Profile for Pickle > Reviews

Content by Pickle

Pickle "Branston" (Leighton Buzzard Beds)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Gibsons 500 XL Pieces Swings and Roundabouts Jigsaw Puzzle
Gibsons 500 XL Pieces Swings and Roundabouts Jigsaw Puzzle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 30 Jan 2014
I am a fan of Gibson's 500 XL jigsaw puzzles, as they are still difficult [relatively], amusing , a good size and pieces easy to handle. This puzzle was extremely easy [I thought] I sat and did it in one hit [3-4 hours] usually they last double that time. I liked the subject & the nice bold colours.

Gibsons 500 XL Pieces Puppies Will Be Puppies Jigsaw Puzzle
Gibsons 500 XL Pieces Puppies Will Be Puppies Jigsaw Puzzle

4.0 out of 5 stars More difficult than I thought, 29 Jan 2014
I almost didn't buy this as it looked too easy. Well appearances can be deceptive. My only problem with it is that the quality is not up to the usual Gibson standard, a few pieces had not been totally cut through , however that could just be a one off.
I enjoyed doing this.

Gibsons 500 XL Pieces Cats on Holiday Jigsaw Puzzle
Gibsons 500 XL Pieces Cats on Holiday Jigsaw Puzzle

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed doing it, 23 Jan 2014
I'm not a jigsaw fanatic, but I do like doing the 500XL puzzles as they can be difficult. Usually they take me 2-4 days to do, in between doing other things. Whilst I enjoyed doing this one it is no where near as difficult as others {e.g. Botanical Boffins} it only took me just over an evening.

200 Fair Isle Designs: Knitting Charts, Combination Designs, and Colour Variations
by Mary Mucklestone

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 14 Jan 2014
I volunteered to knit a cushion cover in Fairisle for an exhibition. I had never knitted Fairisle before, despite having knitted for 50 years.
I am now knitting my 3rd cushion cover, they are 55 cm square, so not small cushions.
I used the designs in this book for the cushions, staring with the two row simple patterns and gradually worked up to bigger and more complex patterns. Stripping them.I also used colours that whilst they complemented each other where very clear [ie cream on dark green] I now use more subtle colours [different shades of red in the same design which is very pleasing]The whole family are impressed.
My daughter loved the first one so much that she asked me to knit her one for her birthday [she's getting two]. The one that went on display was much admired and it encouraged others to try knitting in Fairisle. My only down point was totally personal I didn't like some of the colour combinations used, so I just did my own thing.

Knit Step by Step
Knit Step by Step
by Vikki Haffenden

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Knit Step by Step (Hardcover)
This is a great little book.
I have lots of knitting books , this is nice and clear good pictures and in plain English.
Not suitable, in my opinion, for somebody who wants to learn to knit I would suggest, Usbornes How to Knit for absolute beginners, followed by DK's A Little Course in Knitting followed by this one, some of the techniques shown in this book are also in A Little Course of Knitting. Great projects. I will be buying this for a friend as she gets more & more experienced.

A Little Course in Knitting
A Little Course in Knitting
by Dk

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant, 14 Jan 2014
I bought this as a present for a friend who has not been knitting for long.
She taught herself from Usbornes "How to Knit" this book has became the next stage as things are getting more intricate, she loves it.
I wouldn't recommend for a brand new knitter i.e. one who has never picked up any knitting needles, but for next steps it's great. Nice clear pictures, instructions written in plain English, I have been knitting for 50 years and I still learnt some new techniques from this book.

How To Crochet:  A Complete Guide for Absolute Beginners
How To Crochet: A Complete Guide for Absolute Beginners
by Alison McNicol

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 29 Aug 2013
Now this book I would definitely recommend to individuals who wish to learn to crochet, nice clear pictures English instructions [as against American]. A good first purchase to get you going.

First Steps in Crochet
First Steps in Crochet
by Mary Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: First Steps in Crochet (Paperback)
I do like the book, but it is written with American instructions which could confuse us in the UK, especially if you are just learning. Would have been nice if a conversion leaflet had been enclosed. As a relatively experienced crocheter I can convert myself and explain it to leaners. But to learn for the book, I'm not sure.

Pack of 100g - Mixed Sizes of Various Shaped Mixed Buttons for Sewing and Crafting
Offered by CelloExpress

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really what I was hoping for but will do., 29 Aug 2013
Delivery was nice and quick. Good selections of colours, would have been nice if I had, had at least two of each button. Quality not bad. Will to added to my stash of buttons, so that children will have a good choice for craft work.

PURPLE Soft Anti Polar Fleece Fabric, Top Quality Soft Fleece Material 150cm width Sold by 1 metre unit
Offered by falconsuperstore

3.0 out of 5 stars Ummmm, 29 Aug 2013
Delivery was nice & quick. However I do not consider it to be top quality, however it is suitable for my purpose which is for children to make either scarves or cushions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3