Profile for pagh > Reviews

Interstellar (2014)
Interstellar (2014)
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars What a missed opportunity..., 6 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Interstellar (2014) (Amazon Video)
Entertaining some time, but I got the feeling they started big and then the money or the interest dropped down, leaving this a wonderful missed opportunity to create a follow-up of Space Odissey. There are so many details that doesn't match, so many wrong things here and there, the feeling is that Nolan was on drug during the shooting.

In a few words: please give us back Kubrick and Arthur Clark.

Good to Eat: Riddles of Food and Culture
Good to Eat: Riddles of Food and Culture
by Marvin Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book. Now, 20 Nov. 2015
just one of the most interesting and curious book I ever read in non-fiction. A classic. I memorized most of it as it answers so many strange but popular questions in food and eating. Fantastic book. Now, every time someone says "I do not understand why we don't eat insects usually", or "I don't like the idea of eating horse meat!" I know how to reply...

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Work as expected, 20 Nov. 2015
I bought a large number of covers similar to these, as my fingers tend to consume keys very quickly.

This particular product is almost perfect. Only the Up and Down arrows keys on the right bottom corner don't perfectly match the key. However, they work fine as well. Also, unlike other protection, the name matches perfectly the key, including the top ON/OFF key on the right upper corner, marked with a "disk extract" symbol in some similar products. Also, you can see the lights behind them as the material is very light and semitransparent.

Pretty quick delivery too. Small package. No delivery fee.

Saucony Triumph ISO
Saucony Triumph ISO
Offered by Runmarkt

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to minimize injuries, 20 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Saucony Triumph ISO (Shoes)
Best A3 shoes. This is the second pair I bought as I found them perfect for people, like me, a bit overweighted, and no more "young" (on the ID...). Only problem: they last no more than 600 km (6 months for people heavily training), and the manufacturing has some small imperfections, although not impacting on performance, but just on the aesthetics.

I strongly suggest these shoes to anyone more than 80 Kg like me, neutral, trying to minimise injuries. Fantastic design. Very confortable.

Ipow® Rechargeable 4-led Flexible Clip on Desk Table Usb Light Lamp - Dual Adjustable Long Arm with 2 Head Perfect for Bbq, Grill, Reading, Working, Laptop, Book, Music, Piano, Bed, Desktop, Tabletop
Offered by Ipow-Official

4.0 out of 5 stars great product, but it could be improved., 20 Nov. 2015
Excellent and unique product. The rechargeable batteries (through USB) are absolutely a must. Light is strong and white. It last very long (never discharged it).

Only issues are
(1) a bit too heavy and bulky. The book tend to fold because of the additional weight. I would make one with one lamp only and a smaller clip.
(2) a pity they did not use a micro-usb connector type on the clip side. In this way it could be recharged using any cable, and not just the one supplied that can be forgotten somewhere or mixed or lost.

ML0101 New black keyboard cover skin for Apple macbook pro 13" 15" 17" (US Version keyboard only)

4.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: keys are NOT transparent., 22 May 2013
I have acid fingers apparently :) as my first Mac got insanely transparent keys (and in one case a little hole in the plastic!) in 2 years only. With this protection I hope to avoid the problem with my new laptop.

The cover fit very well on the keyboard. Two little remarks:
1. the upper right key symbol is wrong. It should show the DVD ejection symbol but it show the power on/off symbol.
2. they write in the description "Ultra thin and high transparent", but actually the keys are almost completely opaque, so the symbols are invisible in the darkness. This is a bit annoying but one can still remove the protection for a while if working in the darkness.

Garmin Nuvi 1310 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps and Bluetooth
Garmin Nuvi 1310 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps and Bluetooth

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Chile - Garmin please update the map!, 29 May 2011
I got a nuvi 1310 in Chile and found it almost useless in this country. Even in the middle of Santiago I found uncharted roads. The road where I live exists since 20 years but it is not mapped (Garmin didn't updated this country's map since years). Unbeleavably, it says "right" when you have to turn left and the opposite (this applies to any language). How such an enormous mistake can pass the tests I really don't know... After an year, the battery lasts about 5 minutes. The cord is too rigid. When I tried to make a system update with the garmin webupdate it didn't warn me that I would have lost all my personal data. Just a piece of crap. Ridicolous that a company like Garmin can sell in this country such a pathetic item. Thumb down!

Acer Aspire 4810T 14-inch HD LED Laptop (Intel Pentium ULV SU4100, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium, 8+ Hour Battery Life, 1.9 kg)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product after a little twicking..., 31 Oct. 2009
I read many reviews and decided to buy this laptop to my wife that was looking for an updated, light, no-noise computer for audio editing, presentations and writing.
I found a reconditioned unit at less than 400£ and ordered it (Curry). I received it at my work the day after. This is a unit with 250GB HDD and 3GB RAM.

