Profile for Mr. H. Heywood > Reviews

Content by Mr. H. Heywood

Mr. H. Heywood "HaRoHe" (London)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars 8GB SDHC, 4 Aug. 2009
Definite 5 stars for the price but not particularly fast. Can take around 15-20 photos on my 500D continuously without stopping so for general use it's pretty good.

Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR Camera (incl. EF-S 18-55 mm IS Lens Kit)
Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR Camera (incl. EF-S 18-55 mm IS Lens Kit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic DSLR, 4 Aug. 2009
I bought this camera about 2 weeks ago and it has exceeded all expectations. Being my first DSLR I tried to make sure I bought the best camera for my money. Initially I was going to buy the 450D on price but the extra few megapixels and better screen (which is stunning) swayed me. I'll try not to repeat any previous reviews but my observations are as follows;
In many respects this camera does all of the work for you. You could quite happily use the basic zone modes (auto modes) and take great photos or just use them whilst you get to grips with the complexity of manual modes.
The camera is also stunning aesthetically. It is slightly more rounded than previous models but as a consequence is also a touch smaller, especially the grip. For someone like myself who has large hands it is still not too much of a problem but if you feel like this may be a problem then a battery grip should rectify this.
In 2 weeks I probably charged this camera once and took almost a thousand photos.. great battery life considering the performance.
The buttons on the 500D are cleverly thought out except in the live view where the '*' button serves as the AF button and when filming the 'live view' button is stop/start recording.
The HD video mode is very good - I didn't consider this feature when buying but it is a very useful one to have just in case.
The only problems I have had are with memory cards. I was initially using a 2Gb one I already had but this was way too small but have recently bought a new 8Gb one which holds about 1,100 JPEG images. When you buy a card don't go for the cheapest go for the fastest (class 6). A standard SanDisk one will take about 15-20 continuous shots then will slow down or stop.
All in all a fantastic DSLR that I would recommend to anyone, especially if you take pictures of sporting events or landscapes as the Canon really seems to capture vivid colours and action well. This is by far and away the best camera in this price bracket too when compared to a D90 for example.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2011 5:06 PM GMT