Profile for Nick Alexander > Reviews

Content by Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander "Author" (Nice, France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Corrections
The Corrections
Price: 4.05

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping family drama, but not without hiccups., 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Corrections (Kindle Edition)
I liked this a lot. Franzen's analysis and portrayal of modern family life, sibling rivalry, and the challenges of aging, are all spot on.
If it hadn't been for the jarring, farcical detour into comic book Lithuania, I would have loved it enough to give it 5 stars. But the Lithuanian episode, really was a travesty that his editor should have flagged up. Skim the Lithuanian chapters if you must, but still make sure you read this. It's well worth it.

When the Killing's Done
When the Killing's Done
Price: 4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Goodish book, but horrible Kindle conversion, 12 Aug 2013
I liked this. Not as much as many other Boyle books (it seemed overly long to me). If you haven't read Drop City or Tortilla Curtain or Talk Talk, I'd start there first...
This was, however, the worst Kindle conversion I have ever seen. Hundreds - literally hundreds - of formatting errors, missing spaces, words stuck together, random capitals. No one from the publisher can possibly have bothered to read even a few pages of this, because if they had, they would have seen what a mess it is. And that's really not acceptable.

The Hours
The Hours
by David Hare
Price: 8.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Hours (Paperback)
A brilliant screenplay from an amazing novel, one of my favourite novels ever, in fact. How screenplays should be done.

Rude Britannia
Rude Britannia
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Naughty but nice, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Rude Britannia (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this. A Bill Bryson type romp around the landscape... of British sex. Laughed out loud at the Furries , liked the style, and enjoyed the hidden depths too. A bargain read.

The Expats
The Expats
Price: 4.19

4.0 out of 5 stars A damn good read, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
Not my usual genre, but a damned good read. Easy prose, fast pace, more twists and turns than Snake Pass. A 20p bargain.

Man's World
Man's World

5.0 out of 5 stars Where we've been, where we are, where we're going, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Man's World (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, and only put it down when the need to eat and sleep required that I do so.
A gripping, enjoyable, and thought provoking read about where we've been, where we are and where we're going.
So little gay fiction these days is truly literary, crafted, and clever.
It's a real relief to be able to read a gay novel that is actually artful.

BIC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen (Box of 12) - Black
BIC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen (Box of 12) - Black
Price: 15.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor market research, 28 Aug 2012
I'm afraid that Bic should have done better market research before releasing this product. Everyone knows that women can't write, and the reason every other pen ever made in the history of pendom has been a man-pen is for the simple reason that women wouldn't possibly know what to do with one. Still, I guess at least this one will look nice sticking out of a handbag.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2012 8:58 AM BST

Sanrio Hello Kitty Touch Sensitive iPod Dock - Pink / Pink
Sanrio Hello Kitty Touch Sensitive iPod Dock - Pink / Pink
Price: 59.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound, access to screen fiddly, 5 Sep 2011
The shape makes it hard to touch the bottom of the iPhone screen, so choosing music requires lifting from the dock, but the soundis absolutey amazing for such a small device.

Auna TMX-2211 3/2 Channel Basic DJ Mixer - White
Auna TMX-2211 3/2 Channel Basic DJ Mixer - White
Offered by DealRite
Price: 40.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly unusable, 10 July 2011
Whoever designed this unit has never ever Deejayed.
Because the sound coming from the headphones is, under all circumstances, identical to what's coming out of the amp-out sockets, it's completely impossible to pre-cue the next track using heaphones - that is, not without everyone else hearing your pre-cuing mess. In fact, it's hard to see what possible use the headphone socket might serve, or indeed, what use this entire unit is meant for.
Unusable.

Into The Dark Unknown
Into The Dark Unknown

5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly beautiful, 15 Feb 2011
This album is so beautiful, words fail when trying to describe it.
Holcombe Waller's voice is the voice of an angel and his lyrics describe love and angst as well as any songwriter currently on the planet. This album grew on me slowly, and it has become an obsession - I have played virtually nothing else since I got it, and it still brings tears to my eyes.Honestly, get it. It's stunning.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3