Profile for HanaBi > Reviews

Content by HanaBi

HanaBi "sonatine97" (England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Virtual Rides RideLondon Cycling Turbo Training DVD
Virtual Rides RideLondon Cycling Turbo Training DVD
Dvd ~ Success Cycling Ltd
Offered by SuccessCycling

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost the Real Deal, 7 April 2016
Like most people who have bought an exercise bike as part of their "New Year's resolution to get fit ... again!", I find it very hard to motivate myself riding it on a daily basis in my conservatory or living room while listening to MP3s or watching a film or TV show on DVD.

On the flip side I'm not quite fit enough, or brave enough to go out on the streets and cycle for miles and miles in the cold winter days and nights.
So I bought this DVD (and two similar ones), thinking that it might be a good compromise.

I perched my laptop on top of the dashboard of my exercise bike using one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Support-Reading-laptops-improves-ventilation/dp/B007IT6IO8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00); put the DVD in and within a minute or two I'm cycling with the best of them through the streets of central London!

Obviously there is no direct interaction between you and what's going on on the screen, but you do have an on-screen dashboard that tells you how much effort you should be putting in on certain parts of the route.

For example there are 7 different performance levels, ranging from 1 (easy - easy spinning), 4 (lactate threshold - more intense effort in short bursts, to 7 (Neromus Power - very short but incredibly intensive sprints).

You're prompted on-screen when to move up or down the power levels. So you can decide for yourself if you want to follow suit or just keep at your own pace or your own particular power band (for example on my bike I have 7 resistance settings: I marry those settings to the power levels of the DVD, but because I am fairly unfit I don't go to power 4 for example, but will compromise and go for a 2 or 3)

The really good thing about this DVD is the fact it has been recorded by a cyclist competing in a cycle race, and he/she seems pretty good at it too! So you do feel totally "as one" with the other competitors which makes the virtual experience even more "real"

There is a selection of music to keep you going - most of it is house music, drum & bass, a bit of hard rock, pop remixes etc. To be honest I soon got fed up with all of them. So I turned down the volume of the DVD player, launched VLC in the background and played my own choice of MP3s, which certainly made a difference while cycling.

Another recommendation I would make if you decide to watch your DVD from your laptop perched on your bike - it's best to convert the DVD's VOB files into AVI format and copy it on your laptop before watching it. I found that watching it directly from DVD while exercising hard on the bike, would often make the DVD jump or stick as the exercise bike jolted through my labored efforts! So consider converting if you can.

One other very minor observation is that because the camera is fixed to the frame of the bike (which gives a brilliant view of your route), but when the cyclist puts in the extra effort the bike rocks from side to side and your view becomes a bit like being on a boat in rough seas!

Great DVD, and has certainly motivated me to put in the effort on a regular basis. Plus time certainly flies when you absorb yourself into this "race".

Konig & Meyer Wall Bracket Holder for Headphone
Konig & Meyer Wall Bracket Holder for Headphone
Offered by Acandoo Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - once you know where the nut is!, 17 Jan. 2016
Needed a place to hang my Bluetooth headphones rather than cluttering up my desk and drawers. I thought about a stand, but that too would have meant equal clutter. So a wall bracket it had to be.

I ordered this Saturday 16th and paid extra to have it delivered today (Sunday 17th). The bracket came in a sealed clear plastic bag packed inside a cardboard box. No additional packing, but fortunately the good arrived on time and in good order.

From reading other reviews here I knew about the lack of screws, but all the same it would have been nice for this omission to have been clearly mentioned in the product details (ie in a similar way with electronic items, it will sometimes say "batteries not included")

Another omission is the lack of any instructions. Admittedly fixing a wall-bracket isn't overly complicated, but another popular criticism with this product amongst the reviews here is accessing/fixing the top two screws given that the holding bracket is in the way and looks unmovable!

Yes the bracket does come with a hex spanner, but there's no hint as to what to do with it. It's only because of some of these reviews is it necessary to remove a small black cap just to the underside of the bracket in order to gain access to the hex nut, which once loosened will make the bracket holder slip and thus give you easy access to the two top holes.

Ten minutes later, the bracket was on the wall with my full-sized headphones hanging quite nicely from it. I think you might be a bit pushed to get two pairs of phones on it, or if you do it will look a bit messy. Nevertheless, it's a good solid product especially in brushed matt black.

I would have given this 5 stars, but the lack of instructions or even a simple note about how to access the hidden hex nut, is a let down.

4/5

Mcalpine Straight Through Trap with Eye 1.1/4 32mm X10
Mcalpine Straight Through Trap with Eye 1.1/4 32mm X10
Offered by PlumbinBitsUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Replacement, 10 Jan. 2016
Needed this for an emergency replacement with my bathroom sink.

It's an unusual design, and had issues trying to find it in the usual DIY stores. As a consequence I had to wait a few days as well as paying slightly over the odds by going the Amazon route.

