Profile for HoverDonkey > Reviews

Content by HoverDonkey

HoverDonkey "Mark" (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Ink Blue (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, Slim, Functional but Pricey., 26 Oct 2012
I've had a few Kindles and have always bought the official cover, despite the fact that cheaper alternatives are always available, mainly because Amazon have unerringly supplied me with quality products and the official covers have usually had some form of extra functionality.

In previous covers this has been provided by the built-in lights in the cover, but this time, as the Paperwhite has its own light, the cover automatically sleeps and wakes the Kindle as you close and open the case. And I have to admit that, while it's not exactly difficult or time-consuming simply pressing the button on the Kindle, it's a little touch that adds just a little bit more joy to using the Kindle.

The cover itself is very slim, fits the Kindle perfectly and looks neat and smart sat on your desk or bedside table. The front is ever so slightly padded and the brushed metal accent of the magnetic clasp adds to the appeal and seems to keep the cover reasonably securely closed, as long as you don't wave your Kindle in the air. The texture of the leather reminds me somewhat of some old leathery library books that sat on the shelves at my school and evokes feelings of quality and learnedness.

At the end of the day it's a cover, so there's nothing to lose any sleep over, but what it does it does well and it's certainly a quality product.

Marked down by one star as it's probably a tenner too expensive.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 9:29 PM GMT

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a gorgeous device. Not perfect, but almost., 26 Oct 2012
Imagine my bewilderment when, only a few short months after I upgraded my Kindle Keyboard to a Kindle Touch, Amazon announce the paperwhite. Well, my wife has wanted an e-reader for a while, so I had no hesitation in ordering a spangly new Paperwhite to replace my spangly almost-new Touch.

It arrived today with a plop on my doormat and am I glad I took the plunge? You betcha!

My first impression was one of quality: the device itself is solid, a sleek black akin to 2001's monolith, sturdy and tactile, owing to its smooth front bezel and its rubbery back cover. Immediately it made me feel confident I'd enjoy many hours curled up in its company.

The major selling point of this newest incarnation is its updated, sharper display, complemented by the front-lit nano-imprinted boffinry that replaces any external light source. In this it does not disappoint. Even at reduced font sizes (selected from its now increased list of fonts) the text is crisp, clear and precise. The ghosting which was evident on the Touch is now a thing of the past, and only very rarely is noticeable.

The lighting is smooth, even and eminently adjustable to suit every possible kind of ambient lighting. Yes, as other people have commented, there are some small darker patches between the LEDs at the base of the screen, but to be perfectly honest I hardly notice them at all and unless you're looking for things to criticise it shouldn't be a problem. This is the only shortcoming I could identify because, in almost every other way, this Kindle is superior to all its predecessors.

A nice little touch was the fact that as soon as I powered on my shiny new gadget for the very first time, it called me by name during set-up and recognised that I was upgrading. It even remembered my facebook and twitter account details so that I didn't need to configure those again.

I've paired mine with an official leather cover and the way it sleeps and awakes with the closing and opening of the cover is another one of those small conveniences that all add up to make a wonderful e-reading experience.

I've already had 4 or 5 hours reading with my new Kindle under my belt and it's been a pleasure from start to finish. One of those few pieces of technology that makes me feel all smiley inside!

Sixsixone Recon Stealth Unisex XC/AM/Trail Helmet - White, Large/X-Large
Sixsixone Recon Stealth Unisex XC/AM/Trail Helmet - White, Large/X-Large
Offered by BIKESTER
Price: 74.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet, 24 Aug 2012
I've had this helmet a few weeks now and seriously can't fault it.

I've got a big head, and the Large/X Large one fit me perfectly with only a little adjustment on the excellent ratcheted band at the rear. It's a snug fit, but the venting directs the cool air directly and efficiently to your scalp, keeping you nice and cool. It fastens comfortably and after a short while you forget it's there and it stays snug and firm on even the bumpiest of trails.

Add to that the excellent coverage at the lower rear of your head (something omitted by lots of MTB helmets) as well as the cool, sleek, matt black finish (I also tried on the white one - also very cool, and with a matt finish - but the black just looked that little bit cooler, and matches my bike to boot) and you've got an overall excellent product.

Highly recommended - not sure how I could find fault with this one!

Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine, 1400 Watt, Titanium
Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine, 1400 Watt, Titanium

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure how I managed before it., 16 July 2012
Everything about this device reeks of quality, from the solid construction to the finishing of the supplied attachments (and there are many), to the overall demeanour of the machine as it sits, thrumming with potential, in the corner of your kitchen. The "K" whisk is a thing of stainless steel beauty in itself.

I have whisked egg whites for meringues (wow - stiff peaks in no time), kneaded dough for bread (makes silky smooth, elastic dough in minutes), made ice cream with the extra ice cream maker attachment (the best ice cream I've ever tasted), mashed potatoes (fast, thorough, lump-free, light and smooth), chopped carrots and onions (blink and you'll miss it), crushed ice, made cookie dough, finely chopped veg for stews and all of it has been quick, easy, effective, probably better than I could have hoped to achieve by hand, and simple to clean up afterwards.

