Profile for Para-Urban Review > Reviews

Content by Para-Urban Review

Para-Urban Review "Para-Urban Review" (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sins of the Angels (The Grigori Legacy)
Sins of the Angels (The Grigori Legacy)
Price: 4.58

4.0 out of 5 stars The start of an exciting new series, 19 Oct 2013
Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy)

Armageddon is coming and the Angels of Heaven are desperate to stop it before it destroys humanity - all of it, if the agreement made many thousands of years ago is to be believed.

Aramael, a Power amongst angels, is sent to hunt his Fallen brother in the human realm and return him to Limbo, the prison of "nothing" from where he'd escaped. But Caim believes the soul of a Nephilim could return him to heaven...

Enter Alex, a strong, determined homicide detective with a disturbed, painful childhood - a childhood that's looks to be coming back to haunt her. She is also a Nephilim descendent.

This is Urban Fantasy with a twist! Filled with suspense, it's a thrilling ride from first page to last. The characters are so human (sic!), with real fears, vulnerabilities, hopes and heartache. Ms Poitevin's approach of intertwining the 2 most supreme beings of the human universe into the weave, seen from their perspective, is utterly unique.

While not a particularly devout person, there were instances where I startled at the personalisation of Heaven and Hell - in a good way! Ms Poitevin's writing style grabbed me from the first page. She writes forcefully, with so much emotion, I often found my hand flying to my mouth in awe/trepidation/surprise when one action-filled instant rolled into the next.

I highly recommend this book (and hopefully the full series) as it delivered everything it promised to - and more!

Price: 2.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe-inspiring, stunning story-telling, 19 Oct 2013
Sins of the Lost (The Grigori Legacy)

Sins of the Lost continues the awe-inspiring tale of love, betrayal, choices and redemption that kicked off with Sins of the Angels and continued in Sins of the Sons. This review took me hours to write, because OMG, what a book! I had no idea where to start, what to include without revealing the storyline and absolutely no way to express the feelings evoked while reading it.... A maelstrom of emotions that left me speechless!!!

Alex is still trying to put the wreck of her life together after the devastation of Lucifer's machinations, endeavoring to build a (normal) life with Seth by her side; A Seth who is emotionally fragile, uncertain and clearly not understanding Alex's stance of protecting humanity - or the impact his loss of power is doing to the earth. And Seth will do anything to keep Alex by his side....

Forced to make choices that have devastating and far-reaching implications, Alex is once again reluctantly drawn into the war between Heaven and Hell - and this time it's personal! Fighting to protect those she loves while desperately struggling to right the imbalance between her hearts desire and her shattered soul, Alex finds herself walking the knife-edge of emotional survival.

Ms Poitevin takes you on an explosive, roller-coaster ride to Heaven and back, leaving you breathless, stunned and craving more. The story is intricately woven, seemingly random threads shaping into an entirely unexpected design. It's a story about choices, love, betrayal and hope - and which will have you clinging to a cliff by your metaphysical finger nails as all those threads weave together into a cataclysmic finale.

My expectations for the next book are huge (no pressure Ms Poitevin!) as the author has clearly demonstrated her literary skill by introducing twists that leave you overwhelmed, forcing you to leap to an, as yet, unconsidered path. There are NO foregone conclusions in this series!

And this book, Sins of the Lost, is by far the best book I have read this year!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 6 Oct 2013
Light, airy and very warm - totally love it! My previous duvet was 80% feather and 20% down and this one is the reverse with only 20% feather. It's far more snuggly and makes you feel totally wrapped in comfort. It was a really good buy.

Ultrabounce Hollowfibre Pillows, Pack of 4, White
Ultrabounce Hollowfibre Pillows, Pack of 4, White
Price: 24.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!, 6 Oct 2013
I purchased these pillows based on some of the good reviews on Amazon - and the fact that they "bounced" back. However, when they arrived I was very surprised to feel how light they were - no substance to them and very, very flat. I have yet to see any bounce and I had to use them as sleeping pillows, I would need 3 of them to give the same support from my current 'neck support' pillow.

I bought 8 of them for the family and feedback from all is that they were horrible to sleep on, went flat as soon as you lay on them and didn't offer any support.

I do not recommend them at all.

ANIMAL Mens Half Pipe Dark Brown Slippers FM3WC012 - H99 - 09A 9 UK, 43 EU
ANIMAL Mens Half Pipe Dark Brown Slippers FM3WC012 - H99 - 09A 9 UK, 43 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfy, 29 Sep 2013
I bought them for my son, Really good fit although I did buy a size larger just in case! He lives in them.

Hilfiger Denim Maria Down Women's Coat Tommy Black Large
Hilfiger Denim Maria Down Women's Coat Tommy Black Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 21 Sep 2013
What a great, comfy, warm coat - can't wait to wear it daily once the colder weather comes in. I bought a larger size to make sure I could wear a few layers under it, and very glad I did so because I'm usually a 10-12 and the 14 fits just right. Well worth the money!

Wordpress for Beginners: A Visual Step-by-Step Guide to Creating your Own Wordpress Site in Record Time, Starting from Zero!
by Dr. Andy Williams
Price: 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new starters to Wordpress, 21 Sep 2013
What can I say...I'm a technophobe! I'm absolutely terrified of doing anything more than use a keyboard to browse and type so when I took on the task to start my own website, I wanted a guide that would show me where to start and lead me through the entire process. This book by Andy Williams does that - perfectly!
I'm now halfway through designing the site and can't wait to get it finished. I might have to get another, slightly more advanced book, but I should cope with it now after having learned my way around a wordpress site.
Only one small down-side - the book refers to an older version of Wordpress (2011) and my latest template is 2013. I did go back and use the recommended template as it was easier to follow the guide then, but there are updates in the latest version that don't exist in the book. But on a high note, it makes you learn a little more because you have to search :-)

Hypnia 12 inch Memory Foam Mattress, King Size 5ft x 6ft6
Hypnia 12 inch Memory Foam Mattress, King Size 5ft x 6ft6
Price: 250.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Big mistake, 21 Jun 2012
I bought this king size mattress based on the excellent reviews (bar 1) as I wouldn't normally buy a mattress "unseen". Wanting memory foam due to the alleged "support" offered by them, I thought I'd be getting a really comfortable, supportive mattress. After 3 weeks, I'm now looking for a new mattress! This one is extremely hard, if you move to a new position the "dent" in the memory foam bounces back so slowly you actually fall back into it or end up lying on ridges. I am very slim so it's not happening because I'm any heavier than anybody else.

I know it could take a while to get used to a new mattress and I think I've tested it long enough - lack of sleep and back/neck ache are my morning usuals now.

Recommendation: don't buy without testing first.

Rizla Rolling Machine Regular Size #including P & P*
Rizla Rolling Machine Regular Size #including P & P*
Offered by Premier Life Store
Price: 2.25

2.0 out of 5 stars definite no-no!, 17 Feb 2012
this is one item that doesn't do what it says on the tin! While the frame has a sturdy feel to it, it doesn't stay closed unless you consciously click the sides closed, resulting in tobacco flying everywhere! Where you insert the papers, there is also a wider gap than other rolling machines so, in most cases, the paper rolls out instead of around the tobacco. If it does work, the Roly is too loose to smoke. All in all, a very poor experience.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2013 6:17 PM BST