Profile for Bonzo Dog > Reviews

Content by Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog "Craig" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Garmin Dakota 10 Handheld GPS
Garmin Dakota 10 Handheld GPS

4.0 out of 5 stars good , but basic, 4 July 2013
I really considered whether to purchase this or not. Some good reviews , some very bad. I didn't want to spend a huge amount as basically I want something to check my co-ordinates against a map when I'm out. I have an old garmin from about 10 yrs ago that takes an age to lock to satellites and loses signal under trees and near buildings. My mobile 'phone gps is quicker and more accurate than that now - but the battery life on the 'phone is shocking.
So received an unpacked - it's very small and compact in your hand, about half the sixe of my old one. It comes with wristband in case you drop it. I was fully expecting the base map to be poor - and it was. I had already downloaded the talkytoaster ones and uploaded them in a couple of minutes. The areas I've looked at are OK - but I've only been looking at the scottish highlands as that where I'm off to next week. I can report back in more detail after that. I also downloaded Basecamp and when the gps is plugged in the map is transferred into that. I did have a look at the expensive garmin maps - the whole UK one seems to be 1.2GB - which is worrying if you want that as this only has internal memory of 850MB. No SD card slot in the 10 , only the £20 which was £50 dearer. I'm wondering if I should have gone with that to cope with future requirements. Time will tell
After changing it to report Bristish OS grid references I went into the garden and it took a couple of minutes to obtain satellite details and give location. Accurate to a few feet. On subsequent power ups it's faster than my 'phone. So this seems to do what I want very well and has all the other functions I'm familiar with - waypoints , trip recording etc, but if you need several maps it may be a bit too basic.
I've played with the geocaching abilities - never done this before but I've downloaded a few into the unit and may do a few when I'm over on the isle of mull next week.

Quite happy with it at the moment but I'll see how it copes in the field.

TP-Link TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch
TP-Link TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch

3.0 out of 5 stars Good , but limited, 29 May 2013
These work fine for sky, bluray and tv in general. What I have discovered is that it cannot handle streaming full HD MKV files. I should have investigated this in the first place. It seems to cope with SD movies OK though. I have my NAS connected via powerline to this unit which then connects to TV, Blu Ray , SKY+ and WD TV Live. It only seems to stutter and freeze when I'm streaming HD movies from the NAS. If I plug the ethernet cable from the powerline straight into the WD TV then it streams smoothly. I'll just need to do that until I upgrade to a better switch. More of my lack of knowledge than a failure on the unit.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent adapters, 19 Nov 2012
These work very well in my house. Excellent download speeds , much faster than my wireless connection. One of these and an ethernet hub to feed my tv, blu ray and Sky+HD box and works easily with no waiting about buffering. Well worth it. Even works on an extension cable. There really is no need to pair them , unless you don't have any security on your network already. I just plugged these in and they worked immediatley.

Shocksock Reflective Sports Armband, Case, Cover, Holder for iPhone 5S - Black
Shocksock Reflective Sports Armband, Case, Cover, Holder for iPhone 5S - Black
Offered by ClickJunkie

4.0 out of 5 stars iphone 5 sport case, 15 Oct 2012
upgraded to iphone 5 , which means replacing all accessories. This was the only armband I could find so gave it a go. It works well enough . Secure enough and comfortable whilst running so no complaints.

Camlink TPPRE27 Premium Camera Camcorder Tripod
Camlink TPPRE27 Premium Camera Camcorder Tripod
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars tripod, 14 Jun 2012
Got this for spotting scope and occasional camera use. It's quite a sturdy tripod that takes the weight of the scope easily.It's quite well made with all the usual twists turns and fittings. The only adverse thing I would say is it's quite heavy compared to previous tripods I've owned - it may be the others were cheap rubbish!

Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent little adaptor, 18 April 2012
I have now bought two of these which must be a good recommendation in itself. When upgrading our broadband package I discovered my HP laptop wasn't wireless N compatible. I looked about and thought this would be most discreet and less likely to snap off. I was glad I did as you wouldn't even know it's there and I get excellent speeds with bt infinity, not as fast as wired obviously but right up where BT suggested I would get. Recently the wireless card in my wifes dell laptop just stopped working so now she has one as well and it works just as well.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars foscam wireless ip camera, 18 April 2012
The reviews here on the difficulty of set up are quite off putting but I decided to give it a try anyway. I read the tips here and on the foscam website which were very helpful. I'm not an IT person but I actally found setup quite easy - just follow the steps carefully. I had it set up wirelessly in under 5 minutes and could view it from my network. Viewing externally was a bit more difficult. Again the foscam website faqs were very helpful. Knowing how your router works is key to this I think as setting up port forwarding etc is probably different for each make and model. The internet is very handy for finding the correct forum if you get stuck. I have learnt a lot about mine during this. I have a BT home Hub 3 and apparently thats not a good thing if you want to do this! However I do have it all working now and can view and operate the camera from my iphone, either through safari or an app called livecamspro. I also learnt that I don't have a static ip address and set up a free no-ip account to get round that. Altogether a good learning experience.
oh and the picture quality is pretty good indoors day or night.

Panasonic SC-HTB15EB-K Home Cinema Speakers with Integrated Subwoofer
Panasonic SC-HTB15EB-K Home Cinema Speakers with Integrated Subwoofer

4.0 out of 5 stars panasonic and Sky+HD, 21 Nov 2011
my first home cinema speakers. went for this as I didn't want wires all over the place with a 5.1 system. Easy to set up - nice touch being able to use as one horisontal soundbar or two vertical speakers. Plugged my Sky+HD box and Panasonic blu ray via HDMI and away I went. Sounds impressive - way better than the TV speakers. I went for this as my TV is a panasonic as well and wanted to use viera link - which works very well. So all good until I noticed when watching Sky the signal was not Dolby digital. After investigating this I discovered that Sky+HD does not output dolby digital via HDMI, only digital optic. After switching the optical output from the tv to the amp the sound improved even more - watching movies on Sky Hd with this really does give good cinema effect sound. As the amp only has one digital optic input I do now have to swap the input round when I use the blu ray - not the greatest hassle but not ideal, hence only four stars.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2012 9:57 AM GMT

Lowther Unisex-Adult 0 Wellington Boots Green 9 UK
Lowther Unisex-Adult 0 Wellington Boots Green 9 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars wellies, 18 Nov 2011
Comfy wellies that keep your feet dry and warm in the wet. Not much more you can really ask of them. Easy to get off and on. Had my last pair of wellies for about 20 years - hope these do as well.

Thermos Stainless King Food Flask 0.47L Blue
Thermos Stainless King Food Flask 0.47L Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars it works, 24 Oct 2011
neber been a fan of thermos flasks. never really kept things hot and left a nasty aftertaste - tea and soup always tasting of flask. Having to be careful what I eat these days I decided to try again. Really impressed with this. Heat up with hot water for a few minutes (never have the patience to leave it the full 10 minutes) fill with a can of hot soup at 7am - then at 1pm hot soup for lunch - and no aftertaste. Good work.

Page: 1 | 2