There are so many other things I know I'll be able to use it for just as soon as I have the time, that the possibilities are truly endless.

It's the single best thing I have in my kitchen and has allowed me to effortlessly expand my culinary repertoire from the minute I unpacked it. Even when kneading bread dough at a reasonably high speed the Chef doesn't flinch, but simply gets on with the job thanks to its powerful and eminently controllable motor. I'm confident that if you look after this beast it'll last you years.

Highly recommended, and so much more useful than your Magimix. Great product!

Bacheldre Watermill Stoneground Strong Bakers White Flour 16 kg
Bacheldre Watermill Stoneground Strong Bakers White Flour 16 kg
Price: 20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great flour - but I feel misled, 22 Jun 2012
Like I say - great flour, and it produces delicious bread.

But the photograph depicting the flour shows a sack clearly labelled as "Organic", which is why I ordered this flour. I feel a little misled, as I now have a sack of non-organic, albeit still very high quality, flour.

Like I say, it makes wonderful bread, but please don't assume it's organic based upon the photograph. But, while I'm thinking of it, isn't it legally dubious showing a photo of organic flour, and selling the standard product in its place?

Shame, as it's great flour (hence the 4 stars), but not very well marketed here on Amazon.

I'll be cancelling my subscription to this flour, anyhow...

Boxed set of 2 x 400ml Fairtrade Nelson Whisky Tumbler N2
Boxed set of 2 x 400ml Fairtrade Nelson Whisky Tumbler N2
Offered by Cub's Den
Price: 15.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and stylish, 14 Jun 2012
I have to say that I love these glasses.

Some people are complaining about the cardboard box and the newspaper packaging, which I think misses the point: these glasses are hand made from recycled wine bottles then packed, along with a card signed by the worker who made your particular glasses, in fully recycled packaging (I personally loved looking at the articles in the Swaziland newspaper!) and it all added to the "shabby chic" of the item.

The glasses themselves are solid, slightly green, and look great with a nice dram sloshing around them.

Highly recommended!

Brabantia Classic Corkscrew - Matt Steel
Brabantia Classic Corkscrew - Matt Steel
Offered by Perfect Groceries
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should, and does it brilliantly, 7 May 2012
Well, I've gone into depth about a novel's characterisation, and I've waxed lyrical about a video game's complex game play, but this is a corkscrew and all I can really say is that it does its job with aplomb.

Great design, simple utility, and quality of construction - a very good purchase.

(except forget about the foil cutter - use a sharp knife instead :D )

Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga 1)
Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga 1)
by Peter F. Hamilton
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly epic Sci-Fi saga - recommended!, 7 May 2012
Hamilton's universe is well constructed and believable.

This book introduces us to the Primes, one of the most well conceived and utterly alien alien species I've encountered in fiction. The entire concept of the Primes scares me rigid, but alongside the threat to mankind is a lush universe, full of wonders and scientific advances.

It is all woven together in a rich tapestry and compels the reader to continue.

My only criticism is that it's a little long and some of the extensive descriptions of poitical situations and inter and intra-familial exchanges, which upset the pace of the story, could have been shortened or omitted.

But overall, a true classic of the genre, crafted by an accomplished and confident author - highly recommended!

Huy Fong Sriracha Chilli Sauce
Huy Fong Sriracha Chilli Sauce
Offered by sushisushi
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rooster Rocks!, 23 April 2012
It's official - I cannnot live without this sauce.

The prefect addition to almost all foods, Huy Fong Sriracha is a gift from the gods, bestowed upon mankind to help him consume his wife's awful cooking.

A little bit of the sauce adds a small kick to any meal, but one of the great beatuies of this sauce is that the heat is scalable, meaning the heat can become really rather powerful with liberal additions.

I can now make Chilli for my family, keeping it mild for my kids, then adding a healthy slug into my portion for that lip-tingling heat that I love. It makes a cheeseburger into a culinary masterpiece, and even stops baked beans from being boring. Try it on eggs. Try it in soups or on a bacon sandwich. Try it with just about anything - your tastebuds will thank you!

Amazon Kindle Touch Lighted Leather Cover, Olive Green (only fits Kindle Touch)
Amazon Kindle Touch Lighted Leather Cover, Olive Green (only fits Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Designed Thoughtfully, 23 April 2012
The Kindle Touch Lighted Cover is a luxury addition to your Kindle Touch.

Only compatible with the Kindle Touch, the e-reader fits extremely snugly within the cover, allowing the cover to draw its power from the Kindle itself, avoiding the need for extra batteries.

The front part of the cover folds over very easily and doesn't add to the bulk of the Kindle, allowing the screen to be fully uncovered during reading. On top of this, the rubber that surrounds the Kindle is very "grippy" and helps you hold on to your precious device.

I bought the Olive colour option and the whole thing looks professional, sturdy and sleek. The light allows full-page reading in even the darkest conditions, and only draws a small amount of power from your Kindle.

All in all, I'd say this is one of the most useful and stylish, yet light, covers for the Kindle Touch and helps make your new e-reader the complete package - highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5