Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now
Profile for siskin > Reviews

Content by siskin

siskin

Page: 1 | 2
Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
by Martin Evening

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to CS6, 30 Dec. 2013
This is the third volume of this book that I have bought, and it is the best so far, being much clearer and better organised than earlier ones. With CS6 being such a massive package, not everything is covered, but most of the stuff I wanted to know was there, including a chapter devoted to ACR.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Exposure too long, 30 Dec. 2013
I'm using this on and APS-C camera, rather than a full frame one, but it still suffers from a lot of vignetting. Although vignetting was expected, it is not of the artistic variety, as it is too abrupt and asymmetrical. It clains to be an f/8 aperture, but it must be more like f/45, with shutter speeds of under 1/15 second. As a result it isn't possible to handhold it, even with a high ISO set. Using it on a tripod takes away the spontaneity, but the exposures don't run into many seconds, so you don't get to use really long exposures for blurred clouds etc. By itself on an APS-C camera, the focal length is too long, so isn't much use for landscapes. Used in conjunction with the 120 fisheye adaptor it gives an equivalent focal length of around 35mm, which is better, but still not really wide enough.

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Greate value device, 30 Dec. 2013
I bought this to connect my laptop to my existing hifi. It was easy to setup, and is unobtrusive. It works well, and sounds better than using a portable bluetooth speaker, although obviously not as good as a CD.

Super MicroFibre - Cushion Pad Inner Insert - 26 x 26 " (65 x 65 cm) - Washable at Home - The Best Synthetic Cushion Pad Available by HOMESCAPES
Offered by HOMESCAPES

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cushions, 30 Dec. 2013
I bought these to replace leaking, dusty old feather cushions for my sofa, which were causing allergies, and were badly out of shape. These new cushions are much better. They can be washed and are non-allergenic. However they actually feel more comfortable than the down cushions, and they keep their shape much better.

Logitech 2.1 Speaker System Z623
Logitech 2.1 Speaker System Z623
Offered by ATELCO UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Weighty sound, 30 Dec. 2013
My old Cambridge Audio PC speakers were getting tired, having been used for 15 years. These replacement Logitechs are certainly more poweful and better built. The sub is almost as big as my REL audio sub, which could be a problem for those with a small room, but is OK for me. The stereo speakers are also a decent size, and look good.

With such a big sub, the sound is certainly loud and meaty. However, it's not really a refined sound. The mid-range is a bit muddy, and there isn't much in the way of treble. However, it's not designed as a hifi, and it does the job required for my PC.

Draper 07212 180L Compost Tumbler
Draper 07212 180L Compost Tumbler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great composter, 30 Dec. 2013
I used to have one of those fixed plastic composters, but it wasn't very good, it used to take years for the compost to break down, as it wasn't possible to turn it.

So I thought that I'd try a tumbler instead. I was tempted by one of the all-metal versions, but decided that was too extravagent. I saw this one on Amazon, and noted the mostly positive reviews.

I'm certainly no DIYer, so I'd say that it required a moderate amount of skill and patience to set up. Not trivial, but nothing like the log store I recently purchased. The instructions are quite clear and easy to follow. I think that it took about an hour to setup.

Once constructed, the bin is very robust. At first it is very easy to rotate, but after I filled it with some turf it became more difficult.

After using it for a couple of months I can see that it is composting much quicker than my old bin, despite it being winter. I've only been turning it once a week when I empty fresh kitchen waste into it. When it gets too heavy, I'll tip it into a slotted wooden compost bin to finish off, and start a new batch, which seems like a good way to use it.

SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
Offered by iHD Lounge

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little player, 30 Dec. 2013
I bought this for using in the car. It's small size means that it is easy to hide away. For its size it sounds OK: nothing special but not awful. However, I have to crank up the gain and the volume on both the player and my car stereo to get it to sound loud enough.

Amendment: scrub the bit about the volume: after reading some other reviews, I found the trick to get it sounding loud enough. When setting up the device (or after resetting) make sure that you choose USA as the Region; do not select Europe, as this severley limits the sound level. Resetting the player (which doesn't wipe you music) it sounds very loud in the car without effort,

Cambridge Audio MINX GO Bluetooth Active
Cambridge Audio MINX GO Bluetooth Active
Offered by Punto Tec

5.0 out of 5 stars Greate sound from a small box, 30 Dec. 2013
I bought this as a Christmas present, after looking at more expensive offerings such as the Pure Jongo. Reading reviews of the Minx I decided to take the plunge with it.

The recipient is not technically minded, but it was easy to pair with an iPad once it had been charged.

We were all pleased with the sound, which is suprisingly good, with clear vocals and weighty but not overpowering bass. You can crank up the volume to a high level with little distortion. Whilst not ear-splittingly loud, it is certainly up to the job it is designed for. It's a big improvement over the stock iPad sound, and that of a small Bluetooth speaker that I have. It's the ideal size really, being big enough to give good sound, but still small enough to be portable around the house or the garden.

Homescapes - Ultrasoft Super Microfibre - All Seasons Duvet ( 9.5 + 4.5 Tog ) - King Size - The Best Synthetic Duvets designed for And Used By The Best 5 and 7 Star Hotels From Around The World - Anti Allergy - Anti Dustmite - Box Baffel Construction - Washable at Home
Offered by HOMESCAPES

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, but sweaty, 30 Dec. 2013
I've bought a few things from Homescapes, such as cushion fillings, and have been very pleased at the quality and value. For a new bed I required a duvet, and was about to spend a fortune on a John Lewis one, when I saw this one. It is very well made, and does feel very soft and downy, in comparison to my existing hollow-fibre duvets, which are nothing like down duvets.

The duvet is very warm, it feels as if the 14 tog rating could be an underestimate. The duvet is good for allergies, being made of polyester. However, the trouble with that is that it isn't breathable. I often wake up with both the bed and myself drenched in sweat, which isn't nice. I wonder if it would be better if the cover of the duvet was made from cotton or another breathable fabric. If it wasn't for that it would have been a 5* product.

Wooden Composter Medium
Wooden Composter Medium
Offered by Garden Selections

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Wooden Composter Medium (Misc.)
This is the second composter I have purchased. The first one arrived rather damp and mouldy in its packaging, as if it had been sitting around in water for a while. However I couldn't be bothered with the faff of sending it back. The second composter didn't have the same problem.

It's quite easy to set up, as long as you start off with the smaller pieces of wood at the bottom, and have a rubber mallet to ensure a snug fit. It's not going to be so easy to move compost between bins, and will probably involve having to at least partly dismantling. On the other hand the slotting design bins are prone to warping, so overall I prefer this slotting design.

Page: 1 | 2