Profile for Kubernes > Reviews

Modern Square Chrome 4 Way GU10 Ceiling Spotlight
Modern Square Chrome 4 Way GU10 Ceiling Spotlight
Offered by The Light Factory

4.0 out of 5 stars Runs a bit too hot with halogens for my liking, 29 Nov. 2014
Depending on your ceiling fitting this may require a drill to fit (my fittings are 55 years old) but it's relatively easy to do if you are not totally impractical (if you are then you will need a handyman).

Nice style; very adjustable: you can get light where you want it.

Only worry I have is that it gets super-hot with 4 x 50 watt halogen bulbs installed, and I mean too hot to even touch. I immediately replaced 2 of the bulbs with equivalent LED 5 watt bulbs which has reduced the excess heat considerably; I'll replace the other 2 as and when my supply of 50 watt halogens runs out. The light output of the halogens is slightly better/pleasing than the LED but the LED are really not that different.

Samrick Specially Designed Leather Flip Case for Nokia Lumia 1320 - White
Samrick Specially Designed Leather Flip Case for Nokia Lumia 1320 - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected., 8 Nov. 2014
For me the buttons on the Lumia 1320 are a bit on the sensitive side and easily pressed by mistake; this case solves that problem, if it is a problem, by providing a slightly raised edge round the phone. Greatly improved useability.

Additionally the front section when folded back over the back section (when in use) seems to provide better sound output by reflecting the speaker back (if that makes any sense). Obviously you don’t press the flipped case hard against the back section, that would just mute the speaker.

Perfect fit; seems well made; there’s no reason not to give it a 5.

Nokia Lumia 1320 SIM-Free Smartphone - White (Windows, 6-inch, 8 GB)
Nokia Lumia 1320 SIM-Free Smartphone - White (Windows, 6-inch, 8 GB)
Offered by Wowcamera

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this ‘phone; just the thing if you want a 6” and have a limited budget., 6 Nov. 2014
The previous comment regarding its camera is unfair. It’s a perfectly adequate rear camera and, IMO, takes better quality than I expected photos. If photography is your thing then buy a ‘phone with a better camera (or buy a camera).

It needs a lot of software updating (perhaps newer stock wont?) so a WI-FI connection is essential for a start. And it’s still not the really up-to-date Phone8.1 even after all the updating it won’t do the folders thing with the tiles [6.11.14].

It should be noted that Windows Phone lacks apps. For example, if you are into downloaded vids then you will have to add the Moliplayer app (which I thought came with the ‘phone from some UTube vids I’ve seen, but does not) which costs £1.99 but, since I’ll be using it every day, is a trivial expense really. Also, if, like me, you need to transfer files back and forth a lot (PC, Andriod devices etc) then you will need a Wi-Fi enabled file app; there is only one true contender and that’s ShareFolder Explorer (it’s not a patch on FSExplorer but does the job) which is another £1.99; you can get round this using a usb cable and a file manager on your PC but cable connections are not ideal for frequent use (the charger cable supplied works just fine); or Skydrive (sorry Onedrive) but doing it that way is slow and a real PIA.

Lastly, I use the 3 network which has an app for Andriod and IOS that lets you use the ‘phone as a ‘phone via Wi-Fi but there is no version available for Windows Phone. So in poor/no 3 signal areas, which there are a lot of, you have a problem. Come on 3: get your finger out. If you use 3 and frequent poor signal areas where you need to use the ‘phone then this ‘phone is not for you until 3 gets its act together.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Wi-Fi extenders... these Powerlines are the most useful bit of kit I've bought in a long time., 10 April 2014
I've been messing about with wi-fi extenders for some time and, as far as my experience goes, they are practically a waste of time and money. The only satisfactory use I've found for the one I trailed was to use it to upgrade my ancient 54Mbps router wi-fi to 150Mbps, which it does well, provided you are in the same room. And that just about sums wi-fi up: it works if you are in the same room, otherwise forget it.

