and I've already ordered a 20m ethernet cable to run under the floor.

20m Professional Network Cable (Black) - Premium Quality (26 AWG & 100% Copper Wire) / CAT5e (enhanced) / RJ45 / Ethernet / Patch / LAN / Router / Modem / 10/100
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2012 7:45 AM BST