Profile for wickedwitchofthewestend > Reviews

Chrysalis June Glass Pearl Rhodium-Plated Bangle
Chrysalis June Glass Pearl Rhodium-Plated Bangle
Offered by Rock Lobster Jewellery

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasing purchase, 12 Jun. 2016
I'm overall very, very pleased with my purchase - the thought that goes into the packaging is fantastic and you're even supplied with a lovely gift bag for the bracelet to go in which was a great touch. The only ONLY snag I had was that part of the reason I bought the bracelet is because it is meant to denote June, for a June birthday, but it didn't reference this on the packaging, which would have been a nice extra touch but that is me being really picky. Love the product (I already had a Chrysalis bracelet for myself) and special thanks to Alison who sent it to me :)

Beard Grooming Kit by Percy Nobleman. A Beard Oil, Wash, Wax & Comb Gift Set For Men

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 7 Dec. 2015
Not worth the money for such a small product - bought it as a Christmas gift thinking it looked quite impressive, but it's not worth £25.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S. J. Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This book made me cry within the first 20 pages. It's a concept that's been done before - a woman with amnesia waking to find out she has amnesia every morning... Very emotional in places, yet still thrilling enough with strange and unexpected plot twists.

Highly reccomend.

BEER LAGER CAN ALARM WITH CLOCK FACE AT ONE END CHOICE OF DESIGNS
BEER LAGER CAN ALARM WITH CLOCK FACE AT ONE END CHOICE OF DESIGNS

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 21 April 2013
The clock I ordered didn't come with instructions as to what battery to use/how to work the alarm etc.

It also didn't work when I put in the battery - the minute hand stuck.

Girl, Interrupted
Girl, Interrupted
by Susanna Kaysen

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and eye-opening, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Girl, Interrupted (Paperback)
A close and intimate encounter with Kaysen's life as a mental illness patient - the characters are all individual, somewhat relateable and sometimes shocking. Not just a series of memoirs, but a gripping and fascinating story.

An unbelieveable and well-written piece.

Pitch Perfect
Pitch Perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Only buy it after seeing the film!!, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Pitch Perfect (Audio CD)
What a fantastic and up-to-date soundtrack of both contemporary and well-loved songs. The standard of accapella is unsurpassed - and what great timing for this film to arrive with the disappointment of the later Glee series and the popularity of 'The Sing Off'. But SEE THE FILM FIRST! You will love the music far more when understanding what meaning each song has to the plot.

Highly recommend.

Les Miserables - The 25th Anniversary in Concert at the O2 [DVD]
Les Miserables - The 25th Anniversary in Concert at the O2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alfie Boe
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables is still a masterpiece, 23 Sept. 2012
Do not compare this version with the 10th anniversary, because we all know that the 10th anniversary cast are incomparable.
BUT what a cast. Ramin Karimloo, first of all, is one of the most unbelieveably talented male performers I have ever known. The perfect choice for Enjorlas. Samantha Banks also must be commended for her Eponine because I initially didn't rate her, for which I sincerely apologise. She is an incredible Ponine. Her 'On My Own' rivals Lea Salonga's. Lea, on the other hand, let me down as Fantine. She sang 'I Dreamed a Dream' poorly and overacted most of her part. Alfie Boe was a good Valjean, with a fantastic operatic range, but Les Mis isn't an opera. Norm Lewis as Javert blew me out of the water. And Matt Lucas with Jenny Galloway was actually very witty in the role of Thenardier. Katie Hall and Nick Jonas were very endearing as Cosette and Marius. I defend Nick for the sole reason that people may be unsure of his ability. He's good. There are many changes in the 25th to the 10th, but personally I found them exciting. The show itself needs no explaination. It remains my absolute favourite musical and always will be. The story is varied and keeps you guessing. The characters are relatable and thrilling. The music is some of the most sublime composing I have ever heard. Les Miserables is musical theatre at its very best.

Chess In Concert [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Chess In Concert [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Chess In Concert
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess is a musical conundrum, 23 Sept. 2012
This musical astounds me in so many ways for so many different reasons. Personally, I absolutely adore it. But that doesn't mean that it's flawless. The casting is unbelievable. Josh Groban, Adam Pascal, Idina Menzel and Kerry Ellis? What more could you ask for? Ok, so Ellis and Groban can't do a Russian accent, but their musical prowess is undeniable. And Pascal and Menzel back together again after Rent? Wonderful. Their chemistry as a supposed couple isn't there, but it doesn't matter when Idina has the voice and the intention of a significantly established Broadway actress and Adam sings 'Pity the Child' with so much emotion and passion that it makes you cry and want to listen to it over and over again. As a musical, on the whole, it's really great. I was obsessed with the soundtrack for months. However, the story's...ok and Marti Pellow is...unusual and overly serious, and there are abysmal musical numbers like 'Talking Chess' which should really be called 'Talking S***' because it is utterly pointless. BUT there are also astonishing numbers like 'Nobody's Side' and 'The Deal (No Deal)', not to mention a long-awaited duet between Menzel and Ellis in the infamous 'I Know Him So Well'. So don't give up on it until you've tried it. You never know. You may grow to love it. I did.

Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD]
Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Real musical fans should not like this musical, 23 Sept. 2012
It's boring. I'll be honest. The characters are simple. I got halfway in and stopped because I didn't have the interest to carry on. If you're a Madness fan, it's great, but unlike the well-written adaption of Abba's songs in Mamma Mia, Our House does not give the same standard. The plot is basic and does not excite. The musical direction is minimal, if at all present. The one thing I can commend is the set. But then even that in comparison to the likes of Wicked and Phantom is notoriously unimaginative. I would love to love it, I really would, but I wouldn't pay to go and see it by any stretch. Spend your money more wisely and invest on something like Jason Robert Brown's 'The Last Five Years' on CD or even save it for the Les Miserables film premiere, because that, I promise you, will be worth seeing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2012 6:46 AM GMT

Lipstick Jungle
Lipstick Jungle
by Candace Bushnell

5.0 out of 5 stars A relaxing, riveting read, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Lipstick Jungle (Paperback)
Unlike many Bushnell fans, I could not get in to SATC, no matter how much I'm devoted to the series, but LJ was so easy-going and interesting that I was won over.

The characters are absolutely relatable, and even though the plotline and lives of these characters may not be largely realistic at times, they are still somehow empowering to female readers, to see life from the perspective of powerful, successful New York women.

I got through chapters and chapters without realising, when usually I'm waiting for a set certain page to finish on.

Buy it. Read it. Love it. It's fabulous.