Profile for The Axe Man > Reviews

Content by The Axe Man

The Axe Man (Hampshire, United Kingdom)

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 11.19

2.0 out of 5 stars I've read much better, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Audio CD)
What can I say? This seems to be a marmite book, which I hated. Perhaps the most high profile Booker prize winner of recent years, especially in light of HM's second Booker for the follow-up in this proposed trilogy. I had this on my book shelf for over two years but decided to take it on holiday with me. This was my first mistake, as this is most definitely not holiday reading. My second mistake was assuming this book would be good because it won the Booker prize. This was my most fundamental error. I've read a few Booker winners - they're a mixed bag. This, in my view, was one of the weaker winners. In fact so weak I question if the judges even read Wolf Hall. I am all for diversity in writing styles and plot construction. Certainly a non-linear plot is no problem... In principle. However, HM's writing style is, if I'm honest, just awful. She has little appreciation of grammar and the persistent use of 'he' is infuriating. This could have been a great book... In the hands of a more able word smith. Also, I sense HM tried to inject a darkly comic undertone. If this is the case, it did not shine through the muddled prose.

Fans of this book will write off critics as not being up to the challenge of the prose. My answer to that is HM is not up to the challenge of writing prose. I am a prolific reader of all genres and both fiction/non-fiction. I have read many challenging book. In the last 10 years I can't remember not finishing a book, until now. However, life is too short. The fact this book won the Booker prize calls into question the value of that prize. That it did win is more a reflection of the snobbery of that prize, rather than the literary merits of this book.

I rarely write Amazon reviews, and only ever positive, but I sufficiently disliked this book to feel the need to warn other potential readers. The only thing stopping me giving this book one star is the extras included at the end of this book, including an interview with HM. I thought this was a progressive idea. Also HM came across as likeable and down-to-earth in the author interview, which belied the pretentious and confused nature of her writing style. Also, I agree with her recent comments about the monarchy (I am not a fan) and for that reason alone she merits an additional star.

If you want an unorthodox book, written in a brilliantly unique way that is also darkly humorous, go for Catch-22. Although set in a completely different period (world war 2) it is one of the greatest novels ever written. In 20 years Wolf Hall will be forgotten by most of the reading public. Unfortunately this novel will most likely be the ruin of many A level English Lit students in years to come.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Hitchhiker series)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Hitchhiker series)
by Douglas Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply funny and moving, 4 May 2009
I agree with all of the other reviews, when they say HHG2G is the greatest series of books ever written. Quite simply, it is. HHG2G works on multiple levels, it is the height of literary genius. Not only is HHG2G hilarious in the most surreal, original and off the wall way, it is deeply moving. The book, and Arthur Dent in particular, is about all of us. We are all on our own quest for the meaning of life, and Douglas Adams helps us all with this quest by giving us a different insight into life. The moment where they find the meaning of life particularly brings a lump to my throat, as well as making me laugh out loud - that's why this is such a beautiful series of books.

The only bad joke in all of this is the universe took such a wonderful man at the age of 49.

Jupiter Moon - Volume 1 - Episodes 1 To 11 [1990] [DVD]
Jupiter Moon - Volume 1 - Episodes 1 To 11 [1990] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Pernicci
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish, 12 July 2008
Without doubt the single worst programme I have ever seen. Do not buy this. It is obscure and forgotten for a reason. I bet the now well known actors in this don't include it on their CV. 0 STARS.

They F*** You Up: How to Survive Family Life
They F*** You Up: How to Survive Family Life
by Oliver James

5.0 out of 5 stars This book could save your life, 28 April 2007
Well... may be not. It could certainly make you stop and think. While parts of it are debatable, especially in terms of the stuff on genetics and the focus on the first six years, it is in most ways an outstanding book. It is refreshing in that it does not try to be a self-help book. Yet, by avoiding the gimics and nonsense of many self-help books, it presents a superb account of how we as individuals come to be.

Personally I found it very helpful, it gave me a lot of insights into my own insecurities and provides a real anchor point for understanding. There are also some useful exercises throughout the book to do an 'emotional audit.'

This book is very well written and cogently summarises a lot of theories, as well as illustrating points with interesting biographies of well known people.

This book should have a wide appeal: to anyone who has struggled in relationships, to a student of psychology or related discipline, or to the intersted general reader.

Catch-22
Catch-22
by Joseph Heller

5.0 out of 5 stars A literary kick up the ass, 15 Nov 2003
This review is from: Catch-22 (Paperback)
This is without doubt the finest book I have ever read. Why? Because it has everything for anyone who wants to come to terms with the dumb world we live in. Firstly, it is an irreverent attack on mankinds ultimate stupidity: WAR; a subtle but devastating attack on mankind's second greatest stupidity: capatilism; and it's hilarious to boot. Catch-22 is the only book i've ever read that made me laugh and cry on the same page. It is a timeless classic that could have been set in any period. The pantheon of characters Heller creates are unforgetable, from Mindebinder the venture capitalist to the book's everyman protagonist, the sardonic (and sane) Yossarian.