Fortunately, when it did arrive, all bits were accounted for. And no breakages to report.

Enclosed with the "straight-through trap" is a leaflet that highlights other products in the Easi-Flo range, as well as a schematic inventory of the trap. The leaflet mentions a disclaimer to say that Easi-Flo accept no responsibility for incorrect fitting of their products etc. And that you should NOT use plumber's putty to seal the fitting.

Installation videos are available from the Apple app store (no mention of Android however)

Fitting the trap was fairly straightforward, even for an amateur such as myself. Although it is advisable to do some homework via YouTube or Google prior to dismantling old traps for new (not least turning off the water)

Close inspection of the old trap revealed a perished rubber washer. So I suppose I could have gone for the far cheaper option of just buying a replacement washer. But to be honest, the state of the trap was pretty poor & nasty. So was satisfied that replacing it with a complete new unit was the right option.

All connections were perfect, no leaks to report, and it was good to see my bathroom sink drain quickly and cleanly once more.

Good product, albeit a touch expensive. Easy to fit, but if in doubt always contact a qualified plumber

Lampaous Pack of 10 5W LED GU10 Bulb Warm White Gu10 LED lights ,450lm Super Bright GU10 LED 50W Halogen GU10 Lamp Replacement,Very Soft White with the Frosted Glass Diffuser, Protect the Eyes Especially for Family with Children
Offered by Lampaous

5.0 out of 5 stars Highlights, 3 Jan. 2016
For the last few years we've been using standard 50w halogen bulbs in both the kitchen and bathroom. They had a pretty poor efficiency rating but were cheap compared to the more energy efficient bulbs like these. It is always a frustrating paradox that the more efficient the bulb the more you have to pay. So any savings on your electric bill are counted by the initial outlay of buying energy efficient bulbs.

Anyway, a couple of months ago we had Smart Meters installed, along with a calculator-sized monitor, which lets you see how much electric and gas you're using over a period of time.

It didn't take long to realise how expensive the standard halogens were. So I bought a packet of Lamparous 5W bulbs and did some comparisons.

First thing I noticed was how hot the standard lights were when trying to remove them from their housing (even with the use of a towel they were extremely hot to the touch!) But when I fitted these new lights and let them run for 5-10 minutes they remained very cool to the touch. So that was quite encouraging, as was the readings from the Smart Meter monitor: down to something like a penny or two per hour for four lights!

Visually the lights were bright but not as warm as the standard halogens, with tinges of yellow that initially became distracting, but not uncomfortably so. And 2 month in, I don't even notice the rather sterile "glow" compared to the rather warmer/richer light from the standards. But perhaps this minor complaint is just down to me and my eyesight as my wife doesn't share the same issue.

So two months of use, both in the bathroom and kitchen, and no failures to report yet. Impressed, I bought a second packet just a few days ago, to be used as spares.

These bulbs are an expensive option, and are only really affective if they last a very long time. Which is something I can't really judge after only 2 months. But they do a very good job, and if you do have a smart meter you'll be able to see for yourself the difference in energy used.

Recommended.

Q Connect Mesh Waste Basket - Black
Q Connect Mesh Waste Basket - Black
Offered by A2B Stationery Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking & functional, 31 Dec. 2015
There is something rather classy about these ordinary waste baskets! Perhaps it's the meshed matt black coating that really stands out well in most of the white-walled rooms of my home.

I bought four all told, and don't regret it. They're sturdy & rigid, and just look nice!

The only decision one has to make is if you intend to use bin-liners. I do, in order to retain the cleanliness of the basket; but the downside is that a bin-liner does ruin the aesthetic somewhat. So you may prefer to go without. They're easy to clean anyway.

5/5

QNAP RM-IR002 - remote control(RM-IR002)
QNAP RM-IR002 - remote control(RM-IR002)
Offered by EStore99

4.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity Personified, 29 Dec. 2015
I recently purchased a Qnap NAS box (TS-253 Pro), which I keep in my living room alongside my Samsung Smart TV. And even though I patched it into my home network and the TV using a HDMI cable, I quickly realized navigating the OSD menus with an old-fashioned wired keyboard, wasn't a great option, especially with such a short lead!

So I opted for this recommended remote control. No issues with delivery or packing, and comes "ready-to-use" straight out of the box because it ships with one CR2032 Lithium 3v battery! And no configuration required, just a basic "point-and-click" and you're off.

The distance between my chair and the NAS box is about twelve feet, but the RC works perfectly. And you don't have to be deadly accurate pointing the device at the IR sensor on the NAS box either - at least not for me! Just so long as you point it in the general direction it should work fine.

However, it's still felt a bit fiddly typing out names and URL's using the OSD keyboard, so I also purchased a mini wireless keyboard (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T2SJUWA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00), which compliments the RC very well. (Admittedly you could just as easily opt for the keyboard over the RC, but for simple navigation, the RC was fine)

Some reviews have complained about the relatively poor construction of the RC, or is difficult to hold in the hand over a period of time. Well, for me at least, neither were true. It was solid enough, simple layout, light to carry and a pleasure to use.

