Profile for Littlepig Littlepig > Reviews

Content by Littlepig Litt...

Littlepig Littlepig (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Visit [DVD]
The Visit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Deanna Dunagan

5.0 out of 5 stars A fiercely original and very enjoyable film, 23 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Visit [DVD] (DVD)
I really, really enjoyed this film. It's scary in a good way but also very funny. The two young leads did an excellent job, particularly the younger brother with his raps. The comic moments didn't deflate the tension in the film and I didn't see the twist coming at all. I'm surprised by the negative reviews but everyone's opinion is going to be different and Shamalan isn't for everyone but I would recommend you try this film if you like to be spooked and tickled in turns.

Beneath the Boards
Beneath the Boards

1.0 out of 5 stars Turned sour very quickly, 23 Feb. 2016
This had promise. It was well-written and had a good premise. However 60% of my way through the book (according to Kindle) it got thoroughly nasty, and stomach-churning. I'm not faint-hearted but I just stopped enjoying this. The author had sacrificed good old-fashioned scariness for unpleasantness and it didn't work for me. I'm disappointed.

The English Girl
The English Girl
by Katherine Webb

4.0 out of 5 stars An original and interesting debut, 22 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The English Girl (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book because the title wasn't exactly inspiring. But the author paints so vivid a picture of Arabia you can almost taste it, with the stories of Joan in the 1950s and and Norah 70 years earlier running parallel. Both have come to Arabia to satiate their appetite for adventure, something unheard of by women even in the more enlightened decade. When Norah asks Joan to do her a favour and visit a political prisoner she has no idea what she is getting into.

Set against the background of the Jebel Akhdar war this is a carefully-researched and an engrossing book with frequent moments of beauty in the prose. I think this would work as a film, too. It is an enjoyable read and I look forward to the next offering from the author.

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors
by B A Paris

4.0 out of 5 stars Bravo - a bold debut, 11 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I started reading this book, which opens with Grace presenting the perfect dinner for her guests under her husband's watchful eye, with a feeling of unease. Of course the true nature of their relationship is laid bare within the following few chapters, but I like the way the author works up to this. She doesn't use linear narration which means by the time you find out what's really going on "behind closed doors" you're pretty involved with the characters. I was tempted to put it down when Jack lays himself bare and explains his past to his wife because I didn't believe it and I thought it was hammy, but at the same time I wanted to find out what happened next, so I continued to read and I'm glad I did. It's not brilliantly written nor totally believable, but it's a good tense read and similar to "Into the Darkest Corner" by Elizabeth Haynes it is terrifyingly convincing. I look forward to more from this author as I think this story showed great originality and a pleasing tendency to the dark side (which I like in my books!).

Try Not to Breathe
Try Not to Breathe
by Holly Seddon

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 8 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Try Not to Breathe (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an unusual and interesting thriller written in the style of Elizabeth Heynes and Sophie Hannah. I thought that for a debut it was pretty good. Alex, an ex-journalist and anything-but-ex alcoholic, stumbles across the story of Amy, a woman who's been in a coma for 15 years following a violent assault. Alex, Amy and those around them are brought vividly to life as Alex uncovers Amy's story. The detail in it is fresh and there is occasionally surprising beauty in the writing. Holly Seddon has created her characters well, on the whole, although some were a little clichéd (Mr Wheeler, for example) made me wince. I guessed the identity of the assailant long before the end of the book but I was reading for the pleasure of finding out how they were uncovered, and that's a compliment to the writing style.

Jonathan Dark or The Evidence Of Ghosts
Jonathan Dark or The Evidence Of Ghosts
by A. K. Benedict

4.0 out of 5 stars A fiercely original and interesting voice, 31 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book and I hope that the author takes Detective Jonathan Dark and Frank, the undertaker who can communicate with spirits, into a sequel as there's lots of room for more stories and further exploration of Benedict's fascinating ideas about the ghosts who walk amongst the living rather than settling in The Gloaming. The writing isn't perfect, but there are moments of real beauty and originality in the prose which leap off the page and make you feel like you're reading a poem rather than a novel. The identity of Maria's stalker kept me guessing until the very end and I read the book in one day. I kept thinking "I'll put it down after this chapter" and then found I was turning the page to the next one. Great work!

Spectacles: A Memoir
Spectacles: A Memoir
by Sue Perkins

3.0 out of 5 stars More like rose-coloured glasses, 29 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Spectacles: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Oh dear. I like Sue Perkins, and find her funny, so I really wanted to enjoy this book - but it didn't do anything for me. The author appeared so intent on being hilarious all the time that reading was quite an effort. I liked the moments of real emotion such as her discovering an old friend was closer than she thought, but they came in the midst of such frantic jolly "LET'S BE FUNNEE" that they jarred. She has a beautiful turn of phrase occasionally but so many of the characters were cartoon-characters (her parents, for example) that most of the book didn't ring true. Another reviewer said that you don't actually learn very much about Sue Perkins herself, despite this being a memoir, and I think that's spot on. I felt disappointed.

Friends of the Dusk (Merrily Watkins Mysteries) (Merrily Watkins Series)
Friends of the Dusk (Merrily Watkins Mysteries) (Merrily Watkins Series)
by Phil Rickman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous stuff, 26 Jan. 2016
I devoured this book in two sittings. Rickman has done it again - the Merrily Watkins series gets more and more engrossing without ever losing the unique blend of supernatural and real life which is its trademark. The discovery of an ancient skeleton under a tree culminates in a gruesome murder, and while Frannie Bliss attempts to untangle the crime Merrily is dealing with threats to her job. The writing is taut, perhaps tighter than in previous novels, with a twist which made me feel sick until the denouement in the last few pages.

Hopefully the TV adaptation of Midwinter of the Spirit will mean Rickman garners more fans because he deserves to be much more recognised and lauded than he is presently.

Jeff Banks 6-Piece Egyptian Cotton Supersoft Contemporary Towels - Cream
Jeff Banks 6-Piece Egyptian Cotton Supersoft Contemporary Towels - Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality towels, 25 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These towels are soft, just as they claim to be, and absorbent. I was pleased with them, but note that the bath towel is smaller than I'd usually buy as I prefer a bath sheet. Nice product though and an ideal gift as it comes very neatly wrapped with a ribbon.

The Ashes of London
The Ashes of London
by Andrew Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 8 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Ashes of London (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love decent historical fiction and Andrew Taylor never fails to deliver. He is the author of The American Boy which introduced us to the child Edgar Allan Poe and has just improved from that book forwards. This fascinating story is set during and in the aftermath of the Great Fire of London and paints a vivid picture of the sights, smells and etiquettes of 17th century London. Entwined with the story of this terror and destruction is that of the new monarchy resurrected under Charles II and all the problems this causes. The minor characters are as well-drawn and believable as Cat and James the main protagonists. I really enjoyed this book and the climax, set in St Paul's cathedral, made me feel dizzy just reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20