Profile for Sarah > Reviews

Content by Sarah

Sarah "SET" (Cambridge, UK)

Hidersine 3V World Famous Rosin Violin Viola
Hidersine 3V World Famous Rosin Violin Viola

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product, lousy packaging., 9 May 2015
Great rosin but a total nightmare to get the tin open. My husband ended up getting a monkey wrench to it!

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing., 19 April 2015
I've never really considered before how much you have to trust the narrator in a story, until I read this book where the narrator can't be trusted. An excellent twist on the idea of a mystery novel, told with sympathy and superb first-person narrative.

Notes from an Exhibition
Notes from an Exhibition

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read but another damned annoying ending!!!, 14 Mar. 2014
I was completely gripped by the story, loved the characters, loved the way the chronology is all muddled. But I hate it when books stop abruptly like that!

Longbourn
Longbourn

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read at all., 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
This is a gentle book, hinting at a familiar story but engaging in its own right. I liked the characters and I wanted it to end well for them. It was an easy and enjoyable read.

New Classic Toys 0356 Tuneable Drum
New Classic Toys 0356 Tuneable Drum

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so durable after all., 25 Nov. 2011
This is a great drum for playing and for marching with. We were given one for my eldest son's first birthday 4 years ago and he's played with it intermittently but always enjoyed it. Then, in the last week with him and my 2 year playing it, both skins have split - one side was over-enthusiastic drumming with maracas, but the other side was just the drumstick. Now they're devastated and I'm looking to replace it with something a bit more solid.

The Host
The Host
by Stephenie Meyer

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Bella Swan, you'll like Wanderer., 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Host (Paperback)
By the time I got to the end of The Host, I realised how much the heroine resembles Bella Swan. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, and I very much like the way Stephenie Meyer writes her characters, but if you gave a Twilight fan this book without telling them who the author was, I wouldn't mind betting they would be able to tell you! I didn't enjoy this as much as the Twilight series, because I didn't feel the same connection with the characters, but it's a very enjoyable and easily readable book, so overall I recommend it.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Some books are really as good as people say they are!, 16 July 2010
My friend had been obsessed by this series of books for about a year before I even started reading them, which I did out of curiosity to see what she was on about. When I read the first few chapters, I wasn't keen on the writing style, because it seemed a bit immature. Then, as I got deeper into the book, I realised what a brilliantly written book it actually is - it reads exactly like it's being narrated by a teenager, but with an adult perspective that makes it very sophisticated. I was even more certain of this after reading the second book, because Meyer exactly captures and records what I remember it being like being a hormonal teenager dealing with the gut-wrenching pain of being in love, but viewed from the experience of being an adult. I was seriously impressed by the first three books, totally absorbed and reading them late into the night, and eagerly awaiting the arrival of the last book from the library or in paperback from Amazon, whichever gets here first!

The Cure of Souls (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
The Cure of Souls (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
by Phil Rickman

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another excellent novel from Phil Rickman, 22 Sept. 2004
Every time I pick up a Phil Rickman book, I get completely absorbed and I can't put it down. This book is no exception - the story constantly keeps you guessing and you feel you HAVE to find out how it ends. The characters are familiar but not stale, the story is believable but just on the edge of reality... an excellent read.

Les Miserables: Complete Symphonic Recordings
Les Miserables: Complete Symphonic Recordings
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but still enjoyable, 1 Mar. 2002
I was disappointed with the quality of the singing - some of the cast seem to be trying too hard and the result is the impression of amateurish over-enthusiasm rather than the intense emotion I would usually associate with Les Miserables. Having said that, it is fantastic to have the whole musical rather than just the highlights and it's worth buying just for that.