Recommended for simple point & click, but consider a wireless keyboard if you're going to do a lot of on-screen typing.

4/5

Battery for Drift HD 1080p, Drift HD 720p, Drift HD170 Stealth
Battery for Drift HD 1080p, Drift HD 720p, Drift HD170 Stealth

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap At Half The Price!, 26 Oct. 2015
I did have reservations prior to placing my order: anything considerably cheaper than the standard should usually be treated with suspicion. But given that I wasn't quite prepared to pay £20 for a OEM replacement battery, I thought the £5 risk was worth it.

So I ordered two, both of which arrived 2 or 3 days later in a thick jiffy bag, that was just small enough to pop through my letter box.

There are some basic instructions on how to fit and dispose of batteries; but really it's just a straightforward swap-out into my Drift HD. I was even quite surprised the battery still had a charge, as the instructions suggested it might need to be plugged into the mains before being available for use.

Anyway, I gave it 8 hours worth of charge, and after 3 months of regular daily use (2 hours per day) in the car, it is performing very well, managing to hold a charge for at least 3 hours before it needed a top-up

So 3 months of continual use, and without any deterioration in performance, has made this battery very good value for money. Other reviews have suggested it may last for a year or even more!

Definitely recommended!

Duracell MN1500B12 Plus Power AA Size Batteries--Pack of 12
Duracell MN1500B12 Plus Power AA Size Batteries--Pack of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Ready: Always Dependable, 20 Aug. 2015
Can't really argue with the quality & longevity of these batteries. Have been using them for years, and have always been very dependable: no unexepcted leaks or discharges in all that time. Unlike the once-dependable Ever-Ready batteries, which are anything but "Ready".

You can probably get cheaper AA and AAA batteries from the PoundShops - notably Kodak do some decent ones - and that's fine for emergencies. But when you want something a bit more longer-lasting and dependable for your device, I would always recommend Duracell

No fault/problems with the delvery or packaging. So with Christmas not too far away now, I'd gear up and get more batteries in readiness for all those electronic gifts you've recieved but have no batteries for.

High accuracy LCD Digital Temperature Humidity Meter Thermometer and Alarm Clock / Calendar
Offered by guangdayiyg

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Time & Weather Station, 16 Aug. 2015
Weary of some the negative reviews for this item, I decided that I'd still buy it given the fairly low price. And in hindsight (6months after buying it) am glad I did!

Yes it is a bit fiddly to setup, as the instructions are in very broken English. But with a bit of logical thought you should be able to work out- via trial and error- how to setup the time, date and alarms

The clock comes with two !AAA" batteries, that slot into the back of the clock quite easily. And to date, have lasted quite well, with no fade or any other problems.

Once setup, you'll see on the LCD display a "Forecast" icon - which could be a graphic of a sun, clouds, rain etc. I'm not overly sure what algorithm it uses to predict the weather, but I would say that the accuracy is no more than 70% correct.

You then information regarding humidity (as a percentage), and temperature (either in F or C); and there's a smaller icon that will give you a "comfort level" based on these two pieces of information.

Then there's a realtime bar-graph that shows historical temperature change over the last 12 hours - very pretty, but not all that interesting really.

And finally in big font, is the time and day.

The controls for changing the respective settings are all laid out on the front of the clock appearing as click-able tiles; and there's also a light button too (the LCD doesn't have permanent luminous digits)

There is an alarm function - but I have never bothered with that, so can't comment here about how good/bad it is. But overall, this clock/weather station, isn't all that bad quite honestly!

In the six months I've had it sitting on my desk, the clock has always kept good time, the temperature has been within 1 or 2C of my wall barometer, as has the humidity sensor.

For £7 it makes for a nice gift, and I would certainly recommend it, once you've got past the fiddly setup process

Limited Edition LION WHITE CHOCOLATE Bar by Nestle - Full box of 40 x 42g Bars
Limited Edition LION WHITE CHOCOLATE Bar by Nestle - Full box of 40 x 42g Bars
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Addictive!, 14 Aug. 2015
I'm no choco-holic, but my wife certainly is, and she tried a limited edition Lion White bar many moons ago, and she expressed immense approval!

However, I never gave it much thought again until recently, when I saw these on Amazon purely by accident. Excellent timing because it was coming up to my wife's birthday, and I wanted to surprise her with something different from the norm.

So when she open the box on her b'day, she was absolutely gob-smacked! And two minutes later, she'd polished off the first of the 40 enclosed bars. Nice broad smile and a big big "Thank you!" for the "lovely surprise"

I think that says it all really! Despatched & delivered in good time, all bars well within sell-by. No damage to report other than that they're dangerously addictive!

Recommended!