At a first glance the laptop look great, light, with a nice monitor (this was a 4810T353G model, with a "solo" core intel cpu). However, after playing with it for a while my wife was very disappointed because the unit was crawling time by time, apparently freezing and incredibly slow over the internet.

After finding a lot of comlaints about this model over the internet by googling for "ACER 4810T too slow" I was almost sending it back when I tried to twick a little bit and... guess what? First, I found that these unit, sold with Vista Home, can be updated to Windows 7 for free, by going to the ACER website (and paying for 12.75£ shipping) or picking the update at a seller shop (for free, but not available, I guess, for reconditioned units). This may be advertised in original units, but it was not in my reconditioned one, so, be advised. I'm currently waiting for the update - I'm sure after updating the operating system it will become even faster.

However, while waiting I checked the system and I think I found the reason it was freezing and so ridicously slow.

The point is that the system is set by the manufacturer for the craziest power saving options EVEN when attached to the power cord. So, if you righ-click on the "power" icon on the tray (right-below corner of the screen), then click on "power option", select "Change plan setting" below "Cyber power setting" and than on "Change advanced power setting", you can change most of the setup to something reasonable.

The option that seems to actually create the slow performances looks like the hard disk that is set by default to be turned off after 1 min by default in battery mode, and 2 mins in power mode!! By setting it to "never" or to a much more reasonable 15 or 30 mins, most of the crashes have already gone.

The second twick is to turn the "Wireless Adapter Settings - Power Saving mode" to "Maximum Power Saving". This seems to boost the laptop performances by a factor 10 sometime (I checked downloading time side by side with my old dell inspiron 9400).

The new HDD setup will not actually affect the time it lasts on battery, as most of the benchmark test are run during intensive, continuous operations, while the wireless one will actually drain more current from the batteries. However, play with the "Power Option" as you like to find the right balance and you will find this unit is exceptional, light, well done and also give you access to the much better Windows 7 for free.

After reading more and more review I would say this unit it is by far worth the money. For 400£ my wife has a system that is perfect for her use. The only reason of slight comploaint is the keyboard that is too glassy and those flat keys doesn't give a nice grip but for a nice feeling.

Hope this may help!

paolo
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2010 1:36 PM GMT

Edimax PS-1206MFG 1 Port USB Wireless print server for All-in-1 Multifunctional Priner

2.0 out of 5 stars never fully functional, 9 Jun. 2009
It's more than an year now I have this item. My home network run 4 WinXP PCs and a Linux Ubuntu laptop.

However, I can't say it has ever been fully working: today it works, and tomorrow it doesn't. No matter what I do. At some point I gave up and, given that the printer is close to the router, I decided to disable the wireless and use the wired capabilities. However, also in this case, with reduced capabilities, I never got to the point in which I have a fully working device when I need it. My wife has sometime to move and connect the printer, a Canon IP4300 ("fully compatible") directly to the USB port of her computer

Consider I have quite an high-level of skills in computers as I routinary develop software and build pscientific instrumentation.
et
I also tried with Linux (Ubuntu 9.04): at some point it was working but as there are no official driver, it is impossible to read the ink level etc.

I do not suggest this item to people in search for an easy and reliabile solution. Consider, whenever possible, to buy a network-printer instead.

Krups Nespresso XN2001 Coffee Maker, Slate, 1 Litre
Krups Nespresso XN2001 Coffee Maker, Slate, 1 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product but..., 1 April 2009
I found one of this machine in the room of an Hotel in London. Amazingly, I found myself really impressed by the result. The coffee was excellent and the machine a piece of cake to use.

I found very difficult to enjoy coffee in this country (UK). It looks like, despite the coffee and machine brand used the result goes from horrible to disgusting and that almost nobody care about that. I think the problem is the quality of the water and the lack of proper machine maintenance, plus the fact they do not use very often the espresso machines in restaurant and bars.

Therefore the Nespresso came as quite a surprise. In two days me and my wife drunk so many espressos I started to feel a bit dizzy. I imported other potential good coffee machines from Italy here but never found a good substitute to an espresso in the few places I know in Rome (even better in Naples, where the average coffee quality is rather outstanding!!!) or in some arabian country.

This system looks like an exception. The cream is perfect, the coffee is short as I like, the taste sweet, not burst. The only problem is that the flavour looks to me a bit "artificial". I can't explain this, but I think they have to add some chemicals to make the coffee looks so good. Just an impression. However, this was the best coffee I drunk in UK and the machine looks well designed for easy of use by a just-awaken customer.

definitively a product to reccommend

Page: 1 | 2