These Powerline things, however, actually do work; extending a network connection to anywhere in the house (and garden using an electric extension cable). And a reasonably fast one at that. Put a wall in-between wi-fi and its speed drops below useable immediately.

The only problem I had was my optical drive won't have anything to do with the mini-cd; but, hey, you don't need it anyway and if by some remote chance you do then you can download its contents from TP-Link's web site anyway.

Really useful, inexpensive, product. Build quality is great, too.

Just for reference I'm using it on both Windows and Linux machines; also, they work stuck on the ends of long trailing extension leads without any problems (mine don't have any surge protection, though).

10 x 100w WATT LIGHT BULB PEARL BAYONET FITTING LAMP
10 x 100w WATT LIGHT BULB PEARL BAYONET FITTING LAMP
Offered by The Lightbulb Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Dump your energy-saving bulbs for decent lighting, 30 Jan. 2014
Purchased form The Lightbulb Company.

Quick delivery and packed well (I was a bit worried as regards packing but The Lightbulb Company did a fine job; I will be buying some more from them).

There's not much one can say regarding a light bulb other than I've ditched all my vile energy-saving bulbs; totally fed up with their dreadful light-colour and depressing dimness.

Space Battleship Yamato [DVD]
Space Battleship Yamato [DVD]
Dvd ~ Takuya Kimura

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not recommended., 8 Sept. 2013
Sadly, not recommended.

I pre-ordered this.

I wanted to like it.

Unfortunately the film borders on tedious: I nearly fell asleep.

Compared with the anime (all of them, even the butchered by the Yanks Star Blazers) this film is a very, very poor effort.

Don't waste your hard-earned on this: get yourself copies of the current anime TV series Space Battleship Yamato 2199 which is truly superb; or any of the other TV/Film anime versions (even Star Blazers).

K-On! The Movie [DVD]
K-On! The Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aki Toyosaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any K-On! fan., 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: K-On! The Movie [DVD] (DVD)
Unlike quite a few anime theatre releases this one lives up to the TV series (both of them) standards.

Enjoyed it.

As per the title: this is a must have for any K-On! fan.

Why we have to wait such a long time for a UK release is beyond me in this day and age.

Samsung 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 48MB/s MicroSDHC Plus Memory Card without adapter
Offered by Wholesaleprice-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 10 Aug. 2013
My H2testw result:

Warning: Only 29970 of 29971 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 14.1 MByte/s
Reading speed: 16.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

so I guess that is passed.

I bought this one from Low Price Memory and it came with a Samsung adaptor despite the product info saying that an adaptor is not included.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya [DVD]
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yasuhiro Takemoto

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the 'nust watch' anime, 18 Aug. 2012
The bottom line is that this anime will draw you in from the start and its 155 minuites running time will not seem anywhere near that length. You will want to watch it again (and again).

As mentioned already it will be more enjoyable if you have already watched the two TV series (series 1 in particular); if you have not already done so then watch TV series 1 before you watch this. You can skip TV seires 2 if you want but I'd reccomend that you watch it just to see what people moan about.

Personally I find the Japanese language with subtitles infinitely preferable to dubbed English; even so, the English dub on this is not too bad. You always loose some meaning and nuance by not using the original Japanese sound track. Just give it a go, it's way better in Japanese and you can then disagree with the sub interpretation, after some practice.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars This is not a fridge!, 6 Aug. 2012
A fridge this is not; and ought not to be described as such.

It's a cool-box but even so only manages to keep things a few degrees cooler than the outside world; which may be ok in winter but not during the other 9 months of the year.

I've not tested its keeping things warm function.

I bought it as I needed something cheap to keep eye-drops in; fortunately it was winter at the time; and I no longer need the drops. It would be completely unsuitable for this use other than winter and in a cold kitchen.

It's also very, very noisy.

If you are looking for a fridge then look elsewhere.