Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Crossword Cryptic Lite
Crossword Cryptic Lite

3.0 out of 5 stars It is okay but not very 'cryptic', 24 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Crossword Cryptic Lite (App)
If you like serious British-style cryptic crosswords then you might find this app a bit underwhelming. It is supposed to be 'cryptic' but too many of the clues are simple anagrams and it is just too easy to complete them. Having said that, if you are new to cryptic crosswords and want simpler puzzles to practice on or just want a quick puzzle to do in a tea break then this app could be ideal. It has a nice, simple, easy to use interface which 'does what it says on the tin'. Nothing to write home about but nothing to complain about either. If they up-grade the crosswords - maybe produce add-on packs with harder crosswords for hard-core crossword fans - then this would get more stars from me. In a nutshell? Good but not great.

Mozart: Piano Sonatas Nos. 2 - 5
Mozart: Piano Sonatas Nos. 2 - 5

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Friend, 24 Sept. 2012
I bought this recording in 1990 (or thereabouts). In those ancient days, it was available only as a tape cassette. Even on a cassette the quality of the recording was excellent and the quality of the music absolutely breath-taking. I loved it then and am happy to have re-discovered the recording on Amazon. I have just downloaded it to my Cloud account. I will be listening to this often. Back then I had little interest in classical music and despised classical piano as 'plinky-plonky' rubbish -- or thought I did. I heard this and I was totally won over. I was so moved by the music that I sat down and wept the first time I listened to the tape. It still has the power to move me now after all the times I have heard this recording. I'm getting old and I am very sick. I think about my funeral and I want this music to play. Is that morbid? I apologise. I just wanted to express how great this music is. Buy it! You wont regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2014 10:49 PM BST

The Stupid Test Pro
The Stupid Test Pro

3.0 out of 5 stars okay but limited fun, 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Stupid Test Pro (App)
Installed on Samsung Galaxy S3 running ICS. Moderate challenges. Some solutions depend on your phone's settings rather than your ingenuity which can be frustrating. Once puzzles are solved there's no replay value. This is like a collection of the sort of puzzles they used to print on the backs of comics, cereal packets or crisp bags.

The River Tests
The River Tests

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor GUI, 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The River Tests (App)
Installed on Samsung Galaxy S3 running ICS. Cute cartoon graphics. But very irritating prompts interrupts play e.g. continually told touch river to cross it. To be told once is enough already. Puzzles involve simple logic. Fun for kids. Nothing to challenge adults.

Crossword Cryptic
Crossword Cryptic

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple puzzles for beginners, 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Crossword Cryptic (App)
No problems installing on Samsung Galaxy S3 running ICS. Clean user interface. Puzzles quite simple - excellent for children or others new to solving cryptic clues. Too many obvious anagrams etc to challenge experienced crossword solvers. But at this low price a no-brainer: buy it because it is very handy to have on phone or tablet for killing time when travelling etc. Would give more stars if there were more challenging puzzles. Think Mail crosswords rather than Times ;-)

The Treasure of Mystery Island
The Treasure of Mystery Island

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor GUI, 7 Sept. 2012
Paid version. App installed on Samsung Galaxy S3 with Ice Cream Sandwich. Prompted to sign up for Facebook. I LOATHE Facebook so would not sign up. Limited gameplay. Very insensitive controls. Tedious trying to use controls to select hidden items which are poorly defined and sometimes outside the visible screen. Cant recommend to S3 users.

JuiceDefender Ultimate
JuiceDefender Ultimate

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing but basically useful - I think, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: JuiceDefender Ultimate (App)
Downloaded from Google Play. Cost £4.99 not £3.18 so Amazon cheaper. Installed on Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and Zenithink tablet (both running Android Ice Cream Sandwich). Works on both. App offers many tweaks but most are unstable beta versions so I dont use them. I stick to basic presets and dont try to customise settings because I find this app hard to use to get the best effects. Needs better user instructions and selling it before out of beta is a bit cheeky. But I do get some gain in battery life so it does seem to work. I'd stick with the free version until you know it is worth up-grading. I like to buy apps because I like to support the developerd and I hate the ads and the cost is peanuts. But if you dont mind ads stick with free and you'll get some benefit.

Fabulous Origami Boxes
Fabulous Origami Boxes
by Tomoko Fuse

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea But Doesn't Deliver For Me, 22 July 2012
This review is from: Fabulous Origami Boxes (Paperback)
Bought this to inspire me to make attractive gift boxes for my hand-crafted items. There are some attractive designs but the instructions are implied rather than explained clearly. For example, it sets out step-by-step instructions but the actions to get from step x to step y are not always obvious. I found that the book hints at what you need to do to get a given result so making any of the more complex designs involves a lot of trial and error, at least that was my experience. Maybe this is a problem of translation or maybe I just don't know enough about the conventions of Japanese origami diagrams to pick up the information offered -- a more experienced origami maker might have fewer problems and therefore find this a more useful book. Perhaps origami is just one of those arts you can't explain through a book but have to see demonstrated in person and learn in a social context. Or maybe a DVD would be a better idea? Anyway, I probably would not buy this book again and this copy is probably going to spend more time on the shelf than being used but I may grow into it once I get used to how the author communicates or have had more practice making the designs I can understand.

Sunny Savers Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Black Executive PU Leather Flip Case / Wallet / Cover Card Money Holder With Screen Protector

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Item Available on eBay, 22 Feb. 2012
You can but this for about £8.00 on eBay. There it clearly states the item is made of plastic and that you cannot use the stylus while the phone is in the case. Other reviewers who give low rates for this item seem not to have done any homework before buying... I give it low marks because it is cheap and ugly and I don't know how anyone dares sell it for £16+.

Galaxy Note is new to UK market so not many accessories around yet. I think I'll wait a bit and see what turns up. All the accessories available so far are from China and although they are very cheap, especially if you buy direct e.g. via eBay, they are not of very attractive design -- you have a range of dull coloured gels, nasty-looking flower designs, some ugly flags, some bogus 'grain' effects or polka dots to choose from. Whooppee-I-think-not. Ugh!

Are there any designers able to offer quality and beauty at a reasonable price? Hello, I will buy that!

Stanley Gibbons Collect British Stamps 2011
Stanley Gibbons Collect British Stamps 2011
by Hugh (ed) Jeffries

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatly Improved Design, 8 Feb. 2012
Stanley Gibbons catalogues were always a must-have for stamp collectors. They are less essential now than they used to be before the internet but I still like having a printed catalogue for reference when managing my collection. I collect Great Britain stamps. Earlier years' editions of 'Collect British Stamps' had design flaws e.g. no index, no detailed explanation of jargon. The 2011 edition corrects this. There is a good introduction explaining the layout of the catalogue, the definition of specialist terms used by serious collectors, and an index to find stamps by description (formerly you had to flip through the catalogue page by page to identify a stamp by matching it to the illustrations). Sadly, the index is amateurish and fails to list all the stamps adequately e.g. the 1988 Australian Bi-centennial set. They need to employ someone qualified to index publications and have a professional index produced for the catalogue for this to be a really useful feature but it is a step in the right direction. In the 2011 edition, Stanley Gibbons also offer an explanation of their pricing policy which, in my opinion, is not convincing but it is at least an attempt to explain figures which otherwise seem to have been plucked out of thin air (the prices in the SG catalogue are always ludicrously over-estimated and therefore useless for indicating the true market value of stamps so I just ignore the price information and focus on the other details). Every Great Britain commemorative and definitive stamp is either listed or described in the catalogue in order according to date of first issue. The 2011 edition is in a larger format than earlier editions and printed on strong, clean white paper which will stand up to a lot of use. It looks like SG has woken up to the fact that they no longer dominate the market, especially now that so much stamp trading is done on-line, and thus have to do more to win and retain customers. They have upped their game and stamp collectors like me are benefiting because of it. Cheers! I like the 2011 edition better than previous editions and give it a higher rating all round. Well done, Stanley Gibbons. Nevertheless, I find the SG catalogue over-priced and usually buy not the current year but the previous year which is always available at a discount of up to 50% for good copies from 2nd-hand book dealers. I bought my 2nd-hand 2011 catalogue from a dealer on Amazon. Nice one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 7